A question and some help please

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
z0phi3l
Level 1
Level 1

A question and some help please

Post by z0phi3l »

First to my question. Would the nvidia driver installed by Envy be newer than the one that comes with Daryna? I'm still having issues with crashes and playing WoW with Wine, I can play for a bit but suddenly crashes out my system completely, going to try without having the extra effects eneabled but am curious about the driver.

Now for some help. I have a second HDD that I would like to be mounted when I boot up the system, it contains my music and movies, as of now as ever since I installed Feisty, I've had to manually click on it, input me PW to mount the drive. I know theres away to auto mount it in Gnome, just not sure how.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The driver that "comes with Daryna" is vesa or nv. You have to install the nvidia driver and I think the one from Envy will be newer than if you use the restricted modules
The second HDD is that NTFS or FAT?
If so it should be mounted by mintDisk - in Daryna it happens automagically anyway so mint-disk has been removed
You must remove all traces of the partition(s) in fstab for mintDisk to mount
z0phi3l
Level 1
Level 1

Post by z0phi3l »

The second disk is EXT3, so I'm confused as to why it wasn't automounted from the get go.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Something (always this something :)) happened so the disk is not in fstab
You have to find out the partiton(s) the second disk has. To do this you can start Gparted (needs sudo)
Then edit /etc/fstab and add a line for each partition.
Like this

Code: Select all

/dev/sda8 				  /media/sda8     ext3    defaults        0       2
This also needs sudo
z0phi3l
Level 1
Level 1

Post by z0phi3l »

The second drive issue is resolved :)

What you said worked with this minor tweak, I had to create a folder for the drive in /media, after that it mounts like normal

Still working on the driver issue, but I should be close to a solution now.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Envy usually installs the latest driver available when that particular version of Envy was released. In other words, it does not look for the "latest" driver, it installs the driver it was coded to install. The author simply updates Envy as required to handle newer distros & drivers.

This means when there is a brand new driver release Envy will not use it until it has been updated to do so.

So to answer your question you need to check what driver Envy installed, and compare it to the latest driver from your GPU maker's support page.

Aloha, Tim

PS: You don't have to mount in /media, that is just the default. You could put that folder on your desktop, or in any folder you want and define its path in fstab. I have a folder called Windows Partitions in my home folder with my NTFS partitions mounted in it. I also have a spare ext3 drive I use for backup mounted in /home as well. Keeps the desktop clutter to a minimum.

Code: Select all

/dev/sda5	/home/tim/Windows\040Partitions/E200G 	ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
/dev/sdb10	/home/tim/Windows\040Partitions/G270G 	ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
/dev/sdc1	/home/tim/Backups			ext3	defaults	0	0
I also changed the folder icons to look like drives so I know that these mount points address entire partitions. From there you can create sym-links to important folders on those partitions and place them where it's convenient (like links to my Windows media content in my Linux Videos & Music folders).
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry - I forgot to mention that you need to create a folder....

Return to “Other topics”