Using squeeze-backports in LMDE set to squeeze-stable

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
sharmila

Using squeeze-backports in LMDE set to squeeze-stable

Post by sharmila »

Hi,
I'm most happy using LMDE. I'm using LMDE pointing to squeeze not testing as I wanted a more stable laptop. It is so much better than Ubuntu. No annoying issues, no hangups and restarts. Very pleasant to use. There are a few things I would like to know.

1. I have added the squeeze-backports to list of sources. But the apps in backports do not show up in software manager. I need to specifically go to debian's site, check if a more recent update is available in backports (compared to stable) and install it from command line. I understand, that it is to ensure that people do not pull too much from backports as it can be unstable. But I'm willing to take that risk. Is there to make software manager show backports too? Else is there any other way to see packages available in backports?

2. Since I have set to debian squeeze, I expect I would be a little outdated in core packages. But the mint development would be based on the debian testing release and hence using more recent packages. Would I face any issues while updating mint packages because of this?

3. How stable is debian testing? I'm a little afraid to use the testing release as I use my laptop for development.

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Using squeeze-backports in LMDE set to squeeze-stable

Post by tdockery97 »

Like the name says, Testing is more subject to breakage than Debian Squeeze. If your main concern is unshakable stability, then keeping your repositories pointed at Squeeze is the way to go. If you search you will find instructions somewhere in the Debian forums regarding prioritizing your repos so that you will get updates from and can install from Squeeze Backports.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
sumski

Re: Using squeeze-backports in LMDE set to squeeze-stable

Post by sumski »

1)
You must pinn squeeze-backports higher then squeeze repos if you want them to show in Synaptic.(As you mentioned , this is not recommended, but no so much because of (in)stability, it's because that possibly wouldn't provide a safe upgrade to next Stable ) By default they have lower priority then the main repos, but packages already installed from backports have higher priority then the squeeze packages (ie. you would receive updates for these packages from backports , not from squeeze-security. )

2)
At some point , probably.

3)
If you are happy with Stable , stay with Stable. Some breakages or small/annoying bugs will happen with Testing , depending on your packages/hardware.

Return to “LMDE Archive”