Linux Mint 11 "Katya" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" RC released!

Post by ibm450 »

malligt wrote:Mint 11 has Graphics display problems with ATI Mobility HD 3600 video card.
Display is very choppy, and/or have diagonal cutoff of image over entire field.

Machine presently runs Mint 9 dvd 32 bit and/or Mint 10 dvd 32 bit without these issues.
P4 3.0 HT processor/ 2 GB RAM/ 160GB hdd/ ATI HD 3600
i had this issue also on both natty unity and mint 11. i turned off compiz, place or and grid plugin, all was back to normal

from memory i think i installed fusion icon or something and selected gtk metacity over compiz and all was running faster and smoother.

but jees..kernel .38-8 was really cooking my laptop (fan was on most of the time and the heat was concerning) - i upgraded to .39rc5 and seemed to run alittle better
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

There is a power management related issue in Ubuntu Natty / Mint 11. The kernel developers and Ubuntu team are investigating this issue, and when they've fixed it, you will get an update to the 2.6.38 kernel.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
pradhishkumaAR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pradhishkumaAR »

hello there

Lately tried linuxmint 11 but cannot seem to find mint4win option to install inside windows. Will there be an option to upgrade from cd as in ubuntu?.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

There is a page on the community website about upgrading Mint: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2
zekiel218

Post by zekiel218 »

http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... .0_all.deb => 404 not found

I have this issue when trying the "upgrade to mint dvd" option after install from live CD, it didn't let me to ignore this package and install other packages either
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It's named 1.0.1 instead of 1.0. I think this is a mistake in a package list somewhere (I couldn't find it), but that may be solved soon.

You could download and install it manually. If the installer does not open when double-clicking, use right-click > Open With > GDebi (workaround for a Mint 10 bug that may be fixed in 11).
zekiel218

Post by zekiel218 »

thank you, the problem is fixed :D

great work from mint team!

for anyone wanting to have different mount points, you wont be able to type in the box, but you can still use select box or do a copy n paste style.
thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thouartsimple »

zekiel218 wrote:thank you, the problem is fixed :D

great work from mint team!

for anyone wanting to have different mount points, you wont be able to type in the box, but you can still use select box or do a copy n paste style.
Thank you! I'll try that when I reinstall Katya tonight... I think I borked it in one day XD Just me messing around.
-Nick

Laptop: PCLinuxOS KDE (Toshiba Satellite A305D)
Desktop: LM11 Katya Gnome, LM10 Julia KDE, PCLinuxOS KDE, LM10 Julia LXDE, Bodhi Linux (All 32-bit, custom built PC)
Jayel

Post by Jayel »

WOOOT!

Katya install, looking lovely and shiny and working perfectly so far.

I started out with Mint and went to Ubuntu to see what all the hype was about then they sprung the Unity card and I hated it. Not too fond of Gnome 3 either as yet but this will keep me ticking along nicely.

Great work guys, thank you!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Wow nice looking desktop and all is working on my laptop so far
Thanks,
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
karashata

Post by karashata »

I'm testing out the RC currently and for the most part it works, but I've found a number of flaws that weren't present in Julia that I'm hoping will get ironed out before the final release. Some may or may not be Mint's problem and there may be nothing they can do about them, but they all do add up to a less than perfect user experience. (I do suspect some of them may be from upstream changes made to accommodate Unity, but I can't confirm anything...)

Here's a link to the list on my hardware profile on the community website: http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/5797

I didn't see anything in this thread about where to file bugs, if anyone knows could someone please tell us..? I'd really like to help Linux Mint be the best it can and filing bug reports is always helpful in that regard...
sminterz

Post by sminterz »

it's possible to change the libreoffice (inside writer, etc) icons? they scream ubuntu ... :(
Last edited by sminterz on Wed May 11, 2011 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

Mint 11 looks very nice as a first impression. However, one strange thing I have noticed...I cannot move any window! I am used to my cursor becoming a hand as I reach the top of a window and I can left-click to drag. All I get is a resize arrow (vertical arrow with a line across) that does nothing.

No similar problems with any other Linux distro ever installed (including many Mints) - so a tad puzzled here.

Cheers

DrT
draycom

Post by draycom »

I am new to the linux world and last week tried Linux Mint 10 Julia Main and i loved the speed the most but the one problem i had was intermittent lag with the network adapter. Since then Linux Mint 11 Katya RC comes out and i wasnt to far into it so i reinstalled completely.

The internet issue went away and i was very very happy! But....when i startup i get a black screen after choosing from my booter *i have dual boot enables*

I have to shutdown my laptop manually then when i go back in the second time it starts up quick and easy. Other then a few non important packages not working it runs great just this startup problem.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I have installed it in Virtual box and it looks beautiful. I found that it runs a little slow in virtual box but intend on installing on a hard drive in a day or so. I also noticed that I am unable to install it side by side because it will not let me chose the disk I want to install it on. It wants to install it on my backup disk instead of the 80 gig I intend for it to be installed on. I am still trying to work the issue. This is only a RC so I am guessing that soon issues will be fixed :mrgreen:
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
aviatorjk

Post by aviatorjk »

Great Congratulations to the Whole Team !!!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Does anyone know how to get Mint 11 to boot from USB?

I get this when using usb-creator.exe which comes within the ISO:
[Error 5] Access denied u"F:\\ldlinux.sys"

The Mint 10 option in Universal USB Installer 1.8.4.6 does not work: Syslinux 3.86 is too old for Mint 11.
The Ubuntu 11.04 option also fails (and so does the Mint 10 option after manually installing Syslinux 4.04 on the USB):
vesamenu.c32: not a COM32 image
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

AlbertP wrote:Does anyone know how to get Mint 11 to boot from USB?

The Mint 10 option in Universal USB Installer 1.8.4.6 does not work: Syslinux 3.86 is too old for Mint 11.
The Ubuntu 11.04 option also fails (and so does the Mint 10 option after manually installing Syslinux 4.04 on the USB):
Did you try uNetbootin? It is in the repos or go to http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
sminterz

Post by sminterz »

dlkreations wrote:
AlbertP wrote:Does anyone know how to get Mint 11 to boot from USB?

Did you try uNetbootin? It is in the repos or go to http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
i installed with uNetbootin without any problem :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Ok, I'll try that. Should I use the 'Mint 10' or the 'Ubuntu 11.04' option?

Edit. Using the Mint 10 option in Unetbootin, it fails to boot: invalid or corrupt kernel image. I've tried many times, checked the md5sum, verified the file with Transmission, and still it fails.

I am going to try burning it on a DVD (have just gotten some dvd+rw's that I can erase in case it fails).

Return to “Releases & Announcements”