Mint/Google search engine

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
aeternal

Mint/Google search engine

Post by aeternal »

The idea is quite simple, since not everybody uses firefox as browser it would be nice if it was possible to use "your" search engine even in other browsers.
For instance I noticed that Clem's add-on doesn't work in Iceweasel. I would be a great thing if we could actually use it even there.
Besides that I was wondering if it was possible to have a similar thing even in other browsers, mainly into Chrome but also other browsers. I'd like to contribute but I really don't like firefox. Iceweasel would be better actually, but if we could do it directly from Chrome it would be perfect.
DrHu

Re: Mint/Google search engine

Post by DrHu »

aeternal wrote:The idea is quite simple, since not everybody uses firefox as browser it would be nice if it was possible to use "your" search engine even in other browsers.
That would be OK, if it was a choice for the user, and perhaps would be added as an extension that could be downloaded
--I do understand that it does help Mint to get bowser/search engine hits, and I don't fault them for that. I just make other choices, for example I use www.scroogle.org as my search engine (Google page scraper)

And here I thought most people liked a choice and object to the custom search engine/default selection that browsers tend to foist onto users
--whether that is Google (60%), Microsoft bing (15%) others or a personal choice (remaining %)

I don't particularly like Firefox either, so I use Opera..
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Hello,

I have also came to know that Mint Custom search engine generates revenue for Linux mint. I would like to use it, but i hardly use firefox.
Can anyone give me a link / url for Mint custom search engine, since i would like to add it to opera and chrome even when surfing in XP (at my office).
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

never mind, i found the link

http://www.linuxmint.com/start/isadora/

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”