Nvidia GT 430 Drivers

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Jerry N
Level 4
Level 4

Nvidia GT 430 Drivers

Post by Jerry N »

How do I install drivers for NVIDIA GT 430? My new GT 430 card works really great in Windows 7 and after I figured out how to install NVIDIA's drivers it works fairly well in Mint 9 but I have had no luck at all in getting anything but the ugly default configuration in LMDE (1024 x 1280 on a 1080 x 1920 monitor). Do I have to edit a configuration file? Is there no hardware control function in LMDE?

Jerry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Nvidia GT 430 Drivers

Post by DrHu »

Jerry N wrote:Do I have to edit a configuration file? Is there no hardware control function in LMDE?
..Is there no hardware control function in LMDE?
You must really mean software control function, such as windows might use to install a device driver

If in Linux, you would have to edit a text file, such as /etc/X11/xorg.conf, how hard is that, if you have found out what has to be changed/edited in that file
--for nvidia, you can always use nvidia-setting with the prefix of gksudo, in order to be able to write to the X-server system directory of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
  • That method, using nvidia-settings is about as automatic as it gets, since that utility is a GUI application: that is, a software control function
The driver for your card is..
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html
  • GeForce 400 series:
    GTX 480, GTX 470, GTX 465, GTX 460, GTS 450, GT 430
--and as you will probably know, this is an nvidia supplied Linux binary driver, which should install quite easily, and support that card..
If you find a later dated (newer) version for that card, use it..
Jerry N
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jerry N »

DrHu Wrote: "You must really mean software control function, such as windows might use to install a device driver"

No I mean software access to hardware drivers as in Mint 9, 10, etc etc.

Of course I can change a configuration file (I'm old but I'm not completely senile!) - If I can find out what to change.

I tried installing the NVIDIA 260.xxxx drivers as defined by NVIDIA. I got messages indicating that the installation was a success (just like in Mint 9) but when I rebooted to the desktop there was no indication that anything but low resolution default drivers were in use.

Jerry
Dr.m0x

Post by Dr.m0x »

I did this and it worked just fine

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig
sudo nvidia-xconfig
sudo reboot

Running nvidia-xconfig in particular was the key thing in getting it working for me. It will configure xorg.conf automatically.

Sent from my Gingerbread loaded Desire HD.
Jerry N
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jerry N »

Dr.m0x: That worked perfectly! While Windows 7 is still my primary operating system and will be for some time yet, I have been playing and experimenting with Linux, particularly Mint, Ubuntu, and Puppy, for nearly 4 years so I don't think I am a complete novice in that world. However, I haven't the foggiest notion about how I should have found that particular set of installation instructions except by asking questions on a forum.

Unfortunately, the result of today's experiment with LMDE shows that it does not play .mts video files (from a Canon HD camcorder) any better than Mint or Ubuntu, ie all herky-jerky. I have tried a lot of things in Mint 9 to get better .mts playback performance, including replacing my GeForce 7600 board with a GT 430 board, and haven't found anything yet that works as well as Windows Media Player or Nero's Media Player running in Windows 7. At this point I am not asking for help on the Linux .mts playback problem because I have spent too much time on it already.

Thanks again

Jerry
linmint777

Post by linmint777 »

While Windows 7 is still my primary operating system and will be for some time yet,
:shock: the last time Windows was my main system, was when one day I turned on my computer and I found that ALL my files had been infected and renamed .exe for a virus, 160 GB with thousands of lost files.
Although it was original, having purchased a license from Symantec for a year, kept him updated and nothing stopped the catastrophe.
since that day I have a windows only as a toy from time to time. :lol:

Return to “LMDE Archive”