Greetings. I'm sorry for posting this here but I refuse to sign up to sites to submit bugs (I prefer mailing lists). I'm actually posting this from a bugmenot.com account.
Anyway, here's the deal, I have found two bugs in both the 32 and 64 bit versions:
* Non-critical: Stale NFS file handles (was supposedly fixed a long time ago but still rears its ugly head)
* Nuclear bomb critical: /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by "debconf-communi", causing the installer to fail.
The Linux Mint installer crashes every time towards the end, for this reason:
* Ubiquity executes /usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/components/plugininstall.py which runs grubinstaller.py from the same folder, which in turn exits with Error code 1. I am not familiar enough with Python to know what it is doing but I checked the code of grubinstaller.py and noted the command in there.
* /usr/share/grub-installer/grub-installer is the command executed by grubinstaller.py. Trying to manually run it gives this error:
* debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
* So the problem seems to be that the installer goes plugininstall.py -> grubinstaller.py which in turn runs /usr/share/grub-installer/grub-installer which in turn crashes with the error I just pasted, which causes grubinstaller.py to return error code 1 and abort the installer.
* I've tried the install 4-5 times over several restarts and it always fails.
* Another guy reports the exact same crashes at viewtopic.php?f=151&t=71455#p416170
I decided to see what was locking this config.dat file:
- Code: Select all
mint@mint /mnt $ sudo fuser -v /var/cache/debconf/config.dat
Cannot stat file /proc/3602/fd/38: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/3602/fd/39: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/3602/fd/44: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/3602/fd/45: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/3990/fd/12: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/7449/fd/12: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/7449/fd/13: Stale NFS file handle
Cannot stat file /proc/16809/fd/36: Stale NFS file handle
USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
root 14437 F.... debconf-communi
As you see, not only did I find the program locking the file and preventing grub from installing; I also found that the "Stale NFS file handle" bug still exists!
So next thing to try:
* Manually killing process 14437 (debconf-communi) and then trying the manual command from grubinstaller.py again, yielded success in that /usr/share/grub-installer/grub-installer ran perfectly. No complaints about config.dat being locked.
* However, debconf-communi is periodically restarted by either the system or the installer itself, and simply killing it and trying to run the installer will not do any good, since it will be re-launched in time for the grub installer to fail. So I tried killing it while the installer was running, but that lead to another installer crash, meaning that there's no easy way to fix this file lock problem.
So what needs to be fixed in Katya?
* Stale NFS file handles bug should not be there.
* Figure out why debconf-communi is locking /var/cache/debconf/config.dat to the point where it causes /usr/share/grub-installer/grub-installer to crash with the error above, leading to an aborted installation.