Apps installed from tarballs not recocgnized in LM10 64bit

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phantom21

Apps installed from tarballs not recocgnized in LM10 64bit

Post by phantom21 »

I've installed multiple applications (Firefox4, Zimbra desktop, a couple others) in Linux Mint 10 (not LMDE) 64bit and the file systems doesn't recognize them existing, except through a directory listing.

The Firefox 4 is a 64bit app downloaded as a bzip tarball, the zimbra desktop is an i686 app, downloaded as a tarball.

When extracting both and executing an install perl script for zdesktop, the app itself, while showing in a ls -l listing, the file system refuses to recognize it, even when in the directory itself and, at the CLI, ./filename

The same happens for firefox 4 (although there is no install script, simply extract the files and place in appropriate locations.

The interesting part is this only affects LM10 64bit. I can install the same apps in 64bit Kubuntu Natty or 32bit LM10 and they work as they should.

Anyone have a clue why LM10 64bit doesn't recognize applications not installed via a package manager?

Mark
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Apps installed from tarballs not recocgnized in LM10 64b

Post by dawgdoc »

I can not tell you specifically why LM1064bit is not doing this for you while LM1032bit was; but you can probably get it to do so by installing the checkinstall package. From it's description
installation tracker

CheckInstall keeps track of all the files created or
modified by your installation script ("make install"
"make install_modules", "setup", etc), builds a
standard binary package and installs it in your
system giving you the ability to uninstall it with your
distribution's standard package management utilities.
phantom21

Post by phantom21 »

So, it seems I may not have explained clearly what the problem is in installing an application from a compressed file.

I'm running Linux Mint 10. I'm trying to install an application, and instead of firefox 4 let's use the Zimbra Desktop app as a proper example.

I've downloaded this file zdesktop_7_0_1_b10791_linux_i686.tgz from this location www.zimbra.com/products/desktop.html

I've decompressed the file and started the installation perl script install.pl. Doing it as root will create directory /opt/zimbra/zdesktop and install the files. In order to make it usefull for a user other than root you then do user-install.pl. This will create the necessary files in the user area and supposed to create a desktop icon.

Under LM10 the icon isn't created and the file, zdclient, even though it exists in the proper location with the proper permissions, gives an error the file or folder doesn't exist.

Under Kubuntu Natty the file installs and works the way it's supposed to.

Why won't the application run under ZM10? And, as noted above, other apps not installed through a package manager also don't run. And, it isn't just one system, it's multiple systems with LM10 installed. Oh, and this occurs specifically on the 64 bit version of LM10. The 32 bit version the apps work as they should.

This is an important question. Has anyone else had the same problem? And why is this happening?

Mark
DavidP

Post by DavidP »

Has this been figured out? I think I'm running into this problem with my zclient install on LM13 64bit.

thanks
pelon

Post by pelon »

Hello MINT Friends,

iḿ trying too install Zimbra (latest Version) on Linux Mint 14 64 bit and have the same problem. With other Software to be intalled manuelly i got similary problem for example with Skype (wich i later installed with the packet manager). Is there any solucion out there.

Greetings from South America

pelon

Return to “Software & Applications”