What makes you want to try Linux in the first place?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendall

Re: What makes you want to try Linux in the first place?

Post by Kendall »

I honestly can't remember, but I do know that I perceived Linux as an underdog at the time and I have quite a habit of supporting underdogs in just about any situation. But again, regarding the specifics of why exactly I first picked it up, I have no recollection whatsoever.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

k273 wrote:Boring how?
Because if Windows is boring because there's nothing to work around with it, from what I saw I think that is exactly why it is still the most popular OS, because we have to admit, 'most' people wanted something that 'just' works on their computer.
I wish Windows was boring because it 'just works', but unfortunately for most people that is not the case, and it 'just doesn't work' or 'just doesn't work for long'. For me, it is boring because I know it well enough that there is nothing new and interesting that I can learn about it (not that I really know Windows in depth, but I have no incentive to either). I've used it for so long that it's a chore to use it now. I use Windows at work, I use Windows at home, I use Windows at other peoples' homes... I just get sick of the same old thing.

Linux is totally different, and far more varied, so there's plenty to learn and always something new happening. It could all be in my head, but perception is powerful.
k273

Post by k273 »

randomizer wrote: I wish Windows was boring because it 'just works', but unfortunately for most people that ... 'just doesn't work for long'. For me, it is boring because I know it well enough that there is nothing new and interesting that I can learn about it...
It could all be in my head, ...
I can relate.
They say all your life, you gotta learn everything you can learn. Ain't it good?
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dutchmaster »

Back in 2002 I saw a link to the old Linspire distro, while simultaneously being in the midst of my wife's umpteenth meltdown over Windows problems.

It's been a steady climb in skills, but I've been solely Linux since shortly after experiencing Linspire. Boy has Linux come a long way since then! (meaning long way, in the positive sense, of course). :D
k273

Post by k273 »

Dutchmaster wrote:Boy has Linux come a long way since then! :D
My impression exactly! *nod*nod*
Even obstacles I faced with Linux Mint just made me wanted to dive into it more, contrary to what I did to distros from years ago where I just ditched them. I guess the whole user experience with (and met needs from) Linux world have taken a different, better turn just now.
- from a happy Linux Mint user
thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thouartsimple »

Well, I first tried Linux when I cleared Vista off my laptop's hard drive and tried to add Windows 7. I was greeted with tons of blue screens, power randomly turning off, etc... even after I wiped the entire hard drive (including MBR)... and wiped as in wrote zeros to the whole damned thing. The blue screens went away but it still randomly turned off. I threw Ubuntu on there to have something usable. Windows 7 installed fine on my desktop, but I liked Linux Mint so much after I switched from Ubuntu that I put it on my desktop and put 7 on its own (small) partition, which I have only used once since.

Also, it fits my general philosophy... I hate big corporations and how their lobbyists run the government, so this gives me the ability to stick it to them. Also, Microsoft and Apple are just plain evil. Apple overcharges way too much for anything and Microsoft... well, just plain sucks.
-Nick

Laptop: PCLinuxOS KDE (Toshiba Satellite A305D)
Desktop: LM11 Katya Gnome, LM10 Julia KDE, PCLinuxOS KDE, LM10 Julia LXDE, Bodhi Linux (All 32-bit, custom built PC)
tcberg2010

Post by tcberg2010 »

Had a fat PS3 and it sounded like something cool to try..installed Linux on one of my PC's a week later..been like that for a few years now.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Gregoror

Post by Gregoror »

I had an old computer with no OS and had read about linux on the net. Decided to give it a go as I did not want to spend any money on an old computer. Installed Ubuntu 10.10 and for the next few days I wanted to throw the computer against the wall, could not find anything I was used to, nothing would work as I imagined it should, much frustration. I really botched it up and had to reload Ubuntu several times, but I eventually got the hang of it and am more than happy now. From that start, I discovered Linux Mint. I now have several computers running Ubuntu and Linux Mint. From what I am reading about Natty, I may have to swing all to Mint.
Last edited by Gregoror on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pan

Post by pan »

Habitual wrote:"Linux is Hardcore" was tattooed on this stripper’s thigh. Figured I'd check it out.
yup, absolute win! :-)

My reason is that I like to know how things work (yes, I am physicist :-D) and with windows everything was hidden under the hood and I, being perfectionist, find WIN very very messy. On the other hand, linux is so cool organized I almost instantly fell in love. And then came my curiosity and need for learning...so since then I never looked back.
trollboy

Post by trollboy »

I'd been Li-Curious for a while since hearing about it online and from a couple of geeks I know; Eventually I tried it. I wish I'd known it was addictive.
Martenous

Post by Martenous »

I didn't like being dependent on Windows, I like the ideology of open source, installing libraries is very easy compared to Windows (try setting up SDL in Windows) and I thought it would be a good learning experience.

I also had nothing better to do....
Jayel

Post by Jayel »

As a (techy)kid many moons ago I watched 'Hackers', I became quite obsessed about learning as much as I could about computers etc. Was pretty disappointed when I found out how far from the truth the film actually was but it did lead me to Linux and i've never looked back.

"HACK THE PLANET!" or something like that.
Seano

Post by Seano »

Nobody should be disadvantaged academically for financial reasons.
steviejay

Post by steviejay »

Basically through necessity. I had Windows 7 on my laptop until some tiny little 4 year old fingers got hold of it one day when my back was turned. I don't know what she did but the result was no Windows and no way to restore either. Not even the restore disc worked! I'm way too tight to want to go out and buy a new Windows disc so I wiped the drive completely and installed Ubuntu 10.10 after downloading it on my father-in-laws machine. Didn't like Unity on 11.04 so switched to Mint. I doubt very much if I'll ever go back to Microsoft.
k273

Post by k273 »

Seano wrote:Nobody should be disadvantaged academically for financial reasons.
I wish every third world country leaders and their ministers of education were aware of this and willing to act on it. There's a whole lot of information discrepancy between countries with established IT/network system and those without. This in turn lead into wider and wider gap between them, which in turn disadvantages those without good informational system, and so on...
A try in Linux probably is suitable for these countries.
Man, that is tense.
Arenalgarden

Post by Arenalgarden »

Simple. My first box was Windows 95. :evil:
My second was 98 followed by 98 SE followed by millenium( M.E.)
Then I realized my blood pressure rocketed, I wanted to kill people and my hair had turned gray. :shock:
I then downloaded Debian and then Stormix and haven't messed with the Redmond nonsense since then.
Debian was difficult back then but once you dialed it in it was a rock......unlike the defective crap people STILL pay money for.
I really liked Xandros back in the day. Greed killed it.I ran Beta 2.0 for 2 years without a crash or reboot.

I also played with a few Macs along the way. Pretty decent stuff IMNSHO.I travel with a Macbook.
k273

Post by k273 »

Curious (in a feelin'-good way). After all this time, there are three things I noticed the most from Linux (Mint) I use:
1. It never crashes/reboots out of my own will.
2. It instantly recognizes every peripheral I have (even ones from before I even considered installing Linux in my notebook).
3. I don't have any fear of viruses at all.

Now, connectivity (bluetooth/wi-fi) issue is another thing altogether. But again, my Nokia N900 is at home with Linux Mint. I think the problem isn't the software only, but my proficiency in tweaking Linux connectivity also.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I became serious about Linux when I had to call Microsoft to activate XP, they accused me of having it installed on more than one computer. I was instantly turned off with activation. In the meantime my wife brought home "Point And Click Linux" by Robin Miller, after reading the book I was ready to run Linux full time. I had played around with Linux in the past but never was able to get everything working quite the way I wanted. When I installed Simply Mepis everything just worked and it felt good to be free from Microsoft! I quickly learned how customizable Linux systems were and really liked how I could have everything exactly how I wanted. Linux required less maintenance and it was much more dependable and rugged than Windows was. I bet I tried just about every desktop environment and window manage just because I could and it was addictive! I credit my wife and Warren Woffard for getting me started with Linux.
Robin

Post by Robin »

It was my computer guru's idea, when I complained about the inevitable slowdown-to-a-crawl Windows experience and asked him to fix it for the umpeenth time. I also griped randomly about the expensive, resource-hogging bloatware you have to buy and keep updated and stuff - not software for me to use, but for the computer to use. Just seems weird to me.

"Windows doesn't slow down if it's configured properly," he scolded, "and what you call 'bloatware' is necessary to maintain your computer. You maintain your car, your house, why not your computer? Quit your princess," he said.

Yessir, okay... just one question: If Windows doesn't slow down when properly configured, how come Dell didn't "properly configure" it at the factory? And how come the Geek Squad didn't "properly configure" it when they re-installed Windows (the only cure for "Windows rot")? And um, how come you didn't "properly configure" Windows when you reinstalled it - twice?"

Oops. Maybe I shouldn't have said that.

I had a good excuse though... I'm just a non-techy kid, and Mister Computer Wizard has bartered his services in exchange for dance classes for his little kids. So he's "paying his bill" by fixing my 'puter. And I'm unhappy with his services. Isn't the customer always right? Or at least entitled to have his questions answered?

"Fine, you little brat! Why don't you use Linux then? Get outta here and don't come back," he shouted, refusing to fix my computer.

I'd never heard of Linux until he mentioned it. So I Googled, took a "distro-chooser" quiz and gave Ubuntu Linux a try. Whoa. Amazing speed, no slowdowns, no expensive bloatware needed, and um, configured properly right from the start. When I mentioned that I took his advice, he was like, "You'll be begging me to put Windows back in a week," he said. "Better stick with Windows, kid. You're not ready for Linux yet."

Actually, Ubuntu was flawless. I hopped to other distros and had a blast discovering my "inner geek." Mepis (awesome), Mint (awesome), Crunchbang (9.04, awesome), PCLinuxOS (awesome but not on my hardware), Debian (troublesome, buggy on my hardware), several others. Settled on Mint Xfce/Xubuntu after more than a year of exploring Linux.

"Haven't seen you in quite a while, kid," Mister Computer Wizard said when he brought his kids by for their dance lessons. "I was too hard on you, and I'm sorry."

"Not at all, Mister Wizard," I said. "I took your advice and it's great! It's been what, about a year now? Linux is running flawlessly and it doesn't cost a dime. That was great advice, Sir," I said.

"Then stick with Linux, kid. You're not ready for Windows yet," he said.

True story.
k273

Post by k273 »

@Robin.

I can't help but have to comment right away:
Un. Be. Effing. Lievable.

Return to “Chat about Linux”