How do I transform Ubuntu into Mint?

Contribute code & patches
Forum rules
No support questions here please

How do I transform Ubuntu into Mint?

Postby swiftlinuxcreator on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:30 pm

What is the procedure for transforming Ubuntu into Mint? I'd like to walk myself through the process of transforming Ubuntu into Mint. I want to familiarize myself with the development process and the infrastructure of Linux Mint.

I ask because I am the founder and lead developer of a new lightweight Linux distro called Swift Linux (http://www.swiftlinux.org), which is based on antiX Linux. I want Swift Linux to be the premier distro for Windows XP users by 2014 (when Microsoft ends XP support), just as Linux Mint is the premier distro for Windows Vista and 7 users. I also want Swift Linux to be the premier distro for Ubuntu and Mint users scraping by with only 512 MB of RAM.

Just like you, I find Linux Mint more user-friendly than Ubuntu, and I recommend it over Ubuntu for new Linux users. More importantly, I see that Mint is in second place on Distrowatch and gaining on Ubuntu. This is quite a feat given that Ubuntu has billions of dollars in marketing muscle and the greatest visibility. Thus, I know that Mint is extremely well-run and provides a model for all other distros to follow.

NOTE: I am looking for Swift Linux developers.
swiftlinuxcreator
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How do I transform Ubuntu into Mint?

Postby swiftlinuxcreator on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:33 pm

I chose Git/GitHub for version control and Launchpad.net for bug/goal tracking because Linux Mint uses these tools.
swiftlinuxcreator
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Kendall on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:45 pm

Mostly it comes down to enabling the proper repositories, setting up repository priorities, and adding/removing the necessary packages. If you dig around in the Mint repo you'll see that there are quite a number of patched packages and packages built specifically for Mint. This is where most of the changes come from.
Kendall
Level 7
Level 7

Postby AdamS on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:50 pm

why bother ?

Mint is better any ways lol. Just install mint and problem solved.
Proud owner of a 99.5 % Linux based Pc - laptop - netbook - tablet - networking business.
Do your self a favor, stop paying for imperfection. Once you know Linux, you never go back.
AdamS
Level 5
Level 5

Postby nunol on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:56 pm

AntiX works where Mint fails, i486 support, 128MB RAM and less. AntiX is faster on low end computers like PII and PIII with 128-512MB where both may run.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Postby lemonoid on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:33 pm

AdamS wrote:why bother ?

Mint is better any ways lol. Just install mint and problem solved.

He stated his reason. There isn't a dispute as to which is better he said he would like to learn the infrastructure of a Linux distro, and this is actually a great way to help one learn how a distro is built. Being that Ubuntu is like a foundation upon which he can build this helps learn how all of the overlying architecture is created such as theming and packaging. Its good to understand all of this before delving into all the harder coding of the kernel and deeper sys files

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
lemonoid
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Code & Patches