LMDE: How do you guys manage your 32bit libraries?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
r2rX

LMDE: How do you guys manage your 32bit libraries?

Post by r2rX »

Hey guys,

I've been playing around with LMDE for a while and I am quite happy with it. The only snag I've really encountered is dealing with getting 32bit libraries. The two methods i've used/tried so far are as follows:

1.) Manually downloading the 32bit lib*.deb packages, extracting them and placing the lib*.so.* files in the /lib32 folder.

2.) Installing 'getlibs-all' and downloading the necessary libraries......this method, however, is not working at the moment. It constantly fails finding ANY library file I ask.

So, for you LMDE vets, how do you manage?

r2rX :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karashata

Re: LMDE: How do you guys manage your 32bit libraries?

Post by karashata »

There are a number of packages in the repo that will install a good number of the required 32-bit libraries for most applications. The two I know are generally needed are ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk.

In the event that the libraries needed for any given application aren't installed with either of those packages, I'll generally track them down on Debian's package website, download the 32-bit version, and manually extract the contents of /usr/lib in the deb archive(s) I downloaded to the /usr/lib32 directory on my system. I had to do this for the gnome keyring libraries and the ALSA plugins in order to get one of my Adobe AIR applications working correctly, since it needs the keyring to save my account passwords, and the 32-bit ALSA plugins are required for any 32-bit application that insists on using ALSA rather than PulseAudio, in order to pipe the output through PulseAudio.
r2rX

Re: LMDE: How do you guys manage your 32bit libraries?

Post by r2rX »

Even though it can be a long process, if there are any 32bit programs that complain of library files missing, I just head to the Debian 'testing' repository and manually download the relevant libraries and place them in /usr/lib32.

That seems to work alright if they're not present in the Software/Package Manager.

r2rX :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”