Laptop Touchpad

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Laptop Touchpad

Post by rcdeacon »

I need a configuration tool for the touchpad on my Acer laptop. I did not know which one would work the best. There seemed to be a few of them available. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. Also I apologize if this was posted in the wrong place. I was unsure where to post.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Laptop Touchpad

Post by antiquexray »

rcdeacon wrote:I need a configuration tool for the touchpad on my Acer laptop. I did not know which one would work the best. There seemed to be a few of them available. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. Also I apologize if this was posted in the wrong place. I was unsure where to post.
Is it working now and what do you want it to do?
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

I don't know where the configuration setup is located. Right now the touchpad is too sensitive and I need to adjust it back some.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

rcdeacon wrote:I don't know where the configuration setup is located. Right now the touchpad is too sensitive and I need to adjust it back some.
I'm at work now and really can't help you much. I can look around after I get home.

I use a script to disable my touchpad because my dragging thumbs were causing problems (it works great). I use a wireless mouse.
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

I appreciate the help antiquexray. You live in a very nice area BTW. I have been up there when I drove trucks over the road. Nice part of the country!
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

rcdeacon wrote:I appreciate the help antiquexray. You live in a very nice area BTW. I have been up there when I drove trucks over the road. Nice part of the country!
I'm not from MN, I'm from IL...and oh yeah, I did the over-the-road thing many years ago driving a corn-binder and full-blooded puppy dog; mostly trip leasing. If you know what that is you may be an old trucker too.

OK, to the task at hand, click Daryna (in the left lower corner) and then Control Center. Under hardware look for "Mouse." Click the tabs and see if that helps. If not, let me know.

PS I even drove a 318.
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

Thanks, I've got to go out for a while but I will give it a try when I get home. Take care and thanks again. I'll post the results.
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

antiquexray wrote:I'm not from MN, I'm from IL...
Check your profile ???
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

BakUp wrote:
antiquexray wrote:I'm not from MN, I'm from IL...
Check your profile ???
I live in MN, I'm not from MN.
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

Antiquexray, I found what you were talking about in the control center but there is NO way to adjust the sensitivity of the touch pad. It seems that I drag my palm across and mess myself up sometimes. In kde they have ksnapatics which gives the ability to change the sensitivity. I'm very new to Gnome and did not know if the same capabilities exist.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

rcdeacon wrote:Antiquexray, I found what you were talking about in the control center but there is NO way to adjust the sensitivity of the touch pad. It seems that I drag my palm across and mess myself up sometimes. In kde they have ksnapatics which gives the ability to change the sensitivity. I'm very new to Gnome and did not know if the same capabilities exist.
Do you have a mouse other than your touchpad? With this new forums look I haven't figured out how to find the link that will tell you how to turn off the touch pad so you don't have those problems. Let me keep looking and I'll get back to you.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

PS, I did condense those post into a tutorial, but I really have had time to proof it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”