[SEMI-SOLVED] internal mic not working

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bewilderness

[SEMI-SOLVED] internal mic not working

Post by bewilderness »

Hi! I'm a newb who recently downloaded Linux Mint only to find that the system does not detect my microphone!
I looked under Sound Preferences and there is no options under "choose a device for sound input" ...I know I have a microphone because it was working under Windows...

Also, in pulse audio (I downloaded pavumeter because it worked for someone else's problem) under recording it says "no application is currently recording audio" ...

The following is my output of lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation N10 Family DMI Bridge
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation NM10 Family LPC Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8132 Fast Ethernet (rev c0)
02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
livram79

Re: internal mic not working

Post by livram79 »

Hi, bewilderness. Welcome to Linux Mint.

1) Please look at the picture attached to my post and do according to it.
2) please type lspci -vv and paste the output of Audio device section.
example:

Code: Select all

[b]00:1b.0 Audio device:[/b] Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device c072
	Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx+
	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
	Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 47
	Region 0: Memory at f0400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
	Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
3) please mention your computer details: brand, model.
livram79

Post by livram79 »

I forgot to mention: you can also type alsamixer in the Terminal and adjust the sound controls. Use left and right arrows to select a sound control, up and down arrows to adjust the volume, press M key mute/unmute. F6 to select the sound card.
bewilderness

Post by bewilderness »

*alsamixer says my mic is on, unmuted and the volume is all the way up
*I tried to do as your picture kindly suggested, but there is no "connector" option
*my computer is a gateway netbook LT2104u

Output of lspci -vv:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 034a
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 44
Region 0: Memory at 58200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
livram79

Post by livram79 »

I have just remembered. My friend had the same problem with his Gateway MD2614u. He did this and it worked:

run in the Terminal:
sudo gedit /etc/modeprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
and added

options snd_hda_intel model=laptop
options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1 enable=yes

to that file.
*Don't forget to save the file before you close it and restart your computer. Please let me know if it works.
bewilderness

Post by bewilderness »

IT WORK'D!
:D
Awesome! Thank you!!!
It was "modprobe" not "modeprobe" but I figured that was what you meant.

Thanks again!!
*popcorn*
livram79

Post by livram79 »

Glad to hear it works.
Please add in front of your Thread title [SOLVED], I mean in front of the title of your first post.
Thank you.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: another with the same [SOLVED] internal mic not working

Post by sdibaja »

I have the same problem that bewilderness had...
I have a Sager NP8170
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)

I tried opening a terminal and running: sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

that did open the alsa-base.conf file in a text editor.
I pasted in:

at the end of that file, saved, and rebooted... no change.

I do note that this was at the end of the file:
# Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
# Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2
# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-usb-audio index=-2

am I being dense or too literal?
Thanks, Peter
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
bewilderness

Re: [SEMI-SOLVED] internal mic not working

Post by bewilderness »

It took me awhile to realize this, but I'm having a problem with my mic still not working with Pulse... it works with ALSA.... I think they're different. Not sure.

Peter-- I also have the same last few lines in that file.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

alsamixer shows this:

F6 gives me this:

selecting either card with the arrow key and pressing enter does nothing, I have no idea how to activate
Peter
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I had to do all that to get mine working too.

But I had to do this also:

From my Linux Book of Shadows. lol

Acer Aspire One 532h Microphone
Got the microphone working.
In terminal: [Type]

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol

Go to: pavucontrol [PulseAudio Volume Control in Menu]
Then: Click the "input devices" tab. Click the lock icon to unlock channels. Set the front right channel to silence.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

pavucontrol is a nice tool. thanks

But, it did not solve my problem. :(
Peter
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] internal mic not working

Post by sdibaja »

I resolved my issue withe the internal microphone not being listed as an existing device... I reinstalled Mint 11.

BTW: I am sure glad I was advised to create a separate /home folder, saved a lot of work and most all settings are still recognized and active.
Peter
rkjanssenviolinist

Post by rkjanssenviolinist »

I followed all the steps, but my result was that I lost any sound. I cannot listen to my music anymore or nothing, the sound just disappeared. What do I do?
rykel98

Post by rykel98 »

wyrdoak wrote:Go to: pavucontrol [PulseAudio Volume Control in Menu]
Then: Click the "input devices" tab. Click the lock icon to unlock channels. Set the front right channel to silence.
This WORKED for my Acer Aspire One D250 microphone too... BUT do we have to do this left/right channel thingy all the time? In fact, what in the world are "front left" and "front right" referring to??

Why is microphone not a straightforward slider in Volume Control??

I hope you can enlighten me, thanks!
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

wyrdoak wrote:In terminal: [Type]sudo apt-get install pavucontrolGo to: pavucontrol [PulseAudio Volume Control in Menu]Then: Click the "input devices" tab. Click the lock icon to unlock channels. Set the front right channel to silence.
This also worked for my Asus EeePC 1005P. I do agree with @rykel88 though, it's a messy and slightly weird solution.
prawns

Post by prawns »

wyrdoak wrote:I had to do all that to get mine working too. But I had to do this also (From my Linux Book of Shadows. lol)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
It worked for me - thanks, wyrdoak. I updated Ubuntu troubleshots https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sound ... leshooting (section "Increasing very low microphone input") and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto (section "No mic working, rest OK") and posted on Polish Debian forum too http://debian.linux.pl/threads/25404-Ja ... post145845

P.S. Looks like more people might have an issue with two channels, of a microphone, that conflict resulting in low microphone input signal http://debian.linux.pl/threads/25426-Mi ... post145912
piterV

Post by piterV »

Hello! Thank a lot.
I`m new to this. But I work maybe one year ago with linuxmint. First in a Acer Aspire. And now with Medion MAM2100.
I have installed LinuxMint Release 10 (Julia) and had the same problem with the microphone, and I tried this and problem solved.
Salud!
livram79 wrote:I have just remembered. My friend had the same problem with his Gateway MD2614u. He did this and it worked:

run in the Terminal:
sudo gedit /etc/modeprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
and added

to that file.
*Don't forget to save the file before you close it and restart your computer. Please let me know if it works.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

wyrdoak wrote:sudo apt-get install pavucontrol

That's what I have to do on my Asus Eee 1001P and on Skype I also have to remove the mixer control in the Skype sound settings.
aga

Post by aga »

Working on friend's Acer Aspire One 722, on Mint 13.
Been doing lots of research with 'fixes' but, while I've made progress, there is still a problem with the internal mic.
The situation now is that, using Audacity, the mic volume is low, accompanied by lots of background noise. If I increase the volume setting, the noise and signal both increase.
Silencing one channel doesn't help or make any real difference. I tried the patch to invert one channel, but the expected option in Alsamixer didn't show up. Zooming in on the waveform, the two channels are in phase. I've added the patch to the driver, to the modprobe and to the alsa.conf with no difference.

Please, does anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks
aga

Return to “Hardware Support”