Add User or Change Name in /Home

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
fullmoonguru
Level 3
Level 3

Add User or Change Name in /Home

Post by fullmoonguru »

I want to change the name of the group and user. Did that, but the home folder still has the old name. How do I change the name of the folder in /home, or replace the current user with one (makes a new /home folder) that has the same desktop & everything, as the old user. Can I just copy all of the files from user 1's home folder into user 2's home folder?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Add User or Change Name in /Home

Post by DrHu »

fullmoonguru wrote:Can I just copy all of the files from user 1's home folder into user 2's home folder?
Some file (hidden) names might be specific to a user, so there maybe some editing needed, however most, almost all of the files should transfer OK, and give you the contents of the previous user name'd desktop and application settings..

Just copy the hidden files, which are prefixed with a period ( . ) as the first character of the file name
--examples are .mozilla and so on, they are all in /home/. (file names)
http://oreilly.com/catalog/debian/chapt ... 07_01.html
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-move ... ew-server/
fullmoonguru
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fullmoonguru »

Well that didn't work the way I was trying to do it. I think if I had created the new user, then copied the files into the new home folder it may have worked better. I found that I could change the name of the home folder & then point to that new name in the advanced settings of users & groups.

The only problem left is that the old name is still in there somewhere, because when you hover over the login a tip pops up that says, "login as [oldname]". Then when opening the terminal it says, "[oldname]@[newname]. No biggie, but I'd really just like to kill the old name altogether.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Well if you have the new name as Administrator then go in the control center and user group and delete the user from there that should get rid of the old folder or give you an option too.

Edit : http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2745/ubu ... r_account/
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
fullmoonguru
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fullmoonguru »

Yeah that's kind of where I'm at. I have created a new user, but before I delete the old home folder I need to get the new user working. I mean the new user works, but the configuration I want isn't there. I tried again to copy the folders & files from the old users home folder into the new home folder. This time I didn't replace anything that was already in the new folder. Still not working. I get errors, starting with not being able to update ICEauthority. Same thing if I point the new user to the old users home folder. I put the new user in the same group.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Code: Select all

usermod -l <New Username> -d /home/<New Username> -m <Old Username>
fullmoonguru
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fullmoonguru »

OK, new install. I have used Clonezilla to make a copy of my tweaked version of LMDE since Remastersys won't work (for me anyway). So I load the install, fix grub, and I'm up. Everything has the name VooDoo. I want to change the host name to the proper name for this machine on my network. That's pretty easy. Then I can change the user name and password to whatever I want, so that's good. But that new username is still tied to VooDoo. Like in the Users & Groups window, it says NewUser, then under that it says VooDoo. I thought that was a reference to the group, but if I change groups it's still there. It's also what is in the terminal next to the username.

So I guess I have two questions:

1. Does it matter? Other than being annoying to me, does it make a difference if I have multiple computers that have VooDoo tied to whatever username I set up?

2. Is there an easy way to change it so I'm not annoyed?

Return to “LMDE Archive”