Noob friendly file sharing?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nick_Djinn

Noob friendly file sharing?

Post by Nick_Djinn »

What is the easiest and most noob friendly way of accessing files from a different computer in your house, assuming you know the username and password since its your own computer BUT you have not set up any special user permissions yet?

If not, what is the easiest and fastest way to set up those permissions so I can browse my desktop from my laptop over wifi router?

I want to be able to watch movies on my tv, using my laptop and HDMI cable, streaming from my desktop in the other room....but I want to do it all from the laptop, not from the desktop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ivan_rookie

Re: Noob friendly file sharing?

Post by ivan_rookie »

I'd also like to know how this could work. My laptop is with mac osx 10 and my desktop is with mint 10, desktop is wired with the rooter and the macbook uses the wi-fi.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

There are a number of options but let's try the easiest one first and see if it works for you. It's called Samba and it works fairly well although it does require a willing network configuration. The easiest way to create a samba share is as follows:

Open Nautilus
Right click a folder you own say ... Documents
Select "Sharing Options"
At this point if you don't have Samba installed it will ask you if you want to install it ( it may call it "Windows Networking") - you do.
Select "Share this folder", "Allow others to create and delete..", "Guest Access".
Select "Create Share"
It will ask you if you want it to modify permissions - you do.

You just created a Samba share - a "Samba Usershare" to be exact.

After a day of heavy binge drinking our Ubuntu overlords decided that along with the samba package itself it would be funny if another package called libpam-smbpass would also be installed when samba is installed. After a reboot ( yep a reboot - stay away from alcohol kids ) , libpam-smbpass automatically creates a samba password for every login user on your Mint box that matches their login password. So If you create a share in nautilus that does not allow guest access you can access it remotely by using the Mint users' login name and password.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
ivan_rookie

Post by ivan_rookie »

Ok, so I think I shared my Music folder on my Mint desktop. How can I access it from my macbook?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Ok, so I think I shared my Music folder
Run the following command to make sure:

Code: Select all

net usershare info --long
How can I access it from my macbook?
The share will show up in Finder automatically under "Network". If not use "Connect to Server" and either browse to the share or enter it's address directly:

smb://hostname
OR

smb://192.168.0.100
Using the actual hostname or ip address of the Mint server in place of "hostname" or "192.168.0.100"

You do realize you've hijacked this topic, right? If you have further difficulties please start your own topic
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

What if I get an error like this?

This machine has Pinguy, the other has mint. I am noticing problems with file pathways. Does anyone know why?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

What is the actual error message.
I am noticing problems with file pathways
That doesn't tell me much.

If you are trying to connect to a Mint machine from Pinguy then:

From Pinguy post the output of the following command:

smbtree
From Mint post the output of this command:

net usershare info --long
testparm -s
If you absolutely positively need to connect to these machines and you don't care about users or who has write access and who doesn't then use SSH:

On Mint:

sudo apt-get install openssh-server
On Pinguy:
Nautilus > File > Connect to Server:

Service type: ssh
Server: ip address of server
Folder: exact path to folder ( like /home/username/Documents )
If you want access to the whole machine don't enter any path
User Name: user name on the server

When you get an error message Select: "Log In Anyway"
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Sorry, I thought I copied and pasted the error. I only copied.

Yeah, on THIS drive its only media. I dont care if strangers watch my movies even. My work is elsewhere. Im not worried about security, at least through local LAN, as long as the other drives are not at considerable risk. I want it to be easy as possible to access from any computer.

Anyway, it said that there was a pathway error or something like that. I lost the error.

Ill try this.

The overheating problem is a problem. My Toshiba was fine, the acer shuts down from heat, and my desktop fans are working overtime. Performance is great though :/
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

Thanks altair4, this helped me as well. The thing most confusing me was the lack of sharing options in the default nemo file manager. I had to sudo nautilus from the terminal. :o
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.

Return to “Networking”