Mint-X theme only works with 'Sans' font and other problems.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beerbaron

Mint-X theme only works with 'Sans' font and other problems.

Post by beerbaron »

Hey. I just upgraded (with a clean install) from Mint 8 and I have a few problems that I hope someone here can solve. The first is that if I use any other font than Sans, when using the default theme, the fonts in the interface become tiny and won't change size no matter what size i choose. This only happens on Mint X and Mint X Metal. This is a problem because I prefer the ubuntu-font-family font for the interface. The second issue is that the tooltips don't pop up immediately in the system tray, they only come up if you move the mouse slightly on the icon. Not a big problem but still annoying. The system tray is sometimes unresponsive too when you right click it. And third is that the fonts in Firefox look really blurry and ugly but I guess that's a Firefox issue.. Anyone got any possible solutions for these little annoyances?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Mint-X theme only works with 'Sans' font and other probl

Post by AlbertP »

To which version did you upgrade? Mint 9, 10 or 11 rc?
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
beerbaron

Post by beerbaron »

Oh sorry, I should have mentioned that. It's version 10, main Gnome version i386. Other than these issues I am very happy with this version. It works much better in many other ways than the old version so kudos to the developers. My mobile broadband connection seems to drop out a lot less than in the old version for instance.
Troken

Post by Troken »

I use Linux Mint Debian (Gnome) and have the same problem. I prefer Liberation Font for the interface, but the size of the panel font remains small and unchanged. I have not found any solution to this yet, will try to switch back to Sans and see if the size gets changeable.
mfs

Post by mfs »

I had a similar problem. Every font size you can change in "Appearance -> Fonts" really changed the font sizes except the one for "Font in Applications". I took a deeper look into the files that come with the mint-x-theme package (the same is also true for the mint-x-metal-theme package of course). One of those files is /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0/gtkrc. In this file the font sizes for Applications and for "smaller fonts" seem to be hard-coded. The first one reads

Code: Select all

font_name = "9"
the second one

font_name = "8"
where the first one corresponds to the application font size and the second one to the smaller font size. If these values do not fit your needs, you can change them to whatever you like - you must be root of course, i.e.

sudo gedit /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
Like this, I was able to set the application and smaller font size to the value I wanted it to be.

EDIT: This modification has to be re-done after an upgrade of the package mint-x-theme (or mint-x-metal-theme), because the modified file is part of it.

mfs.
mfs

Post by mfs »

The two lines in gtkrc I mentioned in the previous post seem to be unnecessary. If you comment them out by adding a # in front of them, the theme looks as it is supposed to and the fonts are even configurable by the "Appearance" UI.

EDIT: There is now also a launchpad bug filed against that issue: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/791742

mfs.
ShukatsuRonin

Post by ShukatsuRonin »

Hi.

I have a problem similar to the one mentioned. But reproducing the steps described here didn't fix it.

Ok, sorry about that, I made a mistake when I followed the instructions and now it's fixed. But not in Pidgin :?

I haven't tried every program installed with Mint11 but so far they all seem fine except for Pidgin.
Thanks to what mfs has written window titles and menus display bigger letters but the list of contacts (names and categories) is still tiny.

Any idea?

Cheers
ShukatsuRonin

Post by ShukatsuRonin »

I found a solution to my own question.

Once you enable the Extended Preferences plugin you can set the font size in the buddy list.

I still don't understand why Pidgin doesn't follow the system wide settings, though.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Return to “Beginner Questions”