Browser Problems Opera, Firefox, Epiphany

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
martinwprior

Browser Problems Opera, Firefox, Epiphany

Post by martinwprior »

I like to listen to the BBC radio 4 Edge, the replacement of Radio 7.

I am a long time user of Opera, but I find that in Aptosid and now LMDE Opera is just so slow that it cannot load the iplayer most of the time. I then tried Firefox and although it can load it, the sound is very choppy. And so I tried Epiphany and found that it worked fine and the sound quality was fine. I of course went back to test Opera and Firefox, but the results were just as bad as the previous trial. Epiphany again tested ok.

As to Opera, I also experience many total lockups of the browser. As I said I have been using this browser for many years with no problem, but with Opera 11, I have had many problems in both Aptosid and LMDE. Does anyone have a good working LMDE with Opera?

regards

Martin Prior
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Browser Problems Opera, Firefox, Epiphany

Post by richyrich »

bbc is surely a changing/evolving, and for us Canadians, an available HD stream, . . . To be able to help you troubleshoot, or try to determine a specific detriment, with the complete info and hardware specs that you have provided us! We will need to spend the rest of our waking hours for the next three months to help you . . (you can share more info, just ask how, its easy) (and I'm also available as a professional through paypal)

but, since I'm guessing, and between you'n'me, I'd put my money on problems or version conflicts between your Adobe Flash, and bbc's protective security/ streaming server.

I am lucky, I am still able to manipulate a Canadian eastern educational proxy server, and log into a low resolution link to the bbc feed. They (my Queen) treat us as knowledge-hungry kids, which we are, and feed us through one of the many Canadian dedicated optical links to our Commonwealth Parent Universities. I thank you for allowing us access to your GB universities, colleges, and Institutions.

I will try to hinder any parental disappointment . . . sorry for my attitude ! :P
martinwprior

Post by martinwprior »

Amusing. I did not include any hardware specs because I have no issue with how Linux Mint or Aptosid, performs and operates. Over on the Aptosid forum is a posting more or less saying now is a good time to stop using Opera. This would seem to indicate that there are known problems with Opera and Linux. That is a pity because it is an excellent browser that I have been using since they first introduced it. It is only recently that something has got out of sync and it has become less reliable.

Many people like Firefox, but I was surprised that Epiphany outperforms it when playing Flash Content. They are both using the same player. Perhaps the Epiphany Browser integrates well with Gnome.

regards
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

martinwprior wrote:Amusing. I did not include any hardware specs because I have no issue with how Linux Mint or Aptosid, performs and operates. Over on the Aptosid forum is a posting more or less saying now is a good time to stop using Opera. This would seem to indicate that there are known problems with Opera and Linux. That is a pity because it is an excellent browser that I have been using since they first introduced it. It is only recently that something has got out of sync and it has become less reliable.

Many people like Firefox, but I was surprised that Epiphany outperforms it when playing Flash Content. They are both using the same player. Perhaps the Epiphany Browser integrates well with Gnome.

regards

The reason you see people on the aptosid forums saying to Not use Opera is because it is not Open Source. Not clue about the BBC issues but Opera works fine. Ignore the fanatics on the aptosid forum.
$ apt-cache policy opera
opera:
Installed: 11.10.2092
Candidate: 11.10.2092
Version table:
*** 11.10.2092 0
500 http://deb.opera.com/opera-beta/ stable/non-free i386 Packages

What version of Flash?

Have you thought about trying Chromium/Chrome?

Are you using Iceweasel or Mozilla Firefox 4.0.1? And yes there is a difference.
See Tech Patterns :: Switching from Debian Iceweasel to Firefox, permanently - http://techpatterns.com/forums/about1435.html

Return to “LMDE Archive”