Linux Mint Xfce (201104) Bug Fixes(Updated July 6th)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cpatrick08

Re: Linux Mint Xfce (201104) Bug Fixes(Updated July 6th)

Post by cpatrick08 »

merlwiz79 wrote:Ok added new menu file to fix the bad old one.
thanks for the new menu i replaced the menu but then when i shutdown my laptop and restarted it back up the menu went back to the bad old one, i was wondering how i could fix it
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

cpatrick08 wrote:
thanks for the new menu i replaced the menu but then when i shutdown my laptop and restarted it back up the menu went back to the bad old one, i was wondering how i could fix it
Don't copy it over the main file it will always get replaced with the old default.
Just save it to ~/.config/menus and the you can point it to that file instead of the default.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

merlwiz79 wrote:
cpatrick08 wrote:
Don't copy it over the main file it will always get replaced with the old default.
Just save it to ~/.config/menus and the you can point it to that file instead of the default.
i found the .config but could not find a menu folder should i create one and put it in it
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

cpatrick08 wrote:i found the .config but could not find a menu folder should i create one and put it in it
Yep just create the folder and put the file inside it.
It should use it but if not just manually select that file.
Icaho

Post by Icaho »

Thanks for that, saved me pulling my hair out :D
Timmi

Incorrect SCREEN RESOLUTIONS

Post by Timmi »

Mint xfce give me incorrect screen resolution choices, with incorrect aspect ratios.
It only offers 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480, but I'd like to fully exploit my monitor's resolution potential.

How can this be fixed? I am thinking of:
a) editing the resolutions offered (but I tried that and it doesn't retain the changes, see thread at a dead end here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=75296 )
b) "adding" a new monitor to the hardware profiles (I know how to do it in Windows, but can't seem to find where/how to do it in mint xfce).

I have an IBM S51 (P4, 3.2ghz) with a very common Intel graphics card.
My "monitor" is a tv/monitor that I've used successfully with other versions of mint, Windows, and at higher resolutions.
As long as I can get higher at 60hz it's ok. It's native resolution is 1680x1050 (but I've successfully used other resolutions with a similar aspect ratio, and even 1600x1200 in Windows whee it automatically panned vertically when I moved my mouse to the upper and lower boundaries).
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Incorrect SCREEN RESOLUTIONS

Post by merlwiz79 »

Timmi wrote:Mint xfce give me incorrect screen resolution choices, with incorrect aspect ratios.
It only offers 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480, but I'd like to fully exploit my monitor's resolution potential.

How can this be fixed? I am thinking of:
a) editing the resolutions offered (but I tried that and it doesn't retain the changes, see thread at a dead end here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=75296 )
b) "adding" a new monitor to the hardware profiles (I know how to do it in Windows, but can't seem to find where/how to do it in mint xfce).

I have an IBM S51 (P4, 3.2ghz) with a very common Intel graphics card.
My "monitor" is a tv/monitor that I've used successfully with other versions of mint, Windows, and at higher resolutions.
As long as I can get higher at 60hz it's ok. It's native resolution is 1680x1050 (but I've successfully used other resolutions with a similar aspect ratio, and even 1600x1200 in Windows whee it automatically panned vertically when I moved my mouse to the upper and lower boundaries).
You need to edit xorg.conf to add more resolutions.
What's the name and model of the laptop?
Timmi

Re: Incorrect SCREEN RESOLUTIONS

Post by Timmi »

merlwiz79 wrote:You need to edit xorg.conf to add more resolutions. What's the name and model of the laptop?
it is an IBM S51 (desktop).

A hint as to where xorg.conf is located, please? I'm new to xfce and feel a bit lost, as compared to the regular mint gnome interface where you can just search from the menu or the search function in Windows which I'm also used to. I'm a bit embarassed to ask this... but I've looked and can't seem to be able to find it if my life :? depended on it.

Also, in the initial thread, someone told me to run xrandr, and it came back with this result:
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 4096 x 4096
VGA1 connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm

I AM curious, though, as to why mint xfce doesn't just automatically give you more choices or an easy way to add another monitor which would trigger more choices.
anika200

Post by anika200 »

This may be of some use to you, http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg. As far as I know linux mint xfce 4.8 is running xorg 7.5
"I AM curious, though, as to why mint xfce doesn't just automatically give you more choices or an easy way to add another monitor which would trigger more choices."
I get the idea that this xfce version is a work in progress type deal. Perfectly usable in my opinion, matter of fact I like it but you definitely will need to do a little fiddling with certain hardware configs.
Timmi

Post by Timmi »

anika200 wrote:As far as I know linux mint xfce 4.8 is running xorg 7.5
Could you please clarify if we are talking about the same version? I am referring to the current version of Mint XFCE 201104 - is the mint xfce 4.8 that you refer to the same thing or an older version?
anika200

Post by anika200 »

is the mint xfce 4.8 that you refer to the same thing
Yes I was referring to the same release you are talking about.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

renatortb wrote:
merlwiz79 wrote: The best/proper way to do that is make a new file called 99-synaptics.conf.
It'll get used instead of the default and won't get overwritten with updates.
Clould you please give the "recipe"?
Use Save As to rename 50-synaptics.conf to 99-synaptics.conf, and apply your edits to 99-synaptics.conf.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
Timmi

Post by Timmi »

Just to simplify my previous question (I hope),

lspci reports a Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL graphics card. (pretty standard right?)

Can anyone tell me how to upgrade the video driver in Mint XFCE for that please?

And ("/or" if it is not required) to run other resolutions with an appropriate aspect ratio for modern monitors,
such as in 1650x1080 or something close in the 16:10 (or 1.6) aspect ratio.

Many others will appreciate the instructions for the more common 16:9 formats as well.
jonathan22

Post by jonathan22 »

Missing Xfce4 mintDesktop:
Download and open with Gedbi Package Installer.
http://www.4shared.com/file/LQopvC78/mi ... 4_all.html
Mirror: http://ompldr.org/vOGVuOQ/mintdesktop-x ... 04_all.deb
Compiz SETTINGS DO NOT WORK.(How to here viewtopic.php?p=413404#p413404)
Is this different from the package "mintdesktop-xfce" in the repo?
Remove Grey Border around desktop icons text:
Menu --> System --> Xfce mintDesktop
Select the System Tweaks tab and then click the Enable/Disable button next to Use white for the font color.
I didn't have Menu --> System --> Xfce mintDesktop, but got it by installing the mintdesktop-xfce package.
Doesn't reboot the computer after updates:
Caused by debian-installer getting installed.
Remove these packages:
apt remove --purge debian-installer debian-installer-launcher kexec-tools live-tools live-config live-config-sysvinit
Thank you. That worked without a problem.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Just tested the latest testing release and none of the fixes were added. :(
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Just approved for RC with all of these same bugs still there.
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Quite happy still running LM9Xfce; don't see any reason to change it at present.
However, just recently been getting 27 nested copies of Wastebin Error messages after a clean boot. Although I usually leave a load of windows and tabs open which might be an issue, it didn't start happening until a few weeks ago. Any ideas, please?

Return to “Xfce”