Mint Update Problems

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Mint Update Problems

Post by Fornhamfred »

I have been running LMDE since Christmas and am very impressed. I started by updating with mint update levels 1-3 until the beginning of the month when I tried to use apt to update. All was OK until the desktop loaded. The graphics were very good but sections of the screen did not refresh and left part of the previous application on screen. I have since tried to run both Mint 11 and Ubuntu 11.04 with the same result.
As a check I loaded PcLinuxOS Gnome with the Kernal 2.6.38.5-pclos1-bfs and this runs fine. Do you think that if I reinstall LMDE and use apt to update that the result would be any different?

My system is a Dell Desktop Pentium 4 2.8, 1GB ram and Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint Update Problems

Post by feffer »

Haven't had this issue with LMDE or Ubuntu 10.04. I also used the mintUpdater for a while and then switched to apt. By itself, this isn't a problem. Yours sounds like a graphic's card issue. Is your on-board Intel graphics using a current driver? I have one of these in my laptop and had to update the firmware. Don't be too quick to re-install, you may very well end up in the same place. Hopefully someone here will have more insight about your graphics.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

I take it that you've thoroughly read the LMDE Breakages thread?

If not, then

This might help you....

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p400543

From Clem:

You can enable all 5 levels in it and get the same level of functionality as with apt itself, but what's really needed is a snapshot repository of Debian Testing and a fork of mintupdate designed specifically for LMDE. This will be designed and released after Mint 11.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks

I have been following the breakages but my problem seems deeper than the method of update.

I have just updated thro mintupdate but excluded the list of updates as the two screen prints and I am able to boot into the new kernal and the display is fine. I am assuming that the problem is in the xorg updates but my knowledge is limited. The current video driver is i915.
Screenshot-2.png
Screenshot-1.png
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Hi there ! ... try to update ' mintupdate ' first ! ... and just this ! ...
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Sorry I do not understand this post. Mintupdate is running the latest version.

It looks as though one of the updates is causing my problem but through lack of knowledge I do not know which is most likely.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Yeah ! ... there were a couple of cases with " fix brocken packages first " ! ...

and of cause an ' brocken package ' in the ' mintupdate ' ! ...
so ... when you fix this ' brocken package ' by updating ' mintupdate ' ...

everything will work out fine ! ... just like this ! ...

casey972oo

Return to “LMDE Archive”