LMDE+Xfce4.8 alphabetical order menu

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rolandpish

LMDE+Xfce4.8 alphabetical order menu

Post by rolandpish »

Hey there.

Today I upgraded my LMDE Xfce and found that xfce was upgraded from 4.6 to 4.8 and now my mint menu items are arranged in alphabetical order.

Is there a way to change the order of my mint menu items and leave them back to where they were?

PS: I played with ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu, logged back and logged in but the menu is exactly the same (no changes) and I don't want to install Alacarte because of its gnome dependencies.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: LMDE+Xfce4.8 alphabetical order menu

Post by vrkalak »

This problem has come about with the integration of Xfce-4.8 over the old version of 4.6.
This comes about with the kernel/system upgrading the existing Xfce desktop to version 4.8

If you have installed, a clean Xfce-4.8 ... this problem does not show up.

I have this same issue with both, my LMDE and Crunchbang install, but not on my straight Debian or Anti-X.

Like you I have tried re-configuring the appropriate files, but to no avail.

All I can recommend is that you search through the Xfce Wiki > http://wiki.xfce.org/howto
And the Xfce Forums > http://forum.xfce.org

"You say change, like it's a bad thing" :P
rolandpish

Post by rolandpish »

Thanks for your reply vrkalak.
As a matter of fact, I saw that editing ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu produces no result, but editing /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu as root does produce results. So I'll have to play around with that file to see what happens.

Thanks!
rolandpish

Post by rolandpish »

Ok, after playing around with this, thankfully, I have come to a solution.
I'll share it and hope this might help others with the same problem.

Editing my ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu does nothing, so, I edited /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu as root and focused on the <Layout> section.
After realizing that some of the .desktop files under /usr/share/applications are named differently (e.g. former xfce4-logout.desktop is now called xfce4-session-logout.desktop), I started adding the correct names into <Layout> section and they magically moved from the menu to the top section of the menu, and voila; I achieved what I wanted.

This is my final <Layout> section:

Code: Select all

<Layout>
        <Filename>xfrun4.desktop</Filename>
        <Separator/>
        <Filename>exo-terminal-emulator.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>exo-file-manager.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>exo-web-browser.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>exo-mail-reader.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>mintInstall.desktop</Filename>
        <Separator/>
        <Menuname>Settings</Menuname>
        <Separator/>
        <Merge type="all"/>
        <Separator/>
        <Filename>xfce4-about.desktop</Filename>
        <Filename>xfce4-session-logout.desktop</Filename>
    </Layout>
rolandpish

Post by rolandpish »

Me again.

After restarting the computer, the /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu was autogenerated and got back to where it was thereby loosing all changes I made. Still struggling with this :(

Mmm, also, my rabbitvcs (subversion GUI) stopped working on the current version of Thunar and this is a mandatory application for me.

I'll try to fix this.
rolandpish

Post by rolandpish »

Ok, no. Gave up on this.

Downloading and going back to lmde+gnome.

Cheers.
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by michaelzap »

rolandpish wrote:Editing my ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu...
It should. If your panel menu is set to use the default menu file, then that file takes precedence over the system default. I also upgraded from Xfce 4.6 to 4.8, and editing that file works for me.

I also copied all of the system default desktop application files from /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications. That allows you to edit those so that they appear differently in the menu for your user account. The Xfce menus aren't really all that complicated once you understand how they're created.

More info here.
rolandpish

Post by rolandpish »

Thanks Michael. Yes, you're right, I could choose the menu file to use and I had to copy all those .desktop files to my ~/.local/share/applications folder.
I could do the tweaking I needed for the menu :)

Unfortunately, apps like rabbitvcs (subversion GUI) stopped working and this is mandatory for me. Sadly, I cannot wait until this is fixed so I had to go back to lmde+gnome and hoping to have lmde+xfce once again in a near future.

Thanks!

Return to “LMDE Archive”