LMDE, nvidia, intel and compiz

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zebedeeboss
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE, nvidia, intel and compiz

Post by zebedeeboss »

GeneC wrote:
It would be really appreciated if we could have the simple "Install Nvidia drivers" button like on another version
Many thanks
+1 :cry:
+2 :) Help us newbs out.... lovin LMDE (simply the best out there as it actually works right outta the box) but installing / dependancies and other general linux stuff alien to me - oh well I suppose after a few years it will be like windows in that I know most stuff... but I digress simple install please for latest graphics drivers :D
LMDE 5 Elsie | Cinnamon V5.2.7 | Kernel 5.10.0-12-amd64 | AMD Ryzen TR 2950X (32) @ 4.000GHz | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti | Display 49" 5120 x 1440 240Hz | 64GB Corsair RGB DDR4 3000MHz | 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe

Be Nice or Be Some Where Else
veronicathecow

Post by veronicathecow »

If I might add, changing the graphics drivers can be the single most important change in terms of speed of use and stability for a PC.
If newbies get low frame rates etc it will put them off.
Thanks again for LMDE
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

zebedeeboss wrote:
GeneC wrote:
It would be really appreciated if we could have the simple "Install Nvidia drivers" button like on another version
Many thanks
+1 :cry:
+2 :) Help us newbs out.... lovin LMDE (simply the best out there as it actually works right outta the box) but installing / dependancies and other general linux stuff alien to me - oh well I suppose after a few years it will be like windows in that I know most stuff... but I digress simple install please for latest graphics drivers :D

I gave up on the nvidia install.

Read here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=62953

I thought I was back to square one with the standard NV driver, after a botched nvidia install. But had issues with graphics this morning, and decided to bite the bullet and do a clean re install. Working fine now with standard driver and "gnome composting" switched on. But no open GL. Going to wait till things get simpler with Debian and my particular nvidia install.

Nvidia works perfectly on my Mint 10, and OZ Unity installs.
Debian is not real user friendly to us "newbies". :lol:
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

+1
Joakim_W

Post by Joakim_W »

I used the script and then restart my computer. Login screen is dark and compiz is not enabled. I did compiz -replace in the terminal and got this error message

Code: Select all

joakim@lmde ~ $ compiz --replace
compiz (core) - Fatal: Software rendering detected.
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
Appreciate help on this one

Edit: Still have the problem, but decided to try another distro instead.
Pranaone

Post by Pranaone »

I'm also having the same trouble as above I'm using an intel 865g gpu.
Can't seem to get 3d acceleration enabled, It used to work under Julia but not now under lmde, and compiz refuses to work with software rendering. Could someone help me?
cwgtex

Post by cwgtex »

Here is my understanding of this stuff, feel free to correct me.

For Nvidia cards on LMDE, install these packages:
  • nvidia-vdpau-driver
  • nvidia-settings
  • nvidia-kernel-common
  • nvidia-xconfig
Then you pick from three different sets of packages.

For GeForce 6xxx and newer cards (footnote1):
  • nvidia-kernel-source
  • nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-5-amd64
  • nvidia-glx
  • nvidia-kernel-dkms
For older cards (footnote2):
  • nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-source
  • nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx
  • nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx
  • nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-dkms
For even older cards (footnote3):
  • nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-source
  • nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx
  • nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx
  • nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-dkms
And make sure to remove:
  • xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
  • xserver-xorg-video-nv
  • libdrm-nouveau1
I am drawing this information from the package descriptions. See footnotes. After installing, I restarted. The desktop was distorted, so I launched "Nvidia X Server Settings" to change the resolution. I got an error, so I restated again, and everything was fine, and the resolution was set automatically.

footnote1

apt-cache show nvidia-glx
footnote2

apt-cache show nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx
footnote3

apt-cache show nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx
cwgtex

Post by cwgtex »

DeusExEx wrote:instead of using the command compiz -- replace you should do the following:

edit ~/.gnomerc and put this line in it:

export WINDOW_MANAGER=/usr/bin/compiz
this will use compiz without unnecessarily starting the original window manager - metacity - first.
(see http://www.jejik.com/articles/2008/10/h ... _in_gnome/)
Thanks for this info! Works like a charm.
cwgtex

Post by cwgtex »

After using LMDE for a while, it seems that the proprietary NVIDIA drivers and Compiz fight with each other quite a bit. For example, on Iceweasel-4.0, the toolbar colors get knocked out of whack. Grid re-sizing doesn't work properly.

The Compiz developers actually recommend sticking with nouveau.

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2010/05/ ... enchmarks/
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

cwgtex wrote:Here is my understanding of this stuff, feel free to correct me.

For Nvidia cards on LMDE, install these packages:
  • nvidia-vdpau-driver
  • nvidia-settings
  • nvidia-kernel-common
  • nvidia-xconfig
Then you pick from three different sets of packages.

For GeForce 6xxx and newer cards (footnote1):
  • nvidia-kernel-source
  • nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-5-amd64
  • nvidia-glx
  • nvidia-kernel-dkms
For older cards (footnote2):
  • nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-source
  • nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx
  • nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx
  • nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-dkms
For even older cards (footnote3):
  • nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-source
  • nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx
  • nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx
  • nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-dkms
And make sure to remove:
  • xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
  • xserver-xorg-video-nv
  • libdrm-nouveau1
I am drawing this information from the package descriptions. See footnotes. After installing, I restarted. The desktop was distorted, so I launched "Nvidia X Server Settings" to change the resolution. I got an error, so I restated again, and everything was fine, and the resolution was set automatically.

footnote1

apt-cache show nvidia-glx
footnote2

apt-cache show nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx
footnote3

apt-cache show nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx
I have tried every possible tutorial except this one ... but I will give this a try. I also desperately yearn for the simple install of NVidia drivers, but I know the application is out of development since the gentleman in charge has departed.

I must do this, because the difference is substantial.

LM 11 at idle: 505mb memory used (of 8gb), cpu consumption between 2-3%
LMDE running browser, pidgin, and xbmc: 498mb memory used (of 8gb), cpu consumption between 2-3%

Granted, that's with the opensource 2D drivers, but thats the only difference. Also, thank you for updating LMDE today, its quite nice. :)
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
twa

Post by twa »

LifeInTheGray,
I would suggest U give a look at this:
http://smxi.org/
this will take care of everything...used since my firts install of LMDE last september..never had problems.
read/understand well the tutorials b4 use (if U elect to install it)
smxi or sgfxi will take care of your NVidia drivers.
cheers
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

twa wrote:LifeInTheGray,
I would suggest U give a look at this:
http://smxi.org/
this will take care of everything...used since my firts install of LMDE last september..never had problems.
read/understand well the tutorials b4 use (if U elect to install it)
smxi or sgfxi will take care of your NVidia drivers.
cheers
twa,

Thanks for the tip. I've actually read through there, and I believe I understand how to install the script overall, but I am unsure about installing the drivers following that script. Is it a separate process that I just can't seem to find on the site, or does it automagically read what card I have, install the appopriate drivers/kernel? I've already done several different attempts with different methods, so I'm more than happy to experiment, I just don't know what to do after installing smxi. From your experience, if you could provide some clarity, I'd greatly appreciate it. :D
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

To install sgfxi, which is all you need if you are installing nvidia drivers, do this:

cd /usr/local/bin && wget -O sgfxi smxi.org/sgfxi && chmod +x sgfxi
Now logout of x, or use: ctrl+alt_f1 to exit x to console.

Login as root, type: sgfxi, hit enter. Follow what it tells you to do, which usually is just hitting enter, then at the end starting the desktop.

Sometimes with nvidia you have to reboot once to get rid of nouveau, but it will tell you that. Then do the procedure again. That's it.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

one quick question.

while using the nvidia drivers If a new kernel appears, it would it cause a breakage on Xconfig? if it does what should we do if we are brought back to the terminal?
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

h2-1 wrote:To install sgfxi, which is all you need if you are installing nvidia drivers, do this:

cd /usr/local/bin && wget -O sgfxi smxi.org/sgfxi && chmod +x sgfxi
Now logout of x, or use: ctrl+alt_f1 to exit x to console.

Login as root, type: sgfxi, hit enter. Follow what it tells you to do, which usually is just hitting enter, then at the end starting the desktop.

Sometimes with nvidia you have to reboot once to get rid of nouveau, but it will tell you that. Then do the procedure again. That's it.
Thanks for the tip man, it totally worked! At least, on the .32 stock kernel ... I updated to the .38 bpo kernel and got the same blinking cursor. I'm wiping and reinstalling and updating to the .38 kernel first, then running sfgxi afterwards, but I gotta believe there is some way to automate the reinstallation on kernel updates.

Nonetheless, thanks for the advice, I can finally sleep tonight. :)
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

you have to reinstall the driver for each kernel, or alternately, install the driver to all kernels: sgfxi -! 40
after you installed it the first time, that builds a module for each kernel found.
twa

Post by twa »

LifeInTheGray,
if U installed smxi, sgfxi is already included in the script and U do not need to run it (sgfxi).
1.print these First Run Options,
http://smxi.org/docs/navigation.htm
exit from X (ctrl+alt+F1), the console will open, log-in as root, type smxi and hit enter.
after doing the initial system check, U'll be asked a few questions for configurations (see the above First Run Options). The script has many features, many of which will only appear once to users, others of which are always there.
These are the main options you will see:
1.Script information. This section shows your current kernel, when you last used script to update system, when you last ran script, and some other information. This can be useful especially on systems you don't update that often (recommended: always upgrade at least 1 time per month. Less often is risky.)
2.Kernel Options. Offers current stable kernel as default, and offers advanced options that let you install other, older versions, as well as various other useful things.
3.dist-upgrade warning section. Offers live warnings of current and past sid problems. After you agree to continue (hint: sid is almost never in the green, trouble free state, it's usually yellow, safe but with fixes), you will see a 'update these configuration files' information piece. Take a quick look at those, and if the upgrade asks if you want to keep or replace your config file for that item, say y instead of the normal n.
4.pre dist-upgrade fixes, if any, will then run.
5.dist-upgrade section, includes error handling to let you know if upgrade went fine or exited with errors.
6.post dist-upgrade fixes will run, if any.
7.miscellaneous options including:
=package-install - groups of common package install options, including non-free stuff like flash and googleearth installer, and office installers. Note: the LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org installer offers language pack selections and some other goodies you might not be aware of. Also utility and other package install options.
=package-removal - lists of various package groups you might want to remove, like wifi, german components, etc.
=clean-up-stuff - various cleanup options, like kernel remover (note: always leave at least one old kernel installed to avoid possible future problems)
=miscellaneous-tweaks - things like the popular mozilla settings and file hander tweaks, and other things that vary over time, check it out.
kernel-options - Repeats the initial kernel options section in case you want to do something without the upgrade section, or after it.
=continue - goes on to graphics installer question
=quit - exits smxi at that point if you don't need to do anything more. Note, graphics installer has a start kde/init 5 option, so you can always use that to get back to your desktop
=graphics installer - this uses the sgfxi graphics installer to install nvdia, and usually ati fglrx
proprietary drivers (ati has been erratic over the past year, but they usually work). Also offers xorg driver install, as well as starting your x/desktop
Hope this will help U
cheers

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”