Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" released!

Post by Silent Warrior »

I suppose The Crew expects us to only have one harddrive - besides, any partition you'd be working on will have to be unmounted. In other words, if you want to modify your root partition, you'll have to disconnect the OS-partition - epic fail. It's probably much less fuss to keep it on the CD/DVD than trying to find a way around using it from the target partition.
Digital_Resistance

Post by Digital_Resistance »

I have tried the no codecs 32-bit Mint 11 live CD several times now.

Missing from NetworkManager Applet:

- indication of wireless signal strength when hovering over the icon on taskbar
- padlock icon next to encrypted networks on list

Also, I experienced complete freezes each and every time, shortly after booting but I had the same thing with Ubuntu 11.04 as well as Fedora 15 (both the main Gnome edition as well as the LXDE one), so I suspect the problem is somewhere on my end. (Though I did not have this problem with numerous other live distros, including previous versions of Mint, Ubuntu and Fedora. Quite odd. I wonder if a hardware root kit may be at work.)
tosh124 wrote:Is there any reason why Gparted is never included in any releases?
I know that GParted is included in Mint 10 (main Gnome editon).

EDIT: When running live, at least.
Last edited by Digital_Resistance on Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Digital_Resistance: I get that too - using XFCE I don't get this issue ever, KDE often works, but will sometimes freeze with looooots of HD-activity (Nepomuk/indexing?). Graphics hardware: Intel GMA 4500. Also happened with Fedora 15 live-CD.
I got Unity 2D to work, after a gargantuan struggle with external repositories (so now GNOME doesn't work...), but the session doesn't always co-operate on log-in.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

GParted is there on most live CD/DVD's, but not included in an installed Mint by default. You can install it from the software manager.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
palmic

Post by palmic »

My Katya runns very bad from first day.
How can for Christ gtk-windows-decorator takes 1.2GB RAM??!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the system is very slow, wainting for HDD after every action...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I think that there's some bit or byte corrupted during the download or burning.

Did you check the md5sum of the ISO file after downloading?

If it's OK, retry burning the DVD or CD, on the lowest possible speed.

If the md5sum is not OK, please download Mint 11 again.

When you're having a proper CD/DVD, reinstall Mint and it'll be OK.
palmic

Post by palmic »

Hello,

Thank you 4 reply.

I have that checksum ok, my friend linux guru is experiencing some other GUI problems too, so i think thats something wrong in this release.
Iam not enough experienced to deal with it.

Thank you anyway.
Michal.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Been using Mint since the third release, and Katya is my favorite so far. Not just because it boots fast and is super-responsive, on top of all the other goodies the Mint Team has added. This is also the first release where I actually liked the default theme enough to keep it (OK, I changed the icon set and the font - but everything else is the same!)

Here's the result (click for fullsize):

Digital_Resistance

Update: Not ALL New Live CDs Crash on Me...

An update to my previous post above, in which I noted that Mint 11 as well as each and every one of the other new live CDs that I tried (Ubuntu 11.04, Fedora 15 Gnome as well as LXDE) would freeze on me shortly after booting:

It has now been several hours that I have been running the brand new Mageia release live, without any crash or freeze. So, thankfully, it is at least not all new releases that my hardware rejects.

EDIT: Alas, it was too good to be true; it was only a matter of time (albeit many hours) before Mageia finally froze on me too.
AlbertP wrote:Did you check the md5sum of the ISO file after downloading?

If it's OK, retry burning the DVD or CD, on the lowest possible speed.
I ran the media integrity check at boot-up and it said it passed.

Can that also return false results?

EDIT: I should have made it clear that I did verify the md5sum of the downloaded ISO (as I always do) before burning it to CD.

What I did not do was verify the md5sum of the CD after burning.

I was under the impression that running the integrity check at boot-up is at least as good (for verifying the integrity of the burn itself).
Last edited by Digital_Resistance on Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Not sure, but I've heard more of that. Checking the md5sum is the best way to know if there's some bit or byte corrupted while downloading.
It does not check for burning errors, but the disk integrity check can do that.
john123

Post by john123 »

Linux mint 11 freezes almost every time i close the lid the only thing that work's is the mouse it has done this since rc. I though it might be the screen saver but it wasn't. What's funny is my laptop can run Xubuntu 11.04 amazingly well along with Ubuntu 11.04. Oh well i will stick with Linux mint 10 until Linux mint 12 comes out.
Digital_Resistance

AlbertP wrote:Not sure, but I've heard more of that. Checking the md5sum is the best way to know if there's some bit or byte corrupted while downloading.
I should have made it clear that I did verify the md5sum of the downloaded ISO (as I always do) before burning it to CD.

What I did not do was verify the md5sum of the CD after burning.
It does not check for burning errors, but the disk integrity check can do that.
Yes, I was under impression that running the disk integrity check at boot-up is at least as reliable as verifying the md5sum of the burnt CD.
mintousa

Post by mintousa »

Awesome! I wish I could try it. I had Linux Mint 10 on my laptop before, but my parents made me re-install Windows 7. :c I still love Mint.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

mintousa wrote:Awesome! I wish I could try it. I had Linux Mint 10 on my laptop before, but my parents made me re-install Windows 7. :c I still love Mint.
You can use Mint in Live CD/DVD mode or in a pen, you can also install Mint 11 to a USB pen or external disk.

Another trick is to install Mint in dualboot mode and hide the Grub2 menu with a zero seconds delay, you can press the "Shift" key to show the menu and boot Mint but otherwise it will boot Windows and no one but you knows Mint is installed.
demon

Post by demon »

I'm not crazy about it. I have used mint 9 for more than a year with no real problems. Downloaded the iso for 11 and found major graphics problems-windows either dont open or flash a lot. Blank screen except top left corner. I tried"nomodeset" command which stabilized the live cd but only worked on 640 res. However i installed it hoping the problem would right itself-it didnt! So i had to re-install 9. The forum gave me no answers except some very snappy put-downs! Computer is a dell dimension 3000. Why does the os not provide the required graphics driver updates? I would like to update but cannot unless I can get some help. So I cannot agree with all the adulation regarding mint 11. It has cost me a lot of time & energy so far all to no avail.
MarkX

Post by MarkX »

This is the best version of Linux I have used. It's stable and extremely fast. I really like that I am still able to customize it the way I like as well as having a good default theme. The was a great job on the part of the Linux Mint team. Just before I tried this release I went back to Ubuntu for a bit and was not happy with the user experience at all. I think this team really packages Linux with a good end user experience. :D
chriselk

Post by chriselk »

i have just started using MINT 11 as a first time LINUX user and i am a little bit unsure of many things. I would like to ask if i can install Real Player 11 Gold onto MINT 11.
Many thanks, Chris.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

This is the download link of RealPlayer 11 Gold for Linux: http://www.real.com/realcom/R?href=http ... 11GOLD.deb
Double-click the file to install it. If it does not work (you get only a number of files and folders), right-click the file > Open With... > GDebi Package Installation.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

MarkX wrote:This is the best version of Linux I have used. It's stable and extremely fast. I really like that I am still able to customize it the way I like as well as having a good default theme. The was a great job on the part of the Linux Mint team. Just before I tried this release I went back to Ubuntu for a bit and was not happy with the user experience at all. I think this team really packages Linux with a good end user experience. :D

It is the best distro I have ever tried. The Mint team does a really nice job with their releases and I haven't installed a Mint release yet that wasn't solid and reliable. I have always loved the fact that it is so easy to customize and in my view, Mint 11 is the best one yet. :wink:
CaptSaltyJack

Post by CaptSaltyJack »

Mint 11 would've been fantastic were it not for the terrible Ubuntu kernel bug that was released that broke wireless on just about every Asus EEE PC out there. Any word yet on a fix for that? Or if the hosted ISO files will be updated?

Return to “Introduce Yourself”