[SOLVED] Youtube stopped working in Firefox

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
DynamicMan

[SOLVED] Youtube stopped working in Firefox

Post by DynamicMan »

This seems like a bit of an odd problem to me.

Since a couple of days, every time I use FIrefox to visit Youtube I get only a black rectangle where the flash video player should be. Other video sites seems to be working fine (the ones I tried so far at least), and I can view Youtube in Chromium.

The strangest part is that I actually found a way to view youtube videos in said firefox browser - it seems to work fine if I enable "private browsing"...

So, dear community, what's up with that? :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmintnewb

Re: Youtube stopped working in Firefox

Post by lmintnewb »

Dunno could suggest a bunch of stuff. But think easiest would be to maybe backup your bookmarks. Uninstall/reinstall or mark for reinstall in synaptic ? See if that helps any. Sounds like a strange deal. Though nobody knows your comp, what you've done ( or haven't done ... whatever ) with it like you would. Maybe a plugin ... maybe a who knows what.

(edit) Might try telling people what version of FF and which Mint release is involved in this mystery too. Can't hurt ...
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

If it works in private browsing it may be a cookie issue. Simply clear your cookies and cache and try again.

-edit- deleting the contents of ~/.macromedia too will remove the flash cookies as well.
MrPink

Post by MrPink »

I have a very similar problem. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 36&start=0

I have tried reinstalling mint-flashplugin-x64 and switching back and forth between that and flashplugin-nonfree with no luck.
DynamicMan

[SOLVED] Re: Youtube stopped working in Firefox

Post by DynamicMan »

Sorry about not posting software specifics in my first post, I use LMDE with all updates (level 1 through 5) installed via MintUpdate, which means I currently use Firefox 3.6.13.

Before creating this thread I had tried uninstalling mint-flashplugin and installing flashplugin-nonfree instead, as well as marking firefox for reinstall in synaptic, both without success. However, I tried lmintnewb's suggestion of uninstalling firefox completely and then installing it again, and that worked.

I will try secipolla's idea if it happens again. It seems a bit simpler and less intrusive, assuming it works. :)

Thanks for your help everybody!

Return to “LMDE Archive”