Where to find newer versions if needed

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
edgarkls

Where to find newer versions if needed

Post by edgarkls »

I am new to Mint in particular and to Debian in general, so I apologise if the question might sound a bit daft. In principle I am rather in favour of stable applications and OS-environments, even if that means that I am a few versions behind the bleeding edge. There are situations, however, where one would need the most recent version of a software, either in order to fix a bug which has broken the version currently installed, or to make use of a new feature. I have now come to a point where I need a newer version of Guayadeque, because the currently offered one (2.9) crashes on my Mint LMDE. The crash is due to a bug in the software that has been fixed in version 3.1. I also would need, for a variety of reasons, Libreoffice 3.4, Beta 5.

The simple question: Is there any debian repo which would offer newer versions of particular packages?

I have tried the debs Libreoffice offer on their website, the installation however turned into a little dependency hell. Guayadeque was easier to solve, I found the new version in SID, installed it and then deactivated SID again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
casey972oo

Re: Where to find newer versions if needed

Post by casey972oo »

Hi there ! ... ' edgarkls ' ! ...

what kind of ' newer versions ' you are looking for ? ...

try this ! ... ' salineos.com ' ! ... of course speed and stabilitiy matters ! ... based on ' Squeeze ' ! ...

casey972oo
karashata

Post by karashata »

As far as I know, most of the debs offered on most websites that offer debs are built for Ubuntu and rely on Ubuntu packages, meaning they may not work on Debian (due to differences in package names, package versions, etc.) Your best bet to get the most recent packages possible in Debian would be to enable the unstable (sid) and possibly even the experimental repositories and check to see that the package and version you want/need is there (This was how I found and installed Iceweasel (Debian's non-Mozilla branded Firefox) 4.0.1 as well as the most recent Icedove (Thunderbird)). If it's still not, you might have to wait a little while for it to show up. This is certainly the best way to ensure the packages are fully compatible with Debian, but of course enabling the sid and experimental repositories (and doing a full upgrade or dist-upgrade of everything) could bring along unstable updates that might potentially break your system.

From my own experience, it *is* possible to update only the desired packages you wish (along with installing/upgrading any dependencies they pull and removing obsolete packages), though it's not necessarily recommended due to a small chance something might be missed.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Yeah ! ... there are plenty ' Ubuntu-packages ' which working fine in Debian ! ...
and otherwise ! ... for example ' apt ' ! ... this is all LINUX ! ...

by the way ... there is ' Chromium ' ... in ' Debian 6.o.1a Squeeze ' ! ...
which is much more faster than ' Firefox 4.o ' ! ... or ' Iceweasel ' ! ... from ' Mozilla ' ! ...

casey972oo

edgarkls

Post by edgarkls »

Thanks for the answers which made a few things a lot clearer to me. So far I have enabled SID to get the bugfixed version of guayadeque and then disabled it again. In my opinion, this seems to be a sensible method, just get what you need from SID but stick with Squeeze in all other cases (including update and dist-upgrade). Or am I too paranoid here?
karashata

Post by karashata »

If you're using Linux Mint Debian Edition (and haven't changed the repos) you're on Testing, not Squeeze. Squeeze (if I'm not mstaken) is the current stable version of Debian. Testing is still more stable than sid though, so for the most part you should be okay with it, but even then there can occasionally still be bugs (usually fixed fairly quickly though).

That said, glad to help.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

You can override Mint's apt pinning by editing /etc/apt/preferences and giving the debian repo a higher rating than the mint repo. This will get you a couple of more recent packages (though, TBH, very few).
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
christoff522

Post by christoff522 »

https://launchpad.net/~c-korn/+archive/ppa

This gives you a wine specifically made to work with pulseaudio - this solved all my spotify problems :)

no bugs.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Hi there ! ... ' edgarkls ' ! ...

I think you know something about ' Debian ' ? ...

' Squeeze ' is the last ' stable ' release of Debian ! ... (version 6.o.1.a) ...
' Wheeze ' is the next ' stable-version ' from Debian ! ... which is now ' unstable ' ! ...

this means ! ... the testing is not finished jet ! ... to be released ! ... as ' Wheeze ' ! ...
it will take a little while ! ... maybe next year ... or so ! ...

' Debian 6.o.1a Squeeze ' works ! ... is stable ! ... and fast ! ... I like it ! ...

casey972oo

edgarkls

Post by edgarkls »

Thanks again for all the advice. The fact that I have successfully confused Debian Testing, Squeeze and Wheeze shows how very new to Debian I am. I am learning, though :-).

All I really need now is a working installation of libreoffice3.4 Beta 5 (for testing reasons only). It seems, I will probably have to resort to testing it in a VM, though.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Here is a list of most every Debian Repro, known-to-man.

My Giant Debian Sources.List > http://sites.google.com/site/mydebiansourceslist/

This list is the most current and update List of Debian Repros out ... maybe, you'll find what you need there.

This List is compiled and maintained by one of the Admins from the Debian Users Forum.
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

Hi there casey972oo, you ... three-dots ... obsessed :roll: :P
I have to tell, that your posts are kinda hard to read, and what's more, I'd call them annoying. No offense meant.
edgarkls

Post by edgarkls »

@vrkalak

Thanks. That list is brilliant! I am sort of getting familiar with the OS now, and must say that I've really learned to love Mint LMDE
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

kwevej wrote:Hi there casey972oo, you ... three-dots ... obsessed :roll: :P
I have to tell, that your posts are kinda hard to read, and what's more, I'd call them annoying. No offense meant.
Hi there ! ... ' kwevej ' ! ...

you are not the only One ! ... who find this ' annoying ' ! ... but thanks for your message ! ...
I did program my laptop to write this ... all the time ... when I stop tipping in ! ... so ! ...
it's in LINUX ! ... as you can see ! ... if you want me to ... I write a program for you ...
to take out this ... what is put in all the time ! ... when I make a pause of thinking ! ...

casey972oo

kwevej

Post by kwevej »

casey972oo wrote:
kwevej wrote:Hi there casey972oo, you ... three-dots ... obsessed :roll: :P
Hi there ! ... ' kwevej ' ! ...

you are not the only One ! ... who find this ' annoying ' ! ... but thanks for your message ! ...
I did program my laptop to write this ... all the time ... when I stop tipping in ! ... so ! ...
it's in LINUX ! ... as you can see ! ... if you want me to ... I write a program for you ...
to take out this ... what is put in all the time ! ... when I make a pause of thinking ! ...

casey972oo

Nobody cares to know when you are thinking while typing. I guess you've missed a few grammar classes at school.
... Being cool does not mean just to shout "LINUX LINUX" all around. (three appropriate dots on this line)
Back to the school, kid.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Yeah ! ... and I don't care about your problem with reading my posting ! ...

just skip it ! ... you are not forced to read ' through ' ... all of these ... signs ! ...
komas ! ... doots ! ... and what else is possible in this keyboard ! ... I just use it ! ...
the way I want ! ... and there is another tip for you ! ...
and all of those who have problem with my style of writing ! ...

there is a function in your ' profile ' ... is called ' friends & foes ' ! ...
just put my name in the list for ' foes ' ! ... and my messages will be invisible for you ! ...

but as long as you ... or anybody else will read my postings ...
you must come along with my style of writing ! ... I don't write a roman ' ! ...

and I don't want you to ' quote ' ... or answer my threads ! ...
just stay where you at ! ... and leaf me alone ! ... I'm still going to school ! ...
haven't finished jet ! ...

casey972oo

kwevej

Post by kwevej »

casey972oo wrote:Yeah ! ... and I don't care about your problem with reading my posting ! ...
///loads of dots here///
... and leaf me alone ! ... I'm still going to school ! ...
haven't finished jet ! ...
casey972oo
I'm glad you are attending a school. Hopefully they will manage it.
In the meantime, type your posts in Terminal using this: sed "s/\.//g;s/\!//g" , then copy&paste the resulting text here.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Yeah ! ... ' kewevej ' ! ...just go and play with yourself ! ...

I am glad for You ! ... you finished school already ? ...
but you don't know nothing about what's going on in life ! ...

casey972oo

kwevej

Post by kwevej »

casey972oo wrote:Yeah ' kewevej ' just go and play with yourself
I am glad for You you finished school already ?
but you don't know nothing about what's going on in life casey972oo
A chicken teaching a rooster about the life :D
Anyway, this is getting offtopic. Get lost. I'll do the same. Bye.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Yeah ! ... you're right ! ... this is ' off Topics ' allready ! ...

and it's you ... the ' Chicken ' ... who want to teach the ' Rooster ' ! ...
and it's you ... who can get lost ... and play with yourself ! ...

casey972oo

Return to “LMDE Archive”