Extremely Impressed with Katya

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lyricmuse

Post by lyricmuse »

I just had to get on here and comment about how impressed I am with Katya. I installed it next to Windows 7 without any issues whatsoever. Everything works perfectly! Thanks so much to everyone on the Mint team. You keep coming up with a solid beautiful product.

System Specs
Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 710
Memory: 8 GB DDR2
Video: GeForce 9600 GT
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigdee
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Extremely Impressed with Katya

Post by bigdee »

I totally agree. I am looking forward to running Katya final in the next week or so and saying goodbye to the not so friendly LMDE.
DAVID
Imhoteps

Post by Imhoteps »

Same impressions here, topicstarter! Waiting for final release to put it near W7-64 Ult (MSI G41M4, E3300 @stock, 4Gb DDR2, HD5670 512 DDR5). Simply the brilliant Mint this time!
allypink

Post by allypink »

Ditto......... I have just installed 11 on my laptop....... everything works as it should; installation flawless; quick, nimble and sound. Everything works...... boring; well done Clem and the team.
Al. :D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

This is for me the first release where things just work. No fiddling with drivers and Xorg.conf anymore. It consumes a bit more power but not very much on my laptop, at least it does not run very hot.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Jix

Post by Jix »

AlbertP wrote:This is for me the first release where things just work. No fiddling with drivers and Xorg.conf anymore. It consumes a bit more power but not very much on my laptop, at least it does not run very hot.
What kind of laptop is it?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

HP Pavilion dv6730ed, Intel Core 2 Duo 1700MHz, NVidia 8400M GS graphics, 3GB RAM.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

It is by far the easiest installation I have experienced since coming to a linux distro 3 years ago. My wireless worked from the start right on through the install which for me is a first. It is typical Mint - smooth, elegant, etc. I know some have had issues with compiz but I do not use it so I generally remove it. The only issue I have had is a jittery gnome panel when I unclick the expand box but having it expanded is fine. My husband got a new computer for work which has windows 7 installed. He must have had 25 bsod's in the first week. It really makes me appreciate Mint and it is free. Keep em coming Clem! :wink: :mrgreen:
aXept

Post by aXept »

I agree 100% to this!

I've used Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04 before I took a clean install of LM 11RC Katya.

I love it :D
fortyseven05

Post by fortyseven05 »

Hey I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I felt this point was worth reiterating. In the last two weeks I've gone from ubuntu 11.04, first with unity then kde, then to fedora, also with kde, then gnome3, and finally here, to Linux Mint.
I cannot express how impressed I am with this distro and this release. It is simply fantastic. I worked for three days to get on fedora what came working perfectly out of the box with Mint. I am thrilled with Mint and only disappointed that I didn't try it sooner. So, with that said, I'd like to thank everyone who put in the hard work to make it so great!
rhY

Post by rhY »

Best OS ever.
phredbull
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phredbull »

+1
I'm liking Katya a lot, as a matter of fact, I consider everything the Mint devs do to be real improvements over pretty much everything they put their name on!
Pretty much everything is working as expected OOTB, even Compiz. (Haven't tried enabling the cube.)
I didn't feel the immediate, pressing need to change the appearance, though I did eventually tweak it beyond recognition.
Problem is, though I like the Ubuntu-based versions, mainly for the PPAs, (specifically, xorg-edgers, which makes my ATI Radeon M7500 perform at it's best), Ubuntu/Gnome base is a RAM hog on my lo-spec machine, always getting into swap and becoming annoyingly slow. Disabling Compiz would probably help, but if I'm not using Compiz, then I'd just as soon use my Mint XFCE(Debian base) setup.
But for now, I'm enjoying Katya, in spite of my machine's less-than-optimal performance.
I think I'm becoming a full on Mint convert!
:mrgreen:
Apple iMac, Core2Duo 2.0gHz, 3gb, ATI Radeon Mobility X1600
-Mint Nadia Cinnamon
-Mac OSX 10.5.8
Compaq Evo N610c, P4M 2.8gHz, 7688mb, ATI Radeon m7500
-LMDE XFCE
-Mint Katya Gnome
-Windows XP
Ext. HD
-Mint Isadora Fluxbox
USB stick
-#! Statler