How can I install Gnome Shell?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
xircon

How can I install Gnome Shell?

Post by xircon »

I would like to try it out, trying to build it (again!), but do not expect success. Can I install it from unstable on its own?

Cheers

Steve

PS build failed
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rob2uk

Re: How can I install Gnome Shell?

Post by rob2uk »

You need to enable an experimental repo. They're a good way to break your system, but if you really want to risk it, add this to /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code: Select all

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian experimental main
Then enter the following command in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install -t experimental -r gnome3-session
Good luck! :D
xircon

Post by xircon »

Breaks far too much, shame :( Abandoned.
SebbyNC

Post by SebbyNC »

When I tried to install Gnome3 and Gnome-shell the first time, on my current system, it broke. However, It didn't break when I tried the install on a fresh, non updated install (straight install from the live DVD, no updates or upgrades). But I found Gnome-Shell lacked too many customization options for the moment, and I don't have enough to find out how to customize the desktop to my needs. Also, Gnome-Shell refused to start and fell-back onto the compatibility mode, probably because I didn't have support for 3D acceleration for my Nvidia graphics card (I used the Nouveau driver).

I you dare to try again, I would suggest to try from a brand new install without updating, verify you have 3D acceleration enabled in your graphics cards driver, and then install the Gnome3/shell stuff.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

It's working very well but you need an unstable/experimental system. See: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=65263

Return to “LMDE Archive”