I lost window borders

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sloebs

I lost window borders

Post by sloebs »

Hello.

I installed Mint 11rc yesterday and everything was working wonderfully. I love this distro. However, this morning after booting up I don't have window borders on any app window. Thus I can't move or resize those windows either.

This is probably a simple config issue or maybe I need to reinstall a particular package? If not, then I will reinstall everything since it this distro is fast to install. I still would like to hear what the diagnosis is though.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
loukoumas

Re: I lost window borders

Post by loukoumas »

right click on your desktop and change the appearance preferences
sloebs

Post by sloebs »

I tried that already. I have it set to the default Mint-X-Metal. No change.

I tried just about everything I could in the Control Center, also.
loukoumas

Post by loukoumas »

have you updated your system?
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Does restarting the X server with CTRL+ALT+Backspace help?
sloebs

Post by sloebs »

thanks for the ideas. yeah i upgraded and rebooted. no luck. So, I am going to take a more stable route and go with LM 10 for now.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Are you using Emerald? I found that this was a common problem with it. Stop using emerald to decorate windows and the problem goes away (there are plenty of metacity themes out there just as pretty)
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
BadEditPro

Post by BadEditPro »

I have the same issue but with a twist: If i go to click the 'Window Menu" icon on the left side of the top menu, it crashes the window manager and my borders go away. If I log out or restart they come back and stay there unless I use that button. I've tried loading several themes and nothing helps. This just popped up today after I installed updates. I'll be watching this thread to see if someone doesn't come up with an answer. It's got me stumped! :) JC
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

I had this problem after enabling composting and open gl in Compiz.
The only was I could get the windows back to normal was to enable Windows Decoration.

CompizConfig Settings Manager < Effects < Windows Decoration
zengeek

Post by zengeek »

click on fusion icon
reload window manager.

No idea what causes it.
BadEditPro

Post by BadEditPro »

I tried the 'Windows Decoration' in Compiz and it would restore the windows manager but I'd click the 'Window Menu' button again and it would all crash... I did find a workaround for now. I just logged in using the 'Gnome (No Effects)' option and the problem went away. :) JC
joniho

Post by joniho »

BadEditPro wrote:I have the same issue but with a twist: If i go to click the 'Window Menu" icon on the left side of the top menu, it crashes the window manager and my borders go away. If I log out or restart they come back and stay there unless I use that button. I've tried loading several themes and nothing helps. This just popped up today after I installed updates. I'll be watching this thread to see if someone doesn't come up with an answer. It's got me stumped! :) JC
I have the same problem!
karashata

Post by karashata »

I decided to give it a try, and, wouldn't you know, clicking the window menu button/icon in the title bar disabled the window decoration for me as well.

I suspect it might be a bug in gtk-window-decorator, but I may be wrong. Was a simple thing to bring the decoration back up, I just typed 'gtk-window-decorator --replace' into the GNOME run dialog and it was back up.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

try to run the application from console, and see if any error (like a segfault) gets printed in the console window. Also check the system logs. Then the only route is to file a bug report.
karashata

Post by karashata »

There is indeed a segmentation fault when clicking the menu button/icon. Below is the console output from gtk-window-decorator just after clicking the button:

Code: Select all

** (gtk-window-decorator:2345): CRITICAL **: Could not find frame info \xf0\xbc\u000d\u0002 in frame type table
Segmentation fault
Just curious, where exactly should I file this bug?
joniho

Post by joniho »

It seems to work fine now. I think one of the recent updates fixed it! :D
karashata

Post by karashata »

Thanks for mentioning that, I can confirm it's working fine here too now.
aXept

Post by aXept »

Hi,

I got this problem, I run a Emerald theme, but when the decoration disappear I need to start Compiz Config and turn off and on the "Window Decoration" thing. Then it works, but it suddenly stop working again and then I have to do the same again.

Is there a fix for this? Or do I have to run something else then a Emerald theme? I dont have to do anything in the Emerald Theme manager when it happens..

And yes, new to Linux Mint after I tried to install Gnome3 on Ubuntu 11.04 without luck :P

Linux Mint 11RC

Edit: Turned off Emerald, or I took away the theme there. Now I'm using standard decoration, and still happens.......
caddir

Post by caddir »

Not only have I had this problem (when I tried to run the desktop cube) but I also noticed that when I lose the window title bar (and minimize icon, etc) I also lost access to my other workspaces. No one else has mentioned this - am I the only one to whom that this has happened?
aXept

Post by aXept »

caddir wrote:Not only have I had this problem (when I tried to run the desktop cube) but I also noticed that when I lose the window title bar (and minimize icon, etc) I also lost access to my other workspaces. No one else has mentioned this - am I the only one to whom that this has happened?
I will try to access the other workspaces when it happens again.. Haven't thought about it...

Return to “MATE”