k3b/k9copy cannot find dvd burner

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Linux n00b

k3b/k9copy cannot find dvd burner

Post by Linux n00b »

I just noticed when I try to use k3b/k9copy, it says "cannot find optical drive". I remember there was a recent k3b update. Does anyone experienced the same problem? Any way to fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Re: k3b/k9copy cannot find dvd burner

Post by chiefjim »

For the record, is the burner found during POST? Sounds silly to say but if you've been messing around inside the case recently make sure the connections are snug.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
Linux n00b

Post by Linux n00b »

There is nothing wrong with hardware. DVD play back works fine.
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

Both k3b and k9copy have config settings that point to the optical drive(s). You should check these. I think the optical devices are something like /dev/sr0, /dev/sr1. Sometimes there are aliases to these devices like cdrom1, dvd1, and so on. Look in your /dev dir to see. As way to check try this cmd:

Code: Select all

$ eject /dev/sr0
this should open the drive in question. Once you have the correct device name, make sure k3b and k9copy settings have these. Hope this helps.

feffer
Linux n00b

Re: k3b/k9copy cannot find dvd burner [fixed??]

Post by Linux n00b »

Well, magic. Just powered up my laptop today, and k3b/k9copy are back to work. There was absolutely nothing installed/changed setting.

I guess that was my laptop saying "I don't feel like working". When I found they stopped working, I really needed to do some copy (no, not movie). Today, I don't need to copy anything, and there they are back.
igsimon

Post by igsimon »

I have this problem now - just loaded K3b today 14 Aug - Brasero sees DVD disk but K3B does not loaded blank disk - K3b does see burner in settings pannel :oops: - any ideas?

Note - it works with CDs(i just treid one) but does not see blank DVDs - now I am very confused

Return to “LMDE Archive”