How do I install Wine 1.3.19 in LMDE?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
r2rX

How do I install Wine 1.3.19 in LMDE?

Post by r2rX »

Hey everyone,

I recently just switched from Ubuntu to LMDE. However, i'm a bit spoiled by Ubuntu; just add a 'ppa' for wine and all the necessary packages and dependencies are downloaded and automatically installed/configured....plus, always being kept up-to-date.

However, it's not quite the same in Debian.

Could someone explain to me what to do?

There is http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/ where I can download the source code or the individual .deb binaries. Should I install from the source code? Or install the .deb packages? Also, how do I resolve dependency issues?

I'm really trying to learn linux a bit more than usual now (as Ubuntu pretty much held my hand the whole time).

Any advice/help is appreciated.

r2rX :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anmys

Re: How do I install Wine 1.3.19 in LMDE?

Post by anmys »

I had installed wine 1.3.17 from ubuntu ppa on my LMDE (i386). It gave me no problems with respect to the applications I ran.

On my debian system (testing+unstable), I have wine 1.3.19 from ubuntu ppa and as before, no issues.

Regards.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can resolve the dependencies by installing Wine 1.2 from the repository. After that, you can remove Wine 1.2 and all its components (all packages with a name that starts with wine or wine-1.2) and install Wine 1.3.19 using the DEB files, under binary packages.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
barko

Post by barko »

Or... you can use PlayOnLinux and you can install MANY different versions of Wine ;)
luis.nando

Post by luis.nando »

I am interested on the theme, barko could you teach how to install different versions of wine under PlayOnLinux and then use it to install more windows software (those not normally supported by PlayOnLinux)?

Regards,
Luís Fernando de Araújo
barko

Post by barko »

luis.nando wrote:I am interested on the theme, barko could you teach how to install different versions of wine under PlayOnLinux and then use it to install more windows software (those not normally supported by PlayOnLinux)?

Regards,
Luís Fernando de Araújo
It's simple:

1. run playonlinux
2. tools -> manage wine versions
3. install desired wine versions
4. close and
5. click on Install button
6. click on "Install a .pol package or an unsuppored application" text
7. click on manual installation and next and again next
8. type name of wine prefix (for example if you install Portal 2 type: portal2)
9. click next and find setup program and install it

this is really mini-howto - anyway, i use playonlinux even if i have unpacked software without installation part, i select for install some fake file, and for shortcut right program which i want run

sorry for my messy english :) i hope you understand it right
r2rX

Post by r2rX »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I ended up installing Wine from the Ubuntu PPA at the moment. For some reason, attempting to install the individual .deb packages didn't work. I could've installed the source and slowly installed all it's dependencies....but I was impatient to test some games. :p

Wine runs much better in Debian than Ubuntu. In Ubuntu, i'd get crazy stuttering as models/textures were being loaded/cached.....so far, in LMDE, i've not experienced that.

Anyway, thanks alot. :)

r2rX :D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It's not caused by Ubuntu itself, I have played a 3D (DirectX 7) game on Mint 10 + Wine (several 1.2 and 1.3 versions) with even less stuttering than in Windows.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Rather than taking a huge risk of screwing up your LMDE system by using an Ubuntu PPA, build the package from source.
It really isn't that difficult. Ubuntu is NOT Debian and while installing a package or two may work OK there is no guarantee that a future update won't totally hose your system. Stick with packages built for Debian on Debian and packages built for Ubuntu on Ubuntu.

Use the source from http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/ and follow the steps at:
Debian User Forums • View topic - HowTo Build a Package from Source the Smart Way - http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=38976
r2rX

Post by r2rX »

I will do that, craigevil....also, if I want to learn linux beyond what I know now, these are elements I should learn and develop the appropriate habits.

Thanks for all the posts so far, guys. ;)

r2rX :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”