Which ROLLING DISTRIBUTION based on Debian is right for me?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendall

Re: Which ROLLING DISTRIBUTION based on Debian is right for

Post by Kendall »

vrkalak wrote:Debian CUT . . . Constantly Usable Testing
Yes. That. Thank you sir.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Uewd wrote:Which ROLLING DISTRIBUTION based on Debian is right for me?
I want to compare ROLLING DISTRIBUTIONS based on Debian between:
1. Less manual maintenance required.
..Which ROLLING DISTRIBUTION based on Debian is right for me?
Who can say
--the best answer is as it is always, you have to try it for yourself, then decide
  • All I could tell you is that some rolling distributions may have rabid updating in place, so they will tend to break more often
    --that means less stable, and more user maintenance needed
As to speed, that's all relative, and less important than the other 3 considerations you mention..

Any rolling distribution, since none should require any maintenance at all, provided there are no glitches
--just remember as with all human endeavors: glitches can always happen (I think it is even a law, Murphy being the one)
colyn

Post by colyn »

craig10x wrote: But i prefer mInt myself...i think Mint is far more polished looking then PcLinuxOs is...they need to work on that :wink:
I agree with exploder in regards to PCLinuxOS.

As for looks...you can make it what you want by simply doing your own customization.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Wow colyn! Looks nicely customized to me! :) I do agree, you can make the OS look any way you want and the new defaults look pretty nice to start with too.
colyn

Post by colyn »

exploder wrote:Wow colyn! Looks nicely customized to me! :) I do agree, you can make the OS look any way you want and the new defaults look pretty nice to start with too.
Thanks exploder
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Just put PCLinuxOS on a computer for my 6 year old son to use. My son has been a lot of help since my foot surgery and I wanted to do something nice for him. My son likes playing the games on pbskids.org and he has no trouble understanding how to use KDE, so I loaded the KDE test 2 iso and the machine is running perfectly. My son was using a $10.00 computer I picked up on e-bay but it was just too darn slow, he should be pretty happy when he gets home!
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

exploder...do you have a link to that pclinuxos kde test iso you are using? I found the gnome version but wanted to look at the kde one also....
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

By the way guys...i wonder if what Clem is working on (snapshots of debian testing) is similar to the idea behind debian cut?
Also...when is debian cut going to be implemented...or do they not have any definite time line on it yet?
linuxuser159

Post by linuxuser159 »

is there a 64-bit version of PCLinuxOS?

it looks like there isn't
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can run a 32-bit version on 64-bit computers without any problem. And if you want to use more than 4GB memory, you can install the PAE kernel (don't know how to do that on PCLOS but I think it's in the repository).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

linuxuser159 wrote:is there a 64-bit version of PCLinuxOS?

it looks like there isn't

No

if you want 64-bit you need to compile kernel yourself
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please just use 32-bit instead of trying to compile it manually. 32-bit will just run fine on a 64-bit computer.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

AlbertP wrote:You can run a 32-bit version on 64-bit computers without any problem. And if you want to use more than 4GB memory, you can install the PAE kernel (don't know how to do that on PCLOS but I think it's in the repository).

When I installed 32-bit, the installer automatically loaded -pae kernel for my 4G Ram computer, no need to install via synaptic. However I saw the -pae in the repos long time ago when I installed pclos
colyn

Post by colyn »

craig10x wrote:exploder...do you have a link to that pclinuxos kde test iso you are using? I found the gnome version but wanted to look at the kde one also....
Scroll to the bottom and you will see it..

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/pclinuxos/live-cd/
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

When running the KDE Mini 2010 PCLinuxOS it did not load PAE Kernel on install. I had to install from synaptic. Once installed reboot the PC then you can uninstall BFS Kernel. There is also a BFS-PAE kernel you can install if you prefer. :D
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks for the link Colyn :) I'll check it out :wink:
linuxuser159

Post by linuxuser159 »

AlbertP wrote:Please just use 32-bit instead of trying to compile it manually. 32-bit will just run fine on a 64-bit computer.
sure. but 64-bit compiled software improves speed and performance, especially for demanding applications. i don't know how much linux apps progressed in this direction. 64-bit is the current trend in computing for windows.

one interesting distro i am going to try is pinguy os. it is not a rolling release but they claim to have a linux mint-like experience out of the box
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Zorin 5 is like pinguy also...not a rolling release but like LinuxMint, ready out of the box (the only codec they don't include is libdvdcss for encrypted dvd but you can get the "deb file" from the medibuntu website for that in like two minutes...It is very attractive and nicely packaged...

Next to Mint, It is my other favorite (non-rolling) distro.... :D
colyn

Post by colyn »

craig10x wrote: (the only codec they don't include is libdvdcss for encrypted dvd but you can get the "deb file" from the medibuntu website for that in like two minutes...
In PCLinuxOS both libdvdcss2 and win32-codecs are in the repo so you don't have to enable additional repo's to get the little extras.

I like the idea of a single repo as opposed to multiple repo's..
linuxuser159

Post by linuxuser159 »

craig10x wrote:Zorin 5 is like pinguy also...not a rolling release but like LinuxMint, ready out of the box (the only codec they don't include is libdvdcss for encrypted dvd but you can get the "deb file" from the medibuntu website for that in like two minutes...It is very attractive and nicely packaged...

Next to Mint, It is my other favorite (non-rolling) distro.... :D
zorin looks nice too. it uses kde. pinguy uses gnome.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”