[Solved]TRIM support in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved]TRIM support in LMDE

Post by feffer »

I have LMDE on a Crucial 64GB SSD. The kernel is: 2.6.38-2-amd64. I would like to enable TRIM support. Search showed another post that discussed this. At the time, support was not in the current LMDE kernel, and Vincent responded+
1. If you don't want to compile your own kernel (which isn't all that hard anyways), you can simply install the Liquorix kernel, a custom desktop-oriented kernel for Debian-based distros. See here: http://liquorix.net/
However, I understand that TRIM support was included after 2.6.33, so I did some googling and found this tutorial. However, after adding "discard" to my fstab options for LMDE's root the TRIM test failed to show the sector zeroed out.
# Root for mintxps on SSD /dev/sdb3
UUID=9003d86b-e083-4835-8289-7fbf028bfc8b / ext4 rw,errors=remount-ro,noatime,discard 0 0
So I'm wondering if I either made an error or if TRIM support is still not enabled in the kernel I'm using.

thx,
feffer
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: TRIM support in LMDE

Post by feffer »

Well, I made a foolish mistake that prompted the first post. LMDE with the 2.6.38-2-amd64 kernel does indeed, support TRIM. Simply adding the "discard" option in /etc/fstab for root "/" enables it. There is a simple way to check using this method from the TechGage site. Evidently support for TRIM started in kernel 2.6.33. So my install of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with an earlier kernel does not have it.

feffer

Return to “LMDE Archive”