Linux Mint 11 "Katya" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
sminterz

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" RC released!

Post by sminterz »

AlbertP wrote:Ok, I'll try that. Should I use the 'Mint 10' or the 'Ubuntu 11.04' option?

Edit. Using the Mint 10 option in Unetbootin, it fails to boot: invalid or corrupt kernel image. I've tried many times, checked the md5sum, verified the file with Transmission, and still it fails.

I am going to try burning it on a DVD (have just gotten some dvd+rw's that I can erase in case it fails).
?? i just selected the iso, pressed ok and relaxed :) no need to specify the distro (but i would guess 11.04 would be a better bet)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Ohh, can you also run it without selecting a distro and version? I'll try it when I've finished my homework.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
karashata

Post by karashata »

AlbertP wrote:Ohh, can you also run it without selecting a distro and version? I'll try it when I've finished my homework.
I'm pretty sure you only need to select the distro you want to install if you haven't already downloaded an ISO, since I believe that will download the ISO for you then install it to your USB drive.
t3g

Post by t3g »

Do we still really need 3 media players by default with Gnome Mplayer, Totem, and VLC? Why not just stick with VLC for the default?
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

It gives you a choice. you can remove them by going into the software manger and removing them :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
funky_uncle

Post by funky_uncle »

Mint 11 looks great, a few issues though:

- moving the Firefox window maximizes it
- double clicking on a corner of my touchpad doesn't disable it. That feature works in Windows and OpenSUSE
AdamMint

Post by AdamMint »

Stable for me !
t3g

Post by t3g »

willie42 wrote:It gives you a choice. you can remove them by going into the software manger and removing them :D
With that methodology, you would include 3-4 web browsers, AbiWord and LibreOffice, gThumb and Shotwell, Banshee and Rythmbox, and many other duplicate applications where you really need one and adds unnecessary bloat to the ISO and system off the bat. Yes, you can uninstall them but it reminds me of the days of getting a Windows computer through an OEM and having to remove a crapload of their preinstalled 3rd party software.

To be honest, we are talking media players that serve a basic function to open a container file containing codecs with familiar navigation. In this age of people watching videos online instead of through a dedicated player, it still seems overkill. Especially when the Totem browser plugin masquerades as a VLC plugin next to the actual VLC plugin trying to take control of the same mimetypes.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Well I look at it this way. In Linux you can remove what you don't want and add the applications you do want. As for Microsoft they do not give a choice as to removing software. You can add to but can't really modify too much without going to court. The biggest thing about Linux is it is free. So if the Devs feel like giving choices they can, and they are easily removed with little effort. I also feel that one reason is for the folks that want to convert from Windows to Linux it gives newbies a look at all what Linux offers. So as for what you consider to be bloat is not that big a deal in my eyes just getting it set up to your liking. Its a free operating system offered by people who work in their own time to give us an alternative to Windows and Mac. I appreciate the fact that Linux has lots of applications to offer and to attract newbies to Linux. My hats off to Clem and all the folks who make great sacrifices spending their own valuable time to offer these great alternatives. Relax, Customize to your liking, help the Newbies and be happy. :D
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

willie42 wrote:Well I look at it this way. In Linux you can remove what you don't want and add the applications you do want. As for Microsoft they do not give a choice as to removing software. You can add to but can't really modify too much without going to court. The biggest thing about Linux is it is free. So if the Devs feel like giving choices they can, and they are easily removed with little effort. I also feel that one reason is for the folks that want to convert from Windows to Linux it gives newbies a look at all what Linux offers. So as for what you consider to be bloat is not that big a deal in my eyes just getting it set up to your liking. Its a free operating system offered by people who work in their own time to give us an alternative to Windows and Mac. I appreciate the fact that Linux has lots of applications to offer and to attract newbies to Linux. My hats off to Clem and all the folks who make great sacrifices spending their own valuable time to offer these great alternatives. Relax, Customize to your liking, help the Newbies and be happy. :D
Well said. You can make the distro of your choice as fully loaded or as bare bones as you wish with little effort but no distro in the "out-of-the-box" configuration can please everyone. Personally, I tend to remove Gnome Player and Movie Player and leave VLC (and the VLC Mozilla plugin) installed but that's just my preference.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
gogogadget

Post by gogogadget »

Hi! Quick Question, why is the RC CD-iso called "no-codecs"? Does that mean that no multimedia codecs are included?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

gogogadget wrote:Hi! Quick Question, why is the RC CD-iso called "no-codecs"? Does that mean that no multimedia codecs are included?
Yup, that's what it means or to be more specific, it only includes the few "good" codecs that are included in a standard Ubuntu release and not all the extra codecs that Mint supplies in their distro. Makes for a smaller download that fits on a CD.

That being said, you can easily update to the full DVD edition of Linux Mint 11 using the "Welcome" screen that pops up on your first login after you install. In the bottom left-hand corner of the Welcome screen you'll see a button labeled something like "Update to the DVD edition". Clicking that will install all the extra "stuff" that's included on the Mint LiveDVD including all the codecs.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Right the CD version has no codecs you will have to manually install them after you install the OS :D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

No, you don't need to do that.

After install, when booting Mint 11 for the first time, a welcome screen opens.
In that screen, you can click 'Install codecs'. If you only want the codecs, use that.
If you want to have the full DVD on your computer, click 'Upgrade to DVD edition'. It will download everything that is not included on the DVD.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

AlbertP wrote:No, you don't need to do that.

After install, when booting Mint 11 for the first time, a welcome screen opens.
In that screen, you can click 'Install codecs'. If you only want the codecs, use that.
If you want to have the full DVD on your computer, click 'Upgrade to DVD edition'. It will download everything that is not included on the DVD.
Ah, I forgot about just "Install codecs". Guess I've been using Linux Mint too long. :D
gogogadget

Post by gogogadget »

Thanks for answer, but now I'm still confused: does that mean, that Linux Mint 11 and later versions with the wma/flash/etc. will only ship as a DVD, instead of a simple CD? Why that? In Mint 10 everything fit on the CD (including codecs :s)
marcveilleux

Post by marcveilleux »

HP computer P4 2.8 GHz model d530C (plain vanilla no video card other than the one on the mobo)
The monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 203B with a native resolution of 1400x1050

Problems:

1- garbled screen at installation time (black squares appears when I click somewhere on the screen, I don't see all icons properly)
2- I manage to install Katya but the computer freeze at what should be the login prompt at every startup. (Ctrl-Alt-F1 or whatever doesn't work ... even the lights for the caps lock and num lock don't respond.)

Side note: Same problems with Ubuntu 11.04.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

marcveilleux: Please open a new thread about this. And tell us the manufacturer and type of the onboard graphics chip in that thread.
bdoe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bdoe »

AlbertP wrote:Does anyone know how to get Mint 11 to boot from USB?

I get this when using usb-creator.exe which comes within the ISO:
[Error 5] Access denied u"F:\\ldlinux.sys"

The Mint 10 option in Universal USB Installer 1.8.4.6 does not work: Syslinux 3.86 is too old for Mint 11.
The Ubuntu 11.04 option also fails (and so does the Mint 10 option after manually installing Syslinux 4.04 on the USB):
vesamenu.c32: not a COM32 image
I had this problem as well, even after using the Startup Disk Creator in Ubunu 10.10. I accidentally tripped on a workaround for the "vesamenu.c32: not a COM32 image" problem: Just type "live" (without the quotes) at the boot: prompt, and all should be well.
Cactusface

Post by Cactusface »

Hi,
A bit of a newbie here! Just downloaded Mint 11 RC, all seems to work OK so far, but find Gnome commander bombs out when I ask it to connect to an FTP site. It works fine under Mint 10. :(

Sure as the days go by, other little quirks will show themselves!! I look forward to the full and fixed release....
And sorry but I don't like the blank screen at boot time, a bit like the Mac your never sure what if anything is happening, and something happening might be nothing!!!! You could be just hanging there.

Must play some more...
Regards
Mel aka Cactusface

Return to “Releases & Announcements”