After fresh install I get GRUB error 17!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

After fresh install I get GRUB error 17!

Post by Christof999 »

Hi there,

I installed Mint 3.1 Cassandra. After installing I restarted and got Error 17 when GRUB started. I cannot boot into my system!

Can someone please help me out here?

I have to be honest, its a bit annoying to have to repair a freshly installed system. I am running on a deadline for my business and need to access my files. Please help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks
Christof
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

If you could provide us with some info about your system it would help us help you.

What hardware are you installing on?

How is (are) the hard drive(s) partitioned?

Does the grub error happen before the grub menu, or when you actually try and boot something?

Grub error 17 usually happens in systems with more than 1 hard drive, and grub is looking at the wrong drive. Typically this would be a system with mixed drives (IDE & SATA) and grub is installed on one drive, while the other contains the actual boot code. The fix could be as simple as changing the boot order of your drives in the BIOS; or you may need to install grub on the correct boot device.

Aloha, Tim

PS: You may find the info on this link helpful...
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#17
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Christof999 »

Hi,

I have four SATA Disks. No dual boot, just linux.

SATA 1 250 GB - Boot Disk - Recognized by Linux as sdc
SATA 2 320 GB - Storage - Recognized by linux as sdd
SATA 3 500 gb - Films - Recognized by Linux as sdb
SATA 4 500 GB - Television - Recognized by linux as sda

All the drives are single partitions except for SATA 2, which is a root, swap and home partition.

Grub simply says Grub stage 1.5
Error 17

I tried altering the HD disk order in BIOS, it did not work. Other distros like Suse have been able to just install and boot properly. I like Mint the best, but I am really tired of having to tweak Linux. I need a computer that just works.

Please help me out. I know its a Grub problem. I am sure with enough tweaking I can get it to work. However, I shouldn't have to tweak a fresh install, it should just work.

I have used Mint before GRUB has NEVER installed properly once on this computer. However, before gfxboot, I would get dropped to the GRUB prompt and could manually boot my computer, with Celena and GFXboot that no longer happens. I seriously would love to love Mint, but if the Grub issue in Mint are not fixed, I will have to look into another OS or distro (And please don't tell me that there are not serious GRUB issue with mint, half the topics in the installation and boot forum are grub related). I am not trying to knock Mint, it seems like a good distribution, but this issue really needs to be addressed.

Please help my business get back on its feet. I need to get to my customers files.
Christof

Return to “Installation & Boot”