Linux Mint 11 "Katya" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" RC released!

Post by nunol »

luna paradox wrote:The new release looks nice. Not so much working for me though :( the whole system freezes up within 30 seconds of the desktop booting up. Ran well right after install did update and then rebooted and now can't do anything. Will wait a few more weeks and try again and see if this will change with some more updates.
Can't you go to a console (Ctrl-Alt-Fx, x=1 to x=6) or that freezes as well?
luna paradox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by luna paradox »

Nothing works but as of now I do not blame mint 11 because after posting mint LXDE not the debian version but lxde desktop version did the same just updated it today as well. Only problem is when it happened in lxde no longer could even boot into it. I'm in the xfce debian live disc now and installing and having no issues but will see after install is done. All I can think is something in the updates is causing me problems or the ide ports on my motherboard are going out but I really doubt that but crazier things have happened. This is an oldish computer P4 2.5 ghz. 1 gig ram intel board. with an old nvidia card gforce 2 mx 400. I first saw this happen when I installed ubuntu 11.04 but my lxde 10 has been running fine until I updated through the update manager earlier this evening.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

If you update package by package you can find out what package is breaking you system, that way all you have to do is not upgrade that one until a fixed package is released.
luna paradox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by luna paradox »

nunol wrote:If you update package by package you can find out what package is breaking you system, that way all you have to do is not upgrade that one until a fixed package is released.
That is a good idea. going to see how this works out then on my other partition I might just do that.
luna paradox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by luna paradox »

The xfce version based on debian seems to be fine must be something from upstream in Ubuntu. maybe tomorrow I will figure out what package breaks the other.
rykel98

Post by rykel98 »

Hi, I do NOT have a working CD burner and my laptop does NOT boot up from USB. However, I have internet connection AND I can wipe out the Ubuntu Natty.

Can you please suggest to me how I can install Linux Mint Katya then? (Somebody was kind enough to share the repository URLs with me, but I had GPG and authentication errors.)
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Nunol: This is a workaround to use a computer with CD drive, but without DVD. It won't help if there's no CD drive present.

You can make a 3GB FAT32 partition on your harddrive using GParted (from Ubuntu Software Center), and use Unetbootin to make a Live 'HardDisk Install' on that partition (Select Hard Disk in the 'type' drop-down box). This will make a fake DVD on your harddisk, which will be added to the boot menu of Ubuntu.

Note that this is not a real Mint install, it's a Live DVD: Live means that it's to be used to install, or to try out Mint. It will not save any changes you've made. We'll now install a real Mint out of it.

When the Live Mint is made you can select Mint in the Grub bootloader of Ubuntu, and then you will boot into the Mint Live DVD which is in fact your FAT32 partition.
From that fake-DVD you can run the Mint installer and then install Mint over Ubuntu. When that is done, you can wipe the FAT32 partition with the DVD and run this command to remove the Live DVD from the boot menu:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
This command will remove all partitions that don't exist anymore from the boot menu.

After the FAT32 partition is away, you get some 3GB unallocated space on the disk. You can create a partition here if you want, and use that for anything you like.

Note that not being able to boot from USB usually means: USB boot is turned off in the BIOS, or the harddisk comes first in the boot sequence. If you know how to change this (often described in a laptop's manual) you can boot from USB.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

AlbertP wrote:Nunol: This is a workaround to use a computer with CD drive, but without DVD. It won't help if there's no CD drive present.
Yes, I assumed that he can't burn a CD but he may have a CD reader and some other linux bootable CD.

It's possible to boot from a floppy and then from a USB pen: http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

Return to “Releases & Announcements”