No sound

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dracorX

Re: No sound

Post by dracorX »

jwelk wrote:Hi all,
I am new to LinuxMint but have been a user of Ubuntu for over a year. I just installed mint 3.1 and cannot get sound to work. I can hear system beeps in sound preferences and I can hear log on/off sounds, but no CD sound or sound from websites. I had the same issue with Ubuntu and decided to switch because I had heard that sound would work with Mint. I went through the Ubuntu Comprehensive sound guide and that didn't help. I have a SoundBlaster live card and would be willing to get one that is fully supported by Linux if that would help.

Also, where is automatic updates?

Thanks in advance.
Hello

I had similiar problems. Those can arise e.g. when you have an onboard sound chip as well.... mine has an ac97.

Can you verify that? are you using gnome or kde? so I can tell you how to look up? oh yes another way to look for it is if you have sound jacks next to your usb, ps2 and further ports.

If it is sthg like this reply, so I can tell you how to switch the default soundcard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nilsvac
Level 1
Level 1

No sound

Post by nilsvac »

Hi, I'm new with Linux. I have a problem with the sound, actually I have no sound. I have tried the sound preference but I don't know what to do. I've a sound card and sound out of the motherboard. I can't find any wiki about sound problems. Some help please?

Thanks
dracorX

2 ways

Post by dracorX »

Hello

There are basically 2 ways:

1st: switch your boxes to the motherboard soundcard
2nd: define the other soundcard as the first soundcard.

I will look up where to do it at home, will post a short howto tomorrow.
nilsvac
Level 1
Level 1

Sound works again

Post by nilsvac »

I don't know what i did but the sound works again!

This in probably not the place to post this question, but I need a program to make a website, the site is already made, but with webdrive(ftp) and frontpage. Can I use NVU, for ubuntu on linux mint? Or is their an other application you recommend?

If I want to learn more about Linux mint, can i use the Ubuntu wiki or an other source?

Thanks, Nils

Re: Sound works again

Post by Guest »

nilsvac wrote:I don't know what i did but the sound works again!

This in probably not the place to post this question, but I need a program to make a website, the site is already made, but with webdrive(ftp) and frontpage. Can I use NVU, for ubuntu on linux mint? Or is their an other application you recommend?

If I want to learn more about Linux mint, can i use the Ubuntu wiki or an other source?

Thanks, Nils
Nice that it works again!

For website, there are lots of possibilities, I like NVU for the rare cases I work without a content management system

As for learning, you can use mint wiki and ubuntu wiki, afaik mint is 95 % ubuntu

If you want to know more about linux itself, there s a course over at linuxbasics.org. It started already, but the 2 first chapters are mighty easy about history and distro choosing.

greez

Return to “Beginner Questions”