Convince other distributions to be based on mint

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
quake

Convince other distributions to be based on mint

Post by quake »

Why don't go to other distribution websites and try to convince them to base their OS on Mint instead on Debian or Ubuntu.
vrkalak

Re: Convince other distributions to be based on mint

Post by vrkalak »

This is one of the great things about GNU/Linux and Open Source . . . the "Freedom of Choice"
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

That's not how it is normally done. Ubuntu didn't go to clem and suggest that he base Mint on their distro, clem saw a way to produce a better OS using the Ubuntu code as a base and, since the code is open source, there was nothing to prevent him implementing his ideas.

Many Linux distros were begun in this fashion or because of a difference of opinion among the developers on the future course of an older distro. The existing distros do not solicit people to create new distros based on their code. Why create more competition?
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

quake wrote:Why don't go to other distribution websites and try to convince them to base their OS on Mint instead on Debian or Ubuntu.
That could become a logistical nightmare. It may entail Mint hosting repositories for all of the packages instead of Mint specific packages.

From a different angle, various Mint tools have been incorporated as default items in a number of distros. And other distros have some of the Mint tools available in their repositories. Even Ubuntu has done some of both.
quake

Post by quake »

I think their are a lot of Debian and Ubuntu based distros that would benefit by using mint as the base OS. We can find them by using distro watch search.

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?categ ... tus=Active

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?categ ... tus=Active
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Mint is based off of Ubuntu, it's just as easy for other distributions to build strait off Ubuntu. Clem does provide the source code for everything Mint related and other distros are using things like the Mint menu.
pan

Post by pan »

So, then your distro would base on mint, which is based on ubuntu and which is based on debian 8)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

pan wrote:So, then your distro would base on mint, which is based on ubuntu and which is based on debian 8)
Not something I'd be attracted to, and there can't be many devs who would want to do that -- especially with an existing project. What advantage would there be to switching from a Debian or Ubuntu base to a Mint base?
m.keane

Post by m.keane »

I don't get it. Why base on Mint? What advantage does that offer?
Mint is already based on another distro.. its.. redundant. Sorry.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

My take on it ... Clem da blessed, got a look at how awful and user unfriendly ubuntu was and thought sheesh something has to be done about this !!!

Then applied his and the Mint HQ's talents into making ubuntu actually worth using, lol. Thus Linux Mint was born. :D

Sighs OT: Mint has it's hands full ironing out all the bugs ubuntu hands them and turning it into something much better and more user friendly than the pure buntu stuff. That's several full time jobs in itself. If they recruit anymore talented software developers to the Linux Mint banner. Then those people would be of more use contributing what they can to improving on Mint itself. Rather than forking off and trying to reinvent Mint.

Just my opinions on the topic. ( edit) Admittedly ignorant opinions on it. Since am not a software developer and don't know what all they have to deal with in keeping the Magic Minty Machine rolling along.
quake

Post by quake »

My thinking is that using mint as a base will increase the base standard of user friendliness on Linux. The idea does not directly improve mint just Linux as a whole. Clearly this would not work on every distribution out their. UberStudent is a distro that I think would if it was based on mint.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri ... berstudent
quake

Post by quake »

m.keane wrote:I don't get it. Why base on Mint? What advantage does that offer?
Mint is already based on another distro.. its.. redundant. Sorry.
Not all distros based on Debian, and Ubuntu are that polished. For example, an educational distro may not focus on ease of uses like mint. So they can start with Mint and then just add educational programs as needed. Others wise these distros will have to go through the user unfriendliness of Debian and ubuntu.
quake

Post by quake »

lmintnewb wrote:My take on it ... Clem da blessed, got a look at how awful and user unfriendly ubuntu was and thought sheesh something has to be done about this !!!

Then applied his and the Mint HQ's talents into making ubuntu actually worth using, lol. Thus Linux Mint was born. :D

Sighs OT: Mint has it's hands full ironing out all the bugs ubuntu hands them and turning it into something much better and more user friendly than the pure buntu stuff. That's several full time jobs in itself. If they recruit anymore talented software developers to the Linux Mint banner. Then those people would be of more use contributing what they can to improving on Mint itself. Rather than forking off and trying to reinvent Mint.

Just my opinions on the topic. ( edit) Admittedly ignorant opinions on it. Since am not a software developer and don't know what all they have to deal with in keeping the Magic Minty Machine rolling along.
My idea was more for specialized forks. Not an other beginner friendly distro.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”