Fix broken packages error when trying to apply updates.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
patriot2135

Fix broken packages error when trying to apply updates.

Post by patriot2135 »

Hello Forum.
Thank you for taking the time to review my issue.
This is the problem that I am experiencing:
After installing Linux Mint Debian Edition 64bit (fresh install) I click on the Update Icon in the panel to install the current updates. The Update Manager opens and I see the available updates, I accept the recommended updates and select "Install Updates" and it appears to start but after just a few seconds I am presented with the following error: "Could not apply changes! Fix broken packages first."
As you can see from the image, I have resorted to logging in as Superuser to address this problem as Regular user was ineffective. However, being Superuser didn't solve anything either. (Not that I really expected it to, but I'll try just about anything at this point.)

I am really at a loss here. :?
I have the log file of the failed attempt to update and if necessary I can add it however, it amounts to a gazillion lines of text so, I will wait until it is requested before I provide (copy/paste) it. :D

This is a summary of my computer:

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Memory - 2061 megs
Kernel - Linux 2.6.32-5 amd64 (x86_64)
HDD's - /dev/sda/ WD 40gig. with M$ Windows XP installed
/dev/sdb/ IBM 41gig. with Linux Mint 10 32bit ver.
/dev/sdc/ WD 160gig. SATA on 2nd. RAID port (this is the drive that I am currently on.)

Thank you in advance for your help with this issue.

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Fix broken packages error when trying to apply updates.

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to LMDE (Linux Mint Debian) subforum

Can you update through terminal?

Try

Code: Select all

apt update && apt dist-upgrade
If that doesn't work try this in terminal first

apt update && apt install -f
It's also a good idea to keep up-to-date with the following thread -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=67502
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

patriot2135

Post by patriot2135 »

@zerozero
@proxima_centauri

Thank you both for your help. It appears that your instructions were "bang on" and I am in the process of updating/upgrading now through the Terminal.
I executed the command,

apt update && apt dist-upgrade
. So far this is taking a significant amount of time (which is reasonable considering that it is updating and upgrading the entire system, from the Kernel, out, or so it appears) and I expect that this is a good thing. No errors yet, and at this point, I don't expect to, but, you never know. :wink:

I'll post when the process is complete. So far do good.

Cheers
patriot2135

Post by patriot2135 »

I've reached a crossroads here.
The process has arrived at a point that is causing a bit of confusion for this noob.
The Terminal has opened a "Configuring grub-pc" menu and is asking for the device(s) to install GRUB to. I know how hopeless this sounds but, I am not sure which device GRUB is currently installed on. Is there a way to check this?
Can anyone advise me as to which device(s) I should select in this menu?

Thanks in advance.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

The default placement of grub2 in the installation is '/dev/sda'.
patriot2135

Post by patriot2135 »

Thank you proxima_centauri.
I thought I had read that somewhere but I wasn't sure enough to attempt it without confirmation.
I will select that option.
Thank you again. I will post the results when the process is complete.

Cheers
patriot2135

Post by patriot2135 »

@proxima_centauri
@zerozero
Once again, thanks for your help. You guys rock!! :D
I ran the apt update && apt dist-upgrade command and it has just finished. It appears that it completed without a hitch but when I open the Update Manager, it shows that there is another application using APT. I assume that, that is because I haven't closed the Terminal yet?

In your instructions, you gave two commands; apt update && apt dist-upgrade and apt update && apt install -f.
I ran the first one, apt update && apt dist-upgrade and per your instructions, I didn't run the second command because the first appears to have worked. Is there a way to confirm that the process completed successfully?

Also, is, it necessary to run the apt update && apt install -f command also?
I presume that it is ok to close the Terminal window now too.

Taking your advise, I have Bookmarked the viewtopic.php?f=141&t=67502 topic and will refer to it in the future for my update/upgrades.
Thanks again. I look forward to your response.

Patriot2135
patriot2135

Post by patriot2135 »

@proxima_centauri
@zerozero

Ok. If I would have just waited a couple of min. longer, I wouldn't have needed to make the previous post. Everything looks good.
It appears that my system is fully updated and working as expected.
Once again thank you for all your help.

I am marking this post SOLVED.

I really respect the volume of accurate information in this Forum.

Cheers

_________________________________________________________________EDIT_________________________________________________________________
Well, I would mark this post as SOLVED if I knew how?
I thought it was as simple as selecting an option that said something like "Mark this post as SOLVED" but I can't find anything like that.
Help!?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi,
to mark the thread solved go to your first post of the thread, click edit and add solved to the title, then submit;

the error you got was because you had the terminal using apt, and only one instance of apt can be running at one time;

if apt update && apt dist-upgrade went though without errors, the second command is not needed

enjoy LMDE
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

this problem is ... [solved] ! ... three-times already ! ... first read ! ... before you post your Question ! ...

Return to “LMDE Archive”