Ideas for mintcast

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
harrison

Ideas for mintcast

Post by harrison »

Hello all

We need ideas for mintCast. Howtos, interviews, reviews, anything! we need ideas mostly for howtos (they are harder to do on a audio podcast) but we need ideas!

Thanks in advance.

Harrison
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cpatrick08

Re: Ideas for mintcast

Post by cpatrick08 »

harrison wrote:Hello all

We need ideas for mintCast. Howtos, interviews, reviews, anything! we need ideas mostly for howtos (they are harder to do on a audio podcast) but we need ideas!

Thanks in advance.

Harrison
you could do a interview with Ubuntu creator mark Shuttleworth about why he went with unity as apposed to gnome shell and talk about the changes to Ubuntu and stuff like that
DonsEars

Post by DonsEars »

I would like a discussion on networking with Linux, Windows and Macs for file sharing. Also, a good network inventory program that recognises Windows, Macs and Linux machines. I want to know mainly what machines are up/down, who is logged in and what is the IP address. Bonus: hardware and software inventory of each machine fed to a database.

Glad to hear mintCast is continuing on. Keep up the great work!

- Don
harrison

Post by harrison »

DonsEars wrote:I would like a discussion on networking with Linux, Windows and Macs for file sharing. Also, a good network inventory program that recognizes Windows, Macs and Linux machines. I want to know mainly what machines are up/down, who is logged in and what is the IP address. Bonus: hardware and software inventory of each machine fed to a database.

Glad to hear mintCast is continuing on. Keep up the great work!

- Don
Um.... that is currently a little out of our league. Not impossible but don't expect this anytime soon. (unless you know how and want to join as a guest)

Keep the ideas coming!

Harrison
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Wireless troubleshooting
How to repair Grub
Oscar

Ideas for mintcast

Post by Oscar »

Habitual wrote:Wireless troubleshooting
How to repair Grub

Grub grub grub...

One thing I've been contemplating is setting up grub on it's own partition. Any merit to the idea and how to would be great, as I've yet to succeed with it.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I have made a partition (524 MB) and mounted it at /boot during the installation of Linux Mint. Then not only Grub but also the kernel image is there, but that does not really matter for me.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
harrison

Post by harrison »

I remember Mark/SiKing did a partitioning episode but I think that was for /Home on a separate partition. If anyone would like to listen it's Ep. 20 or 21 iirc.

Keep them coming, and tell everyone you know on IRC and other places about Mintcast. Not a lot of people know about it. (Or those people just don't like podcasts!)

Harrison
Doughbury

Post by Doughbury »

After listening to episode 61 today, I was inspired to come to the forum and see what I could do to give back to the community. I'm not a coder, and I'm not an advanced user--I'm just a guy who likes Linux, and I'm not seeing a whole lot of opportunities for people with my particular skill sets and interests, so I think it would be neat in future episodes to feature a variety of various efforts by which different people are giving back to the Linux and Linux Mint community.
harrison

Post by harrison »

Doughbury: that's a great idea! I don't know why we (the mintCast team) didn't think of it sooner! that would be a great podcast topic, and it would help us get away from our review and interview crutch!

Harrison
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Mint Forums Doughbury!

Cheers.
Lostwithaclue

Post by Lostwithaclue »

Harrison some of the ideas for the podcast may be in the forum, maybe not whole shows but short segments for each show. One example would be to focus on tips for newbies http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=59925 . Find a tip or two that the crew thinks would be worth discussing and spend some time on it. I know you have the tip of the week but this could be a segment called taken from the forum or something like that.

Is it possible to get this topic moved to the main board index page for more visibility?
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

Doughbury wrote:After listening to episode 61 today, I was inspired to come to the forum and see what I could do to give back to the community. I'm not a coder, and I'm not an advanced user--I'm just a guy who likes Linux, and I'm not seeing a whole lot of opportunities for people with my particular skill sets and interests, so I think it would be neat in future episodes to feature a variety of various efforts by which different people are giving back to the Linux and Linux Mint community.
I would also concur with this, also i'd like to point out a couple other things i have been wondering about. First where is the Mint content in "mintcast"? Ok as harrison eluded to maybe they got a little dependent on the interview/news crutch but, one just has to scan the forums and IRC to see there is alot of "going-ons" within Mint itself and to not include these (or at least references to) in the cast is imo dereliction of its title. It also appears (in the eps i have heard) that content is slipping away from the mint base (distro, apps, function) more and more every week; with everything actually going on around here you think there could be at least 10-20 mins of every eps geared to actual mint related discussion then seeking out unrelated stuff to fill the whole show. I have had a couple of brief discussions with a few mintcast listeners and we do agree that the cast hast changed from a community binding affair to a duty to fill a slot affair. Like i said, Just My Opinion, but yes, lately (in just the 10 eps i've heard it does sound like it is slipping into Network fill a slot after the main event got cancelled mode.

On a more positive note it (mintcast) does seem rather skilled at putting together the show, the gang seems to get along ok, and there is a hint of chemistry that seems to be lacking in some casts ive listened to.

Keep up the good work.
raywoods

Post by raywoods »

Hi Harrison.
One of the first things most people do, after a fresh install, is to set up their desktop. My usual post install to-do list runs as such...

0. Check for updates and install additional applications.

1. Set the desktop time and place (down in the bottom right of the screen). Setting the preferences to show a 24 hour clock, including the seconds is quickly followed by setting the time and, more importantly, linking it to a local Atomic clock, (hence showing the seconds)! I then select my area, (in my case London City Airport), then I have the current weather and temperature along side the clock.

2. A right click on the centre of the bar, at the bottom, brings up another menu upon which I select 'Add to Panel...'. Down the bottom of this list is the Workspace Switcher. (Why this isn't included in the default desktop set up? It is one of the best features of the Gnome desktop.) Once installed you can again right click on the Workspace Switcher and through preferences change the number of desktops and the layout. I usually run with a web browser on one desktop, Thunderbird on the next, etc.

3. Next stop is the desktop wallpaper, (although Mint 11 looks like it may stay on my next desktop, for a bit at least), currently I have the ever changing series of Space Scenes. After right clicking on the desktop the avenues are now open for you to change fonts (styles and sizes), desktop themes, colours et al. I personally like nice bright and clear buttons so I choose Clearlooks2-Squared-Berries and Oxygen Icons.

4. Everybody has their favourite applications (say three or four of them) that are most frequently used. I always drag down their Icons, from the Mint menu to the bar, next to the Menu button. This provides me with quick launchers for, in my case, Firefox, Thunderbird, Audacity and LibreOffice Writer. (It is best to get them into position, then lock them down. (Yes; Right Clicking again!)

There we are and, I haven't even got on to Compiz yet!!

By the way, a bit of advice to the listeners. If when navigating through an application or the Gnome desktop and you're not clear as to what to do next, try right clicking on it. Almost invariably a menu appears with a solution.

All the best to you.
Ray
khan

Post by khan »

One thing I'd like to hear more about is KDE. I recently tried it out with the release of Fedora 15, and downloaded the KDE spin. One thing that Charles and Rothgar did that really helped me out when I started using Linux was give a few good suggestions on Software to use, and some useful tips and pointers for making your experience better.

Otherwise, very awesome podcast, glad you guys could keep it up. It's interesting to me listening to everyone's point of views and keeping up with all the Linux News around the globe. Keep it up!
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Hot women +bikini's or scanty dress = success.

Won't matter what they're saying people will still watch closely.

(edit) Further elaboration on this, hmmmm. What would playboy be without the bunnies. What would solid gold have been w/o the solid gold dancers ? All of this leads me to believe Mint needs the Mintettes. Laugh if you must ! Tis brilliant I tell you !!!

:D
scottlinux

Post by scottlinux »

Why not read / answer listener emails? More audience interaction is always good,
harrison

Post by harrison »

scottlinux wrote:Why not read / answer listener emails? More audience interaction is always good,
We do, well it's more of a read the emails on air but if you have listened you would have found that after the main topic and maybe one other thing we generally do feedback, if there is any, and if a question comes in we respond by email.

Harrison
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You could review Windows Managers (WM). Once in a while you would test a WM and share your opinion on the mintcast about what you liked, dislike and so on.

There are plenty of WM's but you could start with the most used, Fluxbox, Openbox, E17/E16 and so on. Besides reviewing them in Mint you could also review a distro that has a good implementation of that particularly WM.

You have here two big lists of WM:
http://xwinman.org/others.php
http://www.gilesorr.com/wm/table.html

A little more information:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_Manager

And the usual wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_window_m ... w_managers

You could post on the Forum what WM you are going to review and that way you could have some feedback before the mintcast.
scottlinux

Post by scottlinux »

harrison wrote:
scottlinux wrote:Why not read / answer listener emails? More audience interaction is always good,
We do, well it's more of a read the emails on air but if you have listened you would have found that after the main topic and maybe one other thing we generally do feedback, if there is any, and if a question comes in we respond by email.

Harrison
Ok cool I have just started listening! If this is happening, why not paste info about listener emails on the show notes. There are no mention of listener emails anywhere on mintcast.org or in the show notes.

Ex on this page: http://www.mintcast.org/2011/05/episode ... orage-nas/

Have a section like this in the summary:

Emails

- Email from Bob re: compiz
- Email from Stan re: LMDE
etc

Also perhaps make a dedicated page on mistcast.org with an email form? Like a tab/page called feedback. (cforms is good for this on wordpress http://www.deliciousdays.com/cforms-plugin/ )

I know the mintCast@mintcast.org email is in there on the posts at the bottom, but it is not 100% clear just skimming the website.

Just an idea. Thanks,

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”