How to install libreoffice 3.4?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
edgarkls

How to install libreoffice 3.4?

Post by edgarkls »

I want to install libreoffice 3.4 rather sooner than later (in case you wonder why: calc has improved quite a bit and I can make very good use of a couple of the added features). So far, no repo (not even experimental) actually offers a 64 bit version of libreoffice 3.4. Libreoffice themselves, however, do. I understand that I have to remove libreoffce 3.3 before I attempt to install libreoffice's debs. Since I am still very new to all of this, I'd like to ask if there are any other steps that might be absolutely necessary (for instance: do I have to run sudo apt-get autoremove after the purge of libreoffice?) before I start installing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to install libreoffice 3.4?

Post by slider »

Hi Edgarkls,

LibreOffice has an instruction page at their site > Here. Perhaps you have seen it already, but you can refer to this link just in case you get stuck on something.

Autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies on a package and that are no longer needed.

While autoremove option is not listed at their site, I can see no harm in running it as you have said. The purge option will remove the installed program and it's global configuration files, but normally not the local user files. These are usually hidden files located in your "~/" directory, containing confg files that are specific to your user account.

Please post back if you need further help or when you are done and let us know how things went.

Regards,
S :)
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
edgarkls

Post by edgarkls »

Thanks!!! Done it. Instead of

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove libreoffice
I used Synaptic to get rid of Libreoffice 3.3, though. Other than that, the installation worked like a charm.
MrPink

Post by MrPink »

@edgarkis

How has Calc improved? I use Excel because it imo is easier to make complex functions, "=IF" commands in particular.
edgarkls

Post by edgarkls »

I use a lot of external references, which has always been a pain with both Openoffice and Libreoffice. Libreoffice 3.4 has introduced many improvements here. For a complete list of bigfixes and improvements to calc (and the other parts of libreoffice), see here:

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/3-4 ... and-fixes/

For users of calc, the upgade certainly makes sense. Others shouldn't hurry.
gregb49

Re: How to install libreoffice 3.4? Central Configuration pr

Post by gregb49 »

If anyone is receiving the error
LibreOffice 3.4 - Fatal Error
The application cannot be started. A general error occurred while accessing your central configuration
as I was and has already gone through all the purge, removal advice and nothing has worked, there appears to be a simple solution at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10935250. I wish I had seen this first. Basically there is a .libreoffice folder in your Home directory. Open Nautilus (Menu - Home Folder), and click on View and click on "Show Hidden Files" then delete the .libreoffice folder.

I had this problem because I had installed Mint 11.04 over the top of 10:11, using the same account names and without formatting the partitions. Whilst that preserved many settings and files, it has thrown up the occasional problem. I don't suppose a clean installation would have such problems.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

Any time you need to get quick access to hidden files and folders like in this case, CTRL+H toggles them as hidden / visible in most file managers.

Return to “LMDE Archive”