LMDE: Network stopped working after system update!!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
r2rX

LMDE: Network stopped working after system update!!

Post by r2rX »

Hey guys,

I just completed a fresh reinstall of LMDE and did a system update: sudo apt-get update , sudo-apt-get upgrade.

Everything completed successfully.....except now, after restarting, my network is no longer working.

In the Network Manager, I left the autoeth disabled and created a profile for the house (which would connect automatically). Now, neither are present and LMDE is telling me that my network cable isn't plugged....but it is.

The network manager isn't working properly now.....so can someone help me troubleshoot this?

All the help is appreciated. :)

r2rX :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LMDE: Network stopped working after system update!!

Post by TBABill »

You probably received an updated kernel version and whenever that happens you will need to reconfigure your wireless if it is not automatically setup. For example, my Broadcom requires me to follow install/setup steps upon installation. Then after getting an upgrade to a new kernel version (i.e., from 2.6.32 to 2.6.38....from 2.6.32-1 to 2.6.32-2, for example, would NOT require reconfig).

So, if you took any steps to enable it the first time you may have to do so again if you are on a new kernel version. If it's something else, further troubleshooting will be necessary.
r2rX

Post by r2rX »

It's a wired connection, actually. I'm not using wireless.

However, I found an interesting bug. When either editing/creating a new network profile (within the Network Manager), if I save the settings with the 'Apply for all users' disabled, when it returns to the main Manager screen, it disappears. So I kinda figured the issue.....ish.

Maybe someone else can test and see what's wrong.

r2rX

Post by r2rX »

I know this is 20 days late, but I figured why this problem happens. If you save any presets (whether default 'auto eth1' or your own) with the 'Available for all users' option unchecked, then this problem happens.

I can only assume that this isn't normal.

Return to “LMDE Archive”