Hardware Drivers Application

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
msuggs

Re: Hardware Drivers Application

Post by msuggs »

vicshrike wrote:great news, one question though, will it work with other Debian derivates? (based on Squeeze)
I'd imagine so. I think CrunchBang will be very interested in this one :)
zebedeeboss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zebedeeboss »

Hi, any update please on this much needed app ?
LMDE 5 Elsie | Cinnamon V5.2.7 | Kernel 5.10.0-12-amd64 | AMD Ryzen TR 2950X (32) @ 4.000GHz | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti | Display 49" 5120 x 1440 240Hz | 64GB Corsair RGB DDR4 3000MHz | 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe

Be Nice or Be Some Where Else
ufugu

Post by ufugu »

Yes please, an update!

I hope you are getting somewhere. In the last week I've tried Squeeze proper, Crunchbang Statler, and LMDE.

I spent DAYS trying to get fglrx to work on my HD 5600. I tried sgfxi with options for both the distro-povided fglrx and the current version from the ATI site. I tried the Debian wiki method. I tried downloading and building manually. I tried each of these things on all three distros with no success.

The free ati/radeon drivers are awful for me to the point of being unusable--my fan runs at full speed, my battery drains in half an hour, and the machine feels like it is melting.

So I'm back to Mint 10 for now. It's a great distro :D but I'd really like to go Debian for a lot of reasons. Unfortunately I can't until there's a way to get fglrx working.

Hope you can do it!
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

I agree that a hardware driver app would be very welcome. In the meantime, those using nvidia cards can get proprietary drivers going by following the Tutorial on "LMDE, intel, nvidia and compiz tips" I was able to get mine working on LMDE this way.

feffer
friTTe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by friTTe »

Seems handy with a frontend =)
ikey ftw
thetall82

Post by thetall82 »

Great idea! This app could make more users take the step and try out LMDE :-)

Hope to hear good news about a test version soon
Many thanks for keeping up the good job

Giorgio
davidmn

Post by davidmn »

Blimey! This is exactly what I need. I will keep an eye on this.
specmod1

Post by specmod1 »

Maybe more people should jump on this and help, we need this
specmod1

Post by specmod1 »

specmod1 wrote:Maybe more people should jump on this and help, we need this
Any betas coming?
neggard

Post by neggard »

When this app is out I change to LMDE
I dont have the time and knowledge to install Nvidia driver thats why I still use the frozen edition.
twa

Post by twa »

Hi,
from the March 2011 stats, Clem wrote:
Summary:
March started with some very bad news. Due to personal circumstances Ikey had to focus on his personal life and could no longer work on Linux Mint.
Hope this project will continue.
:cry:
specmod1

Post by specmod1 »

twa wrote:Hi,
Summary:
March started with some very bad news. Due to personal circumstances Ikey had to focus on his personal life and could no longer work on Linux Mint.

Can he at least post the source code on the forum here? so maybe the users can build on it?
ajt007

Post by ajt007 »

specmod1 wrote:
twa wrote:Hi,
Summary:

Can he at least post the source code on the forum here? so maybe the users can build on it?
Is anything happening with this? I hope so. :?:
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

I hope this project continues.....

Hopefully Ikey will be able to return soon.
kbkatz1

Post by kbkatz1 »

Does anyone know if this project has faded away or not?
HTD

Post by HTD »

Hey, there is Jockey in Ubuntu. It could be ported to LMDE somehow.

But even Jockey is not perfect. It would be perfect if it could download and install drivers from manufacturer's website. This would require a hacker who could patch the drivers, because latest ATI drivers don't install on LMDE. I couldn't build the debs, and even if I would, there are problems with building kernel driver for 2.6.39 version. There are lots of patches for ATI drivers, if someone had a lot of time, he might try to build a working version (or even make universal patcher / installer for future ATI drivers). I gave up after wasting ca 6 hours :) Messing with display drivers make break system too.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I really hope this works out. I installed lmde but getting my wireless and video drivers going was a royal pain so I went back to regular Mint. I'll keep checking this forum for updates :wink:
Skinnx86

Post by Skinnx86 »

Nice, will definatly add this when it's out. I think my compiz is might lacking because of the wrong drivers... lol :). It would definatly be a good move if it did go upstream.
ningbojoe

Post by ningbojoe »

Any updates on this much needed application?
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

ningbojoe wrote:Any updates on this much needed application?
I hope so :cry:

Return to “LMDE Archive”