LMDE SpinX3 Wishlist

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
thermodynamics4

Re: LMDE SpinX3 Wishlist

Post by thermodynamics4 »

Cannot Believe this!

Good contributors like iKey gone from Mint??? And even hes account closed...

Guys! You have to work things out, it's a waste of human resources. iKey was working as freelance and doing stuff in here, later on, Clem offers a job, ikey accept, there is an announcement. Later on ikey is not more and the account erased... Looks like a Money problem. It's not about work, because he was making stuff in Mint, and is not about Clem being bad, because he put on the paid roll to ikey.

The thing is that they did not worked out this problem.

Clem should see that there is a waste of human resources to let ikey go.
ikey should see if money or the atmosphere is good enough for hem, but he already have experience in here and maybe a good future...

Peace!!!
amina

Post by amina »

I also think we would "deserve" to know what happened.
I am quite a new member here but a long time active reader who followed all the happenings since LMDE got released and - especially after the February's announcement about Ikey full-time with Mint - quite shocked about the current situation.
This sudden change without any expanation also ruines my idealistic picture about the people behind Mint :(
m.keane

Post by m.keane »

thermodynamics4 wrote:Cannot Believe this!

Guys! You have to work things out, it's a waste of human resources. iKey was working as freelance and doing stuff in here, later on, Clem offers a job, ikey accept, there is an announcement. Later on ikey is not more and the account erased... Looks like a Money problem. It's not about work, because he was making stuff in Mint, and is not about Clem being bad, because he put on the paid roll to ikey.

ikey should see if money or the atmosphere is good enough for hem, but he already have experience in here and maybe a good future...

Peace!!!
Ok so firstly his real name is actually Ikey, not "iKey", please stop with the Apple(TM)-ificiation of the name.
Secondly Ikey was not working freelance at all. If you knew Ikey you would know that he used to be a building
contractor, and since leaving Mint has gone back to this work. He requested himself that his forum account be
removed, along with his NickServ account on SpotChat IRC network. There is no financial issue so please stop
painting my cousin as some poor down-in-the-dumps guy. Clem did not "let ikey go", Ikey left of his own accord.
Really, there's no need for these rumours.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

Thank you for clarifying things up.

It was the absence of an official statement to the matter that made me, and a few people, wonder. I am sorry if you felt that your cousin was posted in a bad light, such was never my intention. Again, Thank you for taking the time to clarify things for me.
m.keane

Post by m.keane »

aljoriz wrote:Thank you for clarifying things up.

It was the absence of an official statement to the matter that made me, and a few people, wonder. I am sorry if you felt that your cousin was posted in a bad light, such was never my intention. Again, Thank you for taking the time to clarify things for me.
No problems. I think the reason there is no official statement would be two things. Firstly Clem wouldn't like
to cause a big panic. Secondly Clem is likely hurting too from this incident. I may be wrong though
and do not pretend for one second to know the guy to speak for him.
shimazaki

Post by shimazaki »

So, the real question besides ikey and Clem is, what will hapend with LMDE them..............will they look for another suporter? will we....have to go back to the main distro?
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

I'm started this and i want to thank you to for the heads up.
One more thing is it true that you are taking care of the apps from Ikey?
That whas my last question about this subject.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

It looks like virtualbox-nonfree is tracking Ubuntu and not Debian. I want Oracle to stop telling me to upgrade. :lol:

maverick 3.2.8
squeeze 3.2.10
wheezy 4.0.4
thermodynamics4

Post by thermodynamics4 »

m.keane wrote:
thermodynamics4 wrote:Cannot Believe this!

Peace!!!
Ok so firstly his real name is actually Ikey, not "iKey", please stop with the Apple(TM)-ificiation of the name.
Secondly Ikey was not working freelance at all. If you knew Ikey you would know that he used to be a building
contractor, and since leaving Mint has gone back to this work. He requested himself that his forum account be
removed, along with his NickServ account on SpotChat IRC network. There is no financial issue so please stop
painting my cousin as some poor down-in-the-dumps guy. Clem did not "let ikey go", Ikey left of his own accord.
Really, there's no need for these rumours.
My bad Sr. I've seeing to many times things like this happen, it was not responsible from me to get to that conclusions. Believe me it was not to put on a bad side to Ikey. On the contrary. Nothing else to say. Hope hes happy with hes job, and as anyone who contributes: best wishes! :wink:
sidneyk

Post by sidneyk »

gazza wrote:Great to hear you are back on the job ikey :)

Half of what you wrote is beyond me, the other half was in my 'paper cuts' list, just one thing missing, a gui to switch on/off compiz, also a note, when compiz is enabled , alt f2 and alt tab are not available.

I do have an issue with mintupdates, if it fails to fetch (bandwidth clogged, no internet connection) , when you do it manually, after updates install, the icon disappears, leaving a blank space in the panel, and it mixes up the icons, xchat icon becomes mintupdates, transmission is xchat , and the blank spot is transmission (in my particular case). to fix I right click panel, expand it, then unexpand it, icons are back and correct..
I realize that this post was made awhile back, but just in case it may help you here goes. For the compiz thing - all you need to do is grab the Fusion icon from the repos and install it. When you run the associated Fusion icon program it puts a Fusion icon in your task bar which you can right click and choose between compiz or metacity window managers and change your window decorator also and restart the window manager. When you change to something other than compiz you are effectively turning it off. Just add this to your startup programs and it will be there for you in the taskbar whenever you need it. As far as mintUpdates, if you are using LMDE then to my understanding the mintUpdate tool is not yet fully compliant with LMDE and shouldn't be the method you use to update or upgrade but rather you should use either the Synaptics package manager or the apt-get command line methods.
sidneyk

Post by sidneyk »

gazza wrote:wish list -> broken package -> popup menu -> do you wish to manually fix this, auto fix this -> does it's own sudo dpkg --configure -a and etc

I ask this because a dozen times a day people come into irc with this issue, half don't know what a terminal is, common issues, are lock file still in use, even when synaptic etc aren't open (think mintupdate forgets to release lock file before it closes sometimes). What do I do after it says packageX is broken, things like that. If we are heading towards a user friendly OS , I believe this should be addressed..

Another bug bare is grub2 not recognizing win7 , causing long and protracted attempts at help, 50% of cases not resolved. I personally think we should bactrack to grub legacy or lilo, but the trend is against this, just wondering if there is someway to address this issue as grub2 is not user friendly at all...
Grub2 had no problem recognizing my Win 7 install with grub2 bootloader installed in the MBR of the disk containing Win 7, which on my system is the first SATA hard disk. It also had no problem with Vista on my laptop, again with the grub2 bootloader installed in the MBR of the main hard disk, i.e. not in a partition. Same results with about 2 to 3 reinstalls on both machines with either LMDE or LM10. Now, the real problem, is figuring out how to reconfigure the new grub2 when you were accustomed to the original grub. I had to do a lot of searching and reading to even grasp a vague idea of how the grub2 iteration is working, with it's multiple config scripts and all, but now that I'm beginning to understand it, I think it may actually be a better way of doing things. It is now more modular, allowing new "plugins" simply with an appropriately named, executable script in the /etc/grub.d/ directory. I just installed a program called Grub Customizer which is compatible with grub2 (grub-pc) and gives a nice GUI to make all kinds of changes that I might want to make. This wasn't in the LMDE repos, so I had to download a few files and build it, but it seems to do the job quite nicely. I had previously tried startup manager, which is in the repos, and which was at one point installed already (or maybe that was on the LM10 install), but it is very limited, aimed at original grub and can add currently deprecated options to the grub2 config and problematic for other reasons. I was having some issues before learning how to setup grub2 properly for boot splash effects and plymouth themes, but I've got it mostly worked out now. So, I think Grub Customizer should definitely be deb'd and made part of the base install.
rs45

Post by rs45 »

My only wish: Introduction of ppa feature to install software in LMDE.
technoshaun

Post by technoshaun »

sudo has some issues as well. This is mostly due to the Debian base but some functions I needed required a actual root password and I had to create one. Now some things only work using sudo and others (like synaptic) require the root pasword I set up.
kwatson512

Post by kwatson512 »

My main wish is for the installer to provide an option for encrypting /home (or full LVM encryption, like Debian). Doing it manually is complex and therefore more likely for users (like me) to make mistakes.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Nothing special is needed to use a ppa. It's just another repository, and all you have to do to use one is add it to your sources.list file, or add a file with the ppa information to the sources.list.d subdirectory. That repository will then be used for updates automatically. There is nothing magical about a ppa, it's just a Ubuntu term for an unofficial repository. I use a couple for updating wine, dropbox, and some other packages. The only problem is finding a reliable repository which has the packages you want to keep updated.

I've never had a problem using sudo for Synaptic, or anything else. Entering the user password should work for anything requiring root access. If it doesn't, something is borked on your system.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

sgosnell wrote:Nothing special is needed to use a ppa. It's just another repository, and all you have to do to use one is add it to your sources.list file, or add a file with the ppa information to the sources.list.d subdirectory. That repository will then be used for updates automatically. There is nothing magical about a ppa, it's just a Ubuntu term for an unofficial repository.
Some caution is necessary. Not all PPAs will work with Debian, remember Ubuntu is a modified Debian.
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Yes, some caution is always necessary, of course. But not all private repositories, or 'ppas', are for Ubuntu. PPA is simply a term that, AFAIK, was originated by Ubuntu devs/users. There are also Debian private repositories, as well as those for other distros. Most packages will run under most distros, though, and it's not often a problem to run a package under a different distro, since the kernel is the same. You just need to be aware that a package might not run perfectly and be prepared for some installation snags. I've never seen a problem, though.
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

Support for ReiserFS and XFS... People still use these filesystems; they have been a de-facto standard in linux along-side the ext* filesystems for years. This would placate more intermediate-advanced linux geeks like me

Better default resolution for the Grub menu, and a LMDE specific Grub boot menu image.

Plymouth!

include the packages ntpdate and apt-xapian-index as part of the default install.

include Emerald in the default install or at the very least put it in the mint repository. It should be treated like Firefox, something users want that Debian doesn't officially provide.
passstab

Post by passstab »

a netinstall option would be nice
it wouldn't need to be more confusing then a normal installation as it could avoid all user choice and simply download/install all defalt packages
see my idea
http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/1359

also you should consider switching to CUT
http://cut.debian.net/
http://kitenet.net/~joey/code/debian/cut/
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

My wish list and not wish list.
I personally do not like the new scrollbar that is coming out in other versions (the one that hides) I guess I like old school scrollbars, so if there is a way to keep the old school one or allow us to have a choice, (I know its a small thing but its annoying to me) I am sure some love it (which is why I suggested to have the option if that is possible.
Fix the installer to be more like the others (which I am sure they are working on.)
fix the tapbutton
fix login screen in admin section so it will actually unlock to be able to use it instead of doing it in the terminal
Thats my beefs with it as it is now (except the scrollbar thingy that might be added later)
Come up with its own look and feel which everyone seems to be working on
I'll make some more wallpapers and themes for it myself to add to it (already made one of each) just for LMDE
It's own Icons theme (I'll add one myself to give choices) just for LMDE
PLEASE NO UNITY!!!!!
My loves:
do not have to reinstall every six months :D
comes straight from daddy debian instead of ubuntu :D
it seems quicker (don't know if thats my imagination or not.)
love the boot where you can choose previous kernels :D
Rough edges are worth it to me and I know they will eventually be worked out.
Love the fact theres no quick jump to gnome 3 or unity (although if I had to have a choice I think I would go to gnome over unity any day)

Anyhow thats my two cents for what its worth.

Sam

Return to “LMDE Archive”