FAT32 in fstab and changing permissions [SOLVED]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
caris_mere

FAT32 in fstab and changing permissions [SOLVED]

Post by caris_mere »

I installed LMDE and added my FAT32 during installation. My problem is that I can't write to the FAT32 partition in LMDE as a normal user. Only root can make changes. I tried using chmod to change the permission, with no avail (permissions remained unchanged). I tried using chown to change the owner or add my user to the groups, but nothing changed there either (said the operation wasn't permitted). I don't know how to the change fstab to mount the partition so that it can be accessed and changed by users other than root. Here is the fstab entry for the partition.

UUID=F950-B4CD /media/shared vfat rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0

Thanks for your help.

Scott
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: FAT32 in fstab and changing permissions

Post by altair4 »

That line in fstab is doing exactly what you told it to. By default vfat will mount with owner = root and permissions allowing root to read / write and everyone else to read only. To fix that:

Code: Select all

UUID=F950-B4CD /media/shared vfat defaults,utf8,umask=000 0 0
umask=000 will enable everyone to read and write to the partition.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
caris_mere

Re: FAT32 in fstab and changing permissions

Post by caris_mere »

I figured it was doing what it said, but that was what was set up by default and not by me. Thanks for the tip to get it fixed.

Return to “LMDE Archive”