super user

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flawless

super user

Post by flawless »

how do i run terminal as the super user?

i know you can type sudo before the command. but i want to know how i can run as the super user so i dont have to type sudo before every command.

thanx in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rich_roast

Re: super user

Post by rich_roast »

There are a variety of ways to achieve this but for all that is holy please make sure you understand the risks of running around with root permissions, even if it's only running terminal as root.

AFAIK sudo should be remembering that you've run the command recently and further sudo operations for about five minutes or some other timeout should not pester you for your password. I don't know how to increase the timeout but it might be worth investigating this as a solution.

If you, like me, open a directory as root in your file explorer program then opening a terminal using the right click menu should open the terminal as root.

There is also the command

Code: Select all

su
which substitutes root for your user, meaning that all commands you enter will be as root thereafter until you exit root's account with

exit
which you ought to do before closing the terminal window, as su runs as a process (if you're running Gnome's terminal you'll get a warning if you try to close the terminal window without exiting su first to this effect).
flawless

Post by flawless »

thanx v.much i have been typing all sorts to get it to run as super user i forgot the command because i went back to using windows as i use it to make my music.

just another quick question is there any way of getting reason 4.0 to work in linux?
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Reason 4.0 apparently runs quite well using Wine. Check the Winehq app database:

http://www.winehq.org/search?cx=partner ... rg%2F#1314
guigum

Post by guigum »

The easiest way I found is to use this command

'sudo passwd root'

You may or may not be prompted for your current login, as usual, then you will be prompted to set a new passwd and confirm this passwd. This is the root or 'su' password. 'su' exists, they just don't give us the passwd..

(ie) sudo passwd root
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully

su will work with this new password, at least it did for me. Mint 9
trollboy

Post by trollboy »

The simplest way is to to run the command

sudo -i
which give you a root terminal until you type the command

exit
or close the terminal.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Use one of these things:

sudo -i
sudo su
su
They should all work, without the need to set a password: they want your own password if there's no root password set (even su does this).
I prefer su as it is shorter to type.

Edit. If you are running a distro which configures a root password during install, sudo -i and sudo su usually do not work, and you need to do su.
Last edited by AlbertP on Mon May 09, 2011 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
trollboy

Post by trollboy »

I never even thought of trying su on its own. Sweet.
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

The sudo command basiclly gives you Terminal root privileges , but using only ONE password for sudo and First User.
With Debian you crreate two passwords at install , one for Root and one for User.
The above method described by guigum sets up the Root account after install to work like Debian. You will have two passwords, but you will not have to run the sudo command at every line in a long Terminal process.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

rich_roast wrote:until you exit root's account with

exit
Or just with the shortcut Ctrl+d :wink:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
trollboy

Post by trollboy »

linuxviolin wrote:
rich_roast wrote:until you exit root's account with

exit
Or just with the shortcut Ctrl+d :wink:
Or Alt + F4 but to be fair that doesn't work in a tty either :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”