Real time kernel for audio [Solved]

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Flesh

Real time kernel for audio [Solved]

Post by Flesh »

I'm new to Mint after Ubuntu Studio update to 11.04 installed Gnome 3, didn't like it at all, not Unity nor Classic without effects, removing Unity was no help either; so now I switch, never thinking about Real time kernel support for Audio; now I've searched the web and only found a few references to this subject but none answering the question: Does Mint have a Real Time Kernel?

I do not see linux-rt, and I know you can not install Ubuntu Studio in Mint.

I am unsure how jackd support for real-time audio works without a kernel that support it.

I'm all for a Mint Studio version, but the closest I have heard mentioned was a Media Version; but what I am looking for is just a Real Time Kernel; I can install what ever software I require; whereas Ubuntu Studio installs most of the software I need and a Real Time Kernel.

Update: I assumed you can not install Ubuntu Studio in Mint; maybe that is incorrect, Has anyone successfully installed Ubuntu Studio in Mint?

Can I compile Mint to have Real Time support?

Or is 64 Studio a better option.

And lastly, should I just stick to Ubuntu Studio 10.10 until a better solution comes around?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Real time kernel for audio

Post by richyrich »

Hey Jeff,

1) Ubuntu real time kernel - available for install via Synaptic Package Manager.

2) Ubuntu Studio, desktop, apps, etc. - available for install via Synaptic Package Manager.

3) jackd - available for install via Synaptic Package Manager.
Flesh

Post by Flesh »

richyrich wrote:
1) Ubuntu real time kernel - available for install via Synaptic Package Manager.

2) Ubuntu Studio, desktop, apps, etc. - available for install via Synaptic Package Manager.

3) jackd - available for install via Synaptic Package Manager.
Question on 1 and 2: Can you install Ubuntu real time kernel in Mint without tanking it?

I do not believe you can install Ubuntu Studio in Mint; my question was about the Real Time Kernel in Mint.

I'm using Jackd of chores; so other than that thanks for the reply.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

LM10 main edition is based on Ubuntu, and should give you no problems whatsoever when installing Ubuntu packages. So go ahead, you'll have no problems.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
Flesh

Post by Flesh »

Are we talking about installing ubuntustudio-desktop?

I have tried this to upgrade Ubuntu to Ubuntu Studio, it didn't install the Real Time Kernel, as I thought it would.

If not, what package do I install just to get the rt kernel?
I don't care about all the apps; I can install them separately.

This is the command line I use to upgrade Ubuntu to Ubuntu Studio
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-video

I have had no problem install all but ubuntustudio-desktop, which installs all the themes and menus; this is the one that will hose the system, which is fine, I have files backed up; but doesn't help install the rt kernel.

Let me rephrase the question so its clear: How do I install or Compile a real-time kernel in Mint?

This doesn't find the files in the Repos
sudo apt-get install linux-rt linux-headers-rt

Thanks for all the help.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2736
  • Real time or low latency, since there are different understanding about what real time means
    --for Scientific and precise process where timing is critical, hard real time systems are appropriate, otherwise a low latency kernel should be sufficient
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux ... ime-linux/
  • Hard real-time vs. soft real-time systems
    An operating system that can support the desired deadlines of the real-time tasks (even under worst-case processing loads) is called a hard real-time system. But hard real-time support isn't necessary in all cases. If an operating system can support the deadlines on average, it's called a soft real-time system.
Since Mint version you want to use is based on Ubuntu's libraries, kernel choices and desktop
--you should just be able to get the Ubuntu versions, see the link above to find the name to fetch..
  • Then either, use a source file and compile or try the binary version(s) if it is close enough to what you want to use..
Flesh

Post by Flesh »

Thanks for the help; I see what the problem is now; there is no Real-time kernels for any newer version of Ubuntu, 10.10 or 11.04; so it looks like I'll have to look a 64studio or some other distro of Linux for a real-time kernel.

This seems to be due to the person working on the realtime kernel is working on the newest kernel release and skipped the versions that Ubuntu is currently working with; so in time it will be available.

For now I like Mint better than Ubuntu; but with no RT kernel, its a moot point for me.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

When I type "linux-rt" in the Synaptic quicksearch box, I get the meta package file of the same name, this is what you mark for installation.

You may also want to install startup-manager, so you can set the rt kernel to be at the top (default) of the grub boot list.

ps: I didn't instruct you to install the desktop, just pointed out to you that they are in Synaptic.

good luck, richy
Flesh

Post by Flesh »

richyrich wrote: When I type "linux-rt" in the Synaptic quick search box, I get the meta package file of the same name, this is what you mark for installation.
I'm running Mint 10 x64 and Ubuntu Studio 11.04 x64 (two different machines and as a dual boot), I do not see linux-rt in there, and I checked to see when it was taken out of the repos and it seems like 10.04; you must be running an older version or have repos included that have this support; do you have it installed and working? If so what repos is it in?

I did find a ppa with realtime and lowlatency kernels: https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+archive/ppa but its only for Ubuntu 10.4 and 11.04

I'm re-installing Mint 10 x64 after a failed attempt to install 64Studio (no network adapter), I'll try the 10.4 linux-realtime and see if I can get this to work.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Yea, my apologies, Mint 9 (Lucid) is just so darn solid. I'm running the 38.8 generic lucid kernel, and only need to tweak my audio software to get acceptable LL.

Reading some of those forum threads it seems that most Mint 10/Maverick people are installing/using the Natty kernel from your abogani ppa link.

Lucid kernel ppa: http://ppa.launchpad.net/kernel-ppa/ppa/ubuntu
Flesh

Post by Flesh »

richyrich wrote: Mint 9 (Lucid) is just so darn solid.
I agree, I'm going to go back to Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid x64; it has the Real Time Kernel, it worked great, do not know why I ever upgraded, sometimes its best not to; I will still keep a multi-boot with Mint and Ubuntu 11.04 just for testing.

Thanks, you guys have been a big help, I thought I was losing it.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Flesh wrote:I will still keep a multi-boot with Mint and Ubuntu 11.04 just for testing.
Talking about testing, Mint 11 RC is out: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1752
Flesh

Post by Flesh »

nunol wrote:
Flesh wrote:I will still keep a multi-boot with Mint and Ubuntu 11.04 just for testing.
Talking about testing, Mint 11 RC is out: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1752
Now I can test it with the linux-lowlatency kernels at https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+archive/ppa, wouldn't that be great if it works good; I'm still hoping for a realtime kernel to release.
phredbull
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Real time kernel for audio [Solved]

Post by phredbull »

I know this is marked as "solved", but have you looked at the Liquorix Kernel Project? They provide multimedia oriented, RT kernels, and have a PPA as well...
Apple iMac, Core2Duo 2.0gHz, 3gb, ATI Radeon Mobility X1600
-Mint Nadia Cinnamon
-Mac OSX 10.5.8
Compaq Evo N610c, P4M 2.8gHz, 7688mb, ATI Radeon m7500
-LMDE XFCE
-Mint Katya Gnome
-Windows XP
Ext. HD
-Mint Isadora Fluxbox
USB stick
-#! Statler
frodopogo

Post by frodopogo »

FWIW,

Inspired by this thread, I installed the real time kernel with Synaptic package manager last night,
and Mint 9 Isadora main edition is running just fine with it.
Ikem

Post by Ikem »

phredbull wrote:Have you looked at the Liquorix Kernel Project?
silentquasar

Post by silentquasar »

For anyone who comes across this thread, the Alessio Bogani PPA is now at https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+archive/realtime.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”