2.6.38 Kernel and Thinkpad T40

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tmp0404

2.6.38 Kernel and Thinkpad T40

Post by tmp0404 »

All, sorry I'm not a Linux guru, but after the most recent update, I can't get my wifi to work on my Thinkpad. So when I reboot the system, I'm just using the previous kernel, and it works fine. Any thoughts on how to get it to work with the latest kernel. I love using Linux Mint, but when an update breaks wireless for a non Linux guru, it's really frustrating. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: 2.6.38 Kernel and Thinkpad T40

Post by vrkalak »

Apparently, the new 2.6.38 kernel still has a couple of major 'bugs' :?

A problem with getting 'sound' to work soon after upgrading to -38

And a problem with keeping WiFi working.

I'm sure the Linux Kernel, Ubuntu, Debian Devs are working fast and furiously to create a patch for this, supposed 'stable' kernel.
As well as, the Devs of every other Linux distro out there. :cry:

I upgraded my kernel in LMDE-Xfce a couple days ago . . . soon after, the sound died. :x

I'm just waiting for the various Devs and Maintainers to find/build/create/make a patch for the -38 kernel . . . and let it flow down-stream. :D
tmp0404

Post by tmp0404 »

Thanks for the comments, I did search the forum, needed to hook the Thinkpad up to the wired connection to do the searching. After wards I thought about the option to use the previous kernel at boot time. Guess the best resolution is to wait a few days for the next batch of updates as you mention.
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

download&compile compat-wireless or choose the older kernel in StartUp-manager, so you don't have to choose it manually during boot @ grub
tmp0404

Post by tmp0404 »

Since it has been almost 2 weeks, does anyone have any comments or thoughts about when the kernel might be fixed. A previous thread indicates 'they' are probably working on this, I've installed all of the updates since then, but the wireless connectivity remains an issue with the most recent kernel. Not complaining, just curious for any speculative thoughts.

Thanks.
tmp0404

Post by tmp0404 »

So now that it has been more than a month, my wireless on the 2.6.38 kernel is still not working. It was mentioned about a new kernel coming out that would fix this, but it still has not happened. Other than always booting into the older kernel, any suggestions how to get this to work on the newer one. Thanks for any help and suggestions.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Tell us your wireless card make and model please.
tmp0404

Post by tmp0404 »

I'm at work now, so I don't have the T40 with me, but according to the IBM web site, it might be;

•ThinkPad High Rate Dual-band 802.11a/b Wireless on selected models
•Cisco Aironet Wireless 802.11b on selected models

Hope this helps, it's defintely not a PCI card, I'll check when I get home. Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Return to “LMDE Archive”