Webcam Image Upside Down?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MaggieGrim

Webcam Image Upside Down?

Post by MaggieGrim »

Hi all,

I'm preparing for a Skype interview tomorrow (!!) and I just set up Skype on my ASUS K50IJ Laptop. The image on my built in webcam is upside down, I tried to reinstall drivers for it, but can't find any for Linux, messed around with patching a few things, but am not really that familiar with coding in the terminal, etc. If anyone has some advice on how to remedy this, please let me know!

Thanks,

Maggie
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Webcam Image Upside Down?

Post by nunol »

mihail.george

Post by mihail.george »

Hi. I read the above pages you linked to but i still can't figure it out. :roll:
I have the same problem: my chicony CNF 7129 works upside-down in Skype on my Asus k50ij.
As a linux noob, I tried out quite a few distributions thinking that diferent architectures also mean
slightly different drivers but the problem persists wether is Fedora, Opensuse, Debian or Mint.
I chose Mint over all due to it's looks and simplicity but can someone help me, please?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

mihail.george

Post by mihail.george »

ok so i tried the code in terminal

Code: Select all

sudo -s
cd /bin/
wget http://codebin.cotescu.com/uvcvideo/flip_webcam
chmod +x flip_webcam
flip_webcam 1
and still no change. Then it says: After a kernel update run again:

sudo flip_webcam 1
but when i try that it says

/bin/flip_webcam: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
The instructions in the readme are to run the script with superuser privileges using these options

./flip_webcam {OPTION}                                               
        1              this applies patch1 file                              
        2              this applies patch2 file                              
       -h, --help      displays this beautiful help section  
but i have no idea how to make it work. Any clues? :(
mihail.george

Post by mihail.george »

thank you for support! somewhere in that thread i found a sort of a solution, as follows:
i ran in terminal this code

echo -e "\n# libv4l PPA\ndeb http://ppa.launchpad.net/libv4l/ppa/ubuntu `lsb_release -c | awk '{print $2}'` main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C3FFB4AA
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libv4l-0
and now before running the application i run in terminal:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so application_name
or more to the point:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
i sure hope this helps someone else and maybe in the future someone will also take care of that linux driver so it works properly. :wink:
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

I am glad it works, this small problems are always annoying.
mauricep

Post by mauricep »

The libv4l solution doesn't work for me. On running

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

from the terminal I get:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

and my video is still upside down.

I also tried the flip_webcam solution, but when trying to run the command, I get the error message

bash: /bin/flip_webcam: cannot execute binary file

I have already tried to re-download.

I think like many people I have already tried numerous solutions and am on the verge of giving up in desperation. It seems like such a problem should be easy to fix. I use Skype with a my webcam a lot. This would be a major drawback for me if I can't fix it. Help please!

Thanks for any ideas!

Maurice
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

What's your laptop and Mint edition?
desaparecido

Post by desaparecido »

Hi, recently I installed LinuxMint KDE NADIA 64bits and I have the same problem, It's a laptop ASUS K50ij. In all different solutions found here in forums are for precedents version, and like @mauricep, I have the same output, the same with v4l2convert. I verified the actual paths for these libs in the command line, and always the same problem. With all other software the webcam works fine, It's only with Skype (ver 4.1 from repos).

In my case is not my laptop, is of a friend that finally accept to take the freedom of Linux world, but sadly with this problem she's not so convinced :) , If I don't find solution for the next week i'll need to re-install Windows in the laptop (dual boot :( ), only to take skype working "normally".

Thanks..
mazaxx

Post by mazaxx »

Hi,
Same problem here. Have tried loads of fixes, from this forum and others.
I'm also on an ASUS (U36-series) laptop (mint-nadia-cinnamon 64bit), but I seem to have read about other brands having the flipped-skype problem.

I have also tried installing the Video4Linux control panel, but to no avail..

Please please, can anyone help flip the skype-cam back downside up??

Thanx !!
Enna

Post by Enna »

There seems to be no solution to the upside down camera in Mint 14... I read many posts now, also tried all the solutions that worked in older versions, but to no avail... So if there is somebody out there to find out how to flip the camera around, would be a very popular person for some :)

Cheers,
Enna

Return to “Sound”