KDE on LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ehabreda

KDE on LMDE

Post by ehabreda »

Hello everybody,

Can we open a thread to talk about KDE on LMDE.
I installed LMDE and then I added KDE from Debian QT/KDE repo. Later on I had the KDE 4.6.3 updates from testing.
Guess what? Every thing is cool!
Except one thing which is that sometimes my laptop freezes when I maximize some window because of a bug in nvidia or the xorg :?:
I don't have any questions but I would like from you to just to talk and share about your experiences or problems that you are facing with KDE.
Regards. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sumski

Re: KDE on LMDE

Post by sumski »

I'ts nvidia bug. Some users reported better behaviour with the latest beta driver
SebbyNC

Post by SebbyNC »

I'm currently running KDE 4.6.3 from the Debian testing KDE repo, and it looks fine. It is very eyecandy (to me) and a little bit resource hungry when you activate a lot of the desktop effects (you need to have 3D acceleration to get most of the effects) but you can setup which effects you like and deactivate some other effects so KDE has less footprint on the system.
I'm still not undersatnding how the Activities work. I tried to create 2 activities (network/web and Office/file management) but the activities panel disappeared and I coudn't make it appear again.
My favorite effects are the Desktop grid (to see a preview of all the virtual desktops at the same time on a grid) and the windows switcher that zooms out to show a preview of all the open windows side by side. I like the general looks of KDE better than Gnome 2.3x.
Zerozero (a forum member) suggested me to try the "Lancelot" menu application launcher as a replacement of the KDE start menu,and I like it a lot, it works similarly to the Mint Menu plugin in Gnome.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

+1 for Lancelot menu! Looks sweet and you can control some of its behavior like mouse-over.
wil

Post by wil »

Tried out KDE 4.6.3 within the past week, very fancy. :lol:

One blocker for me is that I use Chrome, it seems to lock up under KDE when opening up gmail. Under Gnome it all works well, however.

Can anyone verify that Chrome/Gmail work okay under KDE? I didn't spend much time on it, but after several attempts the issue showed up nearly every attempt.
sumski

Post by sumski »

Hopefully , we will have better support for this:

Return to “LMDE Archive”