LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
kwatson512

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 17 may 2011

Post by kwatson512 »

@craig10x, if you precede that with "sudo apt-get update" aptitude will reload your package information (update the repositories), and then your dist-upgrade will be up to date.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
But I think the team has updated MintUpdate so that the GUI takes care of both steps as well (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

:)
zerozero

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 13 may 2011

Post by zerozero »

misGnomer wrote: Can I just use the Package -> Force Version option?
that should work, anyway you only solve this issue, and not the problem: for that you have to look here

$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
and you see the mint repos with a higher pin priority than Debian (this is the real problem, with libcairo as it was with xchat and with virtualbox http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=70587 );

So, basically it's up to you, if you level the apt preferences, you will have a more clean and lean install (and a few -not many- updated pkgs)
misGnomer

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 13 may 2011

Post by misGnomer »

Thanks again zero². Choices right ahead: having recent versions of apps and occasional breakage (and apps going missing) or... I also have the Frickelplatz repo in the mix and it doesn't have a priority setting. The virtualbox thread didn't really leave any wiser in terms of a long term solution regarding my trio (well and the liquorix kernel) mix of repos. :oops:

I'll 'force' the issue and sweat later. Instant rewards and all... :wink:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the force version should do the job;

as for the extra repos, i don't use them in this lmde install, but abuse of all i can find in my lmde-sid (frickel, mepis, hadret, aptosid) and as a safety rule i have them disabled, and only once in a week or so give them a look to see whats new or updated (it's maybe a bit safer)
colossus75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by colossus75 »

Hello all,

I am running Mint Debian 64bit, I haven't done any updates for about 3-4 weeks. I have a fall back clonezilla image from May 22, 2011.

the past 3 days or so I have been trying to do updates with : sudo apt-get update and sudo apt dist-upgrade.

When I am in the gui..after all the updates have been done everything seems fine, but when I reboot..I get dumped straight to the terminal..no more gui..not sure how to fix this issue. When doing the updates there were like over 400+. I have gone through the 400+ updates 2 x now..and both times at the end and reboot get dumped to the terminal no gui.

I was debating going to the 64bit Mint Isadora LTS, since it is somewhat more stable and less likely to break. However, side note, I am also running 32bit LMDE on the same machine in dual-boot with the 64bit LMDE, and that updated fine using sudo apt-get update and sudo apt dist-upgrade. Only the 64bit LMDE is dumping me straight to the terminal on boot.

any thoughts on how to fix?
Kllisre x79 v2.82a
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2
16 GB Kllisre DDR3-1333 MHz ECC
500GB Samsung Evo 860 2.5" SATA SSD [OS]
2TB (main data drive EXT4)
2TB (backup data drive EXT4)
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

^did you, per chance, install proprietary drivers for your video card?
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

Since the last update for Mint Update, Mint Update dont Update.
Iff i choose install updates, the window disapears and come back whit the same update in it.
gozer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gozer »

kruijf wrote:Since the last update for Mint Update, Mint Update dont Update.
Iff i choose install updates, the window disapears and come back whit the same update in it.
Restart update manager, or log out and back in again.
Debian Testing
g+
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

Thanks its working normal again.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Saturday June 4, 2011 6:00AM EST Mint Update--- Removed my XChat package

Maybe I'm not understanding this properly, but there was a mint xchat update level 3 included/installed today, but the reality was that it totally removed my existing Xchat.

What am I missing here?

If memory serves me correctly, this is the second time that a MU has removed Xchat from LMDE

Edit:

Xchat-common replaced with 2.8.8-3 linuxmint1

Installing this update removed my existing xchat.

What happened? and how do I get Xchat back?

Thanks.

Edit 2:

After MU removed my existing xchat.....???

I had to go to synaptic, and install the xchat 2.8.8-3 (that I originally thought MU was going to install)

Everything is good now (I think).

MU strikes again!

Edit 3:

Xchat #linuxmint-debian reporting "xchat broken with upgrade currently, install version from Debian Testing"
jlsmith722

Post by jlsmith722 »

Strange Problem with Sound.
Sometime this week the sound on my machine ceased to function.
I am running a dual boot LMDE and Ubuntu Natty and the sound doesn't work in either distro. I have been updating the LMDE daily but have not changed the Natty at all since the sound was working.
In poking around on this I found that the sound works perfectly from a live DVD of either distro.
Any Ideas
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

My gut reaction is a configuration-issue - quite possible if you're using the same /home for both distributions. Toy around with volume, outputs, maybe even alsamixer-gui in both, see if it works. Otherwise, I would advice you to remove the file in /home where this is stored. I just don't know what file that might be...
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

malligt wrote:Saturday June 4, 2011 6:00AM EST Mint Update--- Removed my XChat package

Maybe I'm not understanding this properly, but there was a mint xchat update level 3 included/installed today, but the reality was that it totally removed my existing Xchat.

What am I missing here?

If memory serves me correctly, this is the second time that a MU has removed Xchat from LMDE

Edit:

Xchat-common replaced with 2.8.8-3 linuxmint1

Installing this update removed my existing xchat.

What happened? and how do I get Xchat back?

Thanks.

Edit 2:

After MU removed my existing xchat.....???

I had to go to synaptic, and install the xchat 2.8.8-3 (that I originally thought MU was going to install)

Everything is good now (I think).

MU strikes again!

Edit 3:

Xchat #linuxmint-debian reporting "xchat broken with upgrade currently, install version from Debian Testing"
It's been stated several times in this thread and by Clem himself quite awhile ago that MintUpdate is not yet compatible with LMDE and either Synaptic or the terminal (using 'apt-get dist-upgrade') should be used to do regular updates to LMDE. If MintUpdate is used levels 1 through 5 have to be enabled otherwise, sooner or later, something will break--guaranteed.

The thing to keep in mind is that LMDE is in it's first iteration right now and 1 to 3 months down the road updating/upgrading is going to be completely revamped. Until then please keep in mind that the majority of updates are coming directly from Debian Testing so even if you do use Synaptic or the terminal (as described above) to accomplish your regular updates you're going to have to pay close attention to what the updates are going to do to your system. Any OS based on Debian testing and updated directly from the Debian Testing are sure to have breakage now and then, that's why the updating system for LMDE is scheduled to be changed. But whatever you do don't use MintUpdate with only levels 1 through 3 enabled.

Note:: MintUpdate is only installed into LMDE right now basically for testing purposes as Clem is slowly updating it to make it compatible with LMDE but testing can only be accomplished by enabling all levels. Once that is done then MintUpdate should let you know ahead of time what packages are going to be installed, upgraded and removed before it actually happens. Just a heads up. :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

kmb42vt wrote: it now counts very slowly from 5% to 40% then disappears followed by the usual install/upgrade text.
at the time i couldn't reproduce this, now it's happening aswell, exactly as you descrive, just fyi :)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:
kmb42vt wrote: it now counts very slowly from 5% to 40% then disappears followed by the usual install/upgrade text.
at the time i couldn't reproduce this, now it's happening as well, exactly as you describe, just fyi :)
As strange as this might sound, I'm rather happy you have the problem as well. :D That being said, I have to believe to DB is actually being scanned correctly and it's only the output to the terminal that's incorrect. If the DB wasn't being scanned correctly then I'm sure the update processed would be a bit hosed altogether.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

kmb42vt wrote: I'm rather happy you have the problem as well. :D
cheers mate :lol: :D :lol: :D
and yes, i believe is just the output (unless someone comes with a better explanation)
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

@zerozero

Please update your posting title <main page "LMDE breakages read here first"> to reflect the 06 04 2011 xchat breakage that I've posted earlier today.

Thank you.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

@malligt no problem there, but unless i'm seen the problem wrong, the issue is packaging:

1- we got a working xchat from debian when perl5.12 broke the Mint xchat;
2- now that pkg is proposed to be updated to a new mint working version, but only xchat-common updates automatically, xchat has to be removed and then re-installed;
3- if you check in synaptic (in xchat-common properties), xchat is marked as recommended, and not as dependent as it should be to be updated aswell;
4- so basically the issue is with the way the pkgs were packed;
5- and the solution now is to do what you did, update xchat-common to the new v. (which will remove the installed xchat pkg - because as old v. is conflicting with the newly updated pkg) and after install the new xchat;
colossus75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by colossus75 »

aljoriz wrote:^did you, per chance, install proprietary drivers for your video card?
I don't believe so.
Kllisre x79 v2.82a
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2
16 GB Kllisre DDR3-1333 MHz ECC
500GB Samsung Evo 860 2.5" SATA SSD [OS]
2TB (main data drive EXT4)
2TB (backup data drive EXT4)
aljoriz

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 4 june 2011

Post by aljoriz »

if you are thrown back to the terminal does this command work?

startx
startx is the command, if I am not mistaken, to boot to the graphical environment.

Return to “LMDE Archive”