Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
monkeyboy

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201012) released!

Post by monkeyboy »

Will there be a 64-bit 201101 release, or is it needed?

Nope, only one final LMDE 64 bit release. Enjoy
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

monkeyboy wrote:Will there be a 64-bit 201101 release, or is it needed?

Nope, only one final LMDE 64 bit release. Enjoy
Thanks!
Is 201012 that release?
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Yep, just go here and have fun. http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=75
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

monkeyboy wrote:Yep, just go here and have fun. http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=75
Thanks!
cwgtex

Post by cwgtex »

dhante0334 wrote:Hello guys, just need help on linux mint debian, am using the 64 bit version, my video card is not working it is a ati radeon hd 3400 and skype is not working when i open it nothing happens. thank you and have a nice day,
With the 64bit version, I had to install [ia32-libs-gtk] to get skype working. Make sure you have [ia32-libs] installed also.
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

cwgtex wrote:
dhante0334 wrote:Hello guys, just need help on linux mint debian, am using the 64 bit version, my video card is not working it is a ati radeon hd 3400 and skype is not working when i open it nothing happens. thank you and have a nice day,
With the 64bit version, I had to install [ia32-libs-gtk] to get skype working. Make sure you have [ia32-libs] installed also.
Thanks!
Sassinak

Post by Sassinak »

jamshill wrote:hi there,

I am new here.

I am using linuex windows. I am facing a problem can any body tell me about the features of windows.
You may have installed Linux from within Windows, but not Linux for Windows.
Linux replaces Windows as a desktop Operating System ("OS").

We can help you, but you will have to be much more specific: What is the problem ?
What is the Linux version ("distribution") you installed? On what kind of machine?
zohall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zohall »

oh finally release :o
thank u
442632Mi

Post by 442632Mi »

Just installed at Home Workstation, its nice & responsive very well. More power Masters. Thank you so much for this one. :)
unixphoenix

Post by unixphoenix »

i installed linux mint debian edition in my 40 gig hdd .iheve debian stable on a separate 40 gig hdd.thanks for debian testing.please do let me know how i can help test my computer and give you feedback for debian lmde.congrats and jolly great work!!
premamotion

Post by premamotion »

I have a question, maybe is offtopic here but didn`t found any other place where to post it... On Distrowatch, why Linux Mint and LMDE are listed together??
I want to see LMDE`s position, separate from Linux Mint, which is not the same thing... why they have included LMDE and Linux Mint under Mint???
Quantumboredom

Post by Quantumboredom »

Eucalyptus wrote:
albert wrote:I installed LMDE 32bit on VirtualBox VM running on an aging iMac (I'm getting closer to just wiping the iMac and installing LM), and it works great directly from the .iso, however, when I try to install it, I eventually get a menu which scans for partitions (there 20 GiB available in VM). The menu follows one which asks about keyboard layout. I then "edit" partitions, Gparted starts and shows my 20 GiB unallocated space. I'm tempted to create a partition table but don't really have a clue re the details.

Any help here greatly appreciated.
The most important to remember is to separate root and home partition. Assuming you allocates 512 MB RAM to the VM:

6 to 8 GB, ext4, / (slash which means root)
remaining -512 MB, ext4, /home
512 MB, swap
Is it really important to have a separate /home partition? I would much prefer to just have a swap partition and a / partition, nothing else. Is there anything wrong with that?
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

I don't keep a distinct /home partition. Rather, I just use symbolic links to the things I care about keeping. For example, I use GFTP, so my real .gftp directory is on one of my data disks, and there's a .gftp symbolic link to it in my home directory. Same with other apps I care about not having to set up on each install.

If it's important to you to not have a distinct /home, I can't think of any reason you need to.

HTH,
Bob
hamdimo

Post by hamdimo »

is there any way to upgrade from Linux Mint 10 "julia" to Linux Mint Debian??
I'm using version 10 from mint, it's awesome but then i read that LMDE is faster, i wanna give it a try and upgrade or update or whatever i have to do :p
rpeake

Post by rpeake »

Hello. I have tested the Linux Mint Debian 64 bit release and was disappointed. If the intention is to eventually move away from Ubuntu to Debian then please base the future Linux Mints on the stable version not the test version. Or perhaps you could offer future Linux Mint Debian in 2 basic flavours, Debian Stable and Debian Test. Ron
friTTe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by friTTe »

rpeake wrote:Hello. I have tested the Linux Mint Debian 64 bit release and was disappointed. If the intention is to eventually move away from Ubuntu to Debian then please base the future Linux Mints on the stable version not the test version. Or perhaps you could offer future Linux Mint Debian in 2 basic flavours, Debian Stable and Debian Test. Ron
You can always change the sources to squueze, the latest stable relase of Debian.
But i get what you want :) maybe someone could do a remaster with the stable sources added.
friTTe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by friTTe »

hamdimo wrote:is there any way to upgrade from Linux Mint 10 "julia" to Linux Mint Debian??
I'm using version 10 from mint, it's awesome but then i read that LMDE is faster, i wanna give it a try and upgrade or update or whatever i have to do :p
Well the easy answer is no :) 10 is based on Ubuntu and LMDE is based on Debian, make some backups and a fresh install, then sit back,relax grab some cold ones :)
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

Hi I just want to say its a good os in general, good ideas for a rolling release. lots of good ideas etc.

but i find this, since its creation and because the rolling release there needs to be an update when the debian testing base updates to the next one. my friend who has a 2ghz dual core with 4gigs ram a few weeks ago installed and it took him between 3-5 hours plugged into a dsl cable with good internet speeds. these days for a computer os, especially a linux one thats shocking. if lmde was kept up to date and maintained better it would help. i say this y would the team start a project if not to continue to make changes, updates and improvements. others things i Note is that it lacks lmde splash screen and branding, also does not link to #linuxmint-debian in xchat.

so is there going to be an update for this soon with fixes that will make lmde a great os for all.

p.s. i hear there is a lack of devs working on this project and some of them where also on the main mint dev team hence this wonderful distro is far behind where it could be.
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

friTTe wrote:
hamdimo wrote:is there any way to upgrade from Linux Mint 10 "julia" to Linux Mint Debian??
Well the easy answer is no :) 10 is based on Ubuntu and LMDE is based on Debian, make some backups and a fresh install, then sit back,relax grab some cold ones :)
not to mention hours to install as no updated release. once done you are good to go.
m4daredsun

Post by m4daredsun »

Mickeyj4j wrote:Hi I just want to say its a good os in general, good ideas for a rolling release. lots of good ideas etc.

but i find this, since its creation and because the rolling release there needs to be an update when the debian testing base updates to the next one. my friend who has a 2ghz dual core with 4gigs ram a few weeks ago installed and it took him between 3-5 hours plugged into a dsl cable with good internet speeds. these days for a computer os, especially a linux one thats shocking. if lmde was kept up to date and maintained better it would help. i say this y would the team start a project if not to continue to make changes, updates and improvements. others things i Note is that it lacks lmde splash screen and branding, also does not link to #linuxmint-debian in xchat.
Installed LMDE 201101 on my girlfriend's laptop only yesterday. Still have to download 900 MB of updates. Basically it's like downloading the ISO and installing the OS a 2nd time, but I'm sure it'll take much longer :roll:

An ISO with more frequent updates would be really great...

Return to “Releases & Announcements”