how to setup bootloader on second hard drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Re: how to setup bootloader on second hard drive

Post by BakUp »

willywillhym wrote:I currently have two hard drives on my computer, I want to install Mint Linux KDE DVD on my second drive, drive B in my case. How can I set it up so there is a distinct bootloader on hard drive B? Is this what the "advanced" feature is for prior to formating the drive? Any help would be much appreciated.
I do not think there are many people around here today to help you. Most USA users are traveling for the Thanksgiving Holiday. I will try to get you started here but I will be leaving soon myself. I'll check this post again tomorrow to see if anyone has helped you yet.

1st, you will have to give us more info.....you knew that correct :-)

Your 1st hard drive is hd0 and your second hard drive would be hd1 in Linux terms, Linux starts out with "0" instead of "1", you need to learn this while posting. So your 1st partition on your first hard would be hda1, the second partition would be hda2. The 1st partition of your second HD would be hdb1, and the second partition would be hdb2 so on and so forth.

Now, what we need from you is:

1. what is on the first HD partitions and what are the partition sizes and file system ?
2. what size is the second hard drive that you will be putting Mint on ?
3. what file system do you want to use for Mint on the second hard drive ?
4. how many partitions are you going to set up for Mint on this drive ? You will need / and swap for sure. Then you also have options to use a partition or extended partition for /home.

Please do searches on this forum and also google for Linux file systems, Linux partitions, Linux home partitions, mount points. You need to do some more learning before you attempt an install, or least it is advisable. There is all kinds of threads in the forums here for exactly what you are looking for. Take your time and when you are ready post back if you have any doubts or still need help. We will be glad to help you then.

BakUp
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Re: how to setup bootloader on second hard drive

Post by BakUp »

willywillhym wrote:OK on that note, when you activate the advanced feature before install, the bootloader listed is hd0, would this be the first section of the drive you have chosen (in my case hdb), or do you need to specify hdb0?
Mint it a bit more tricky on the bootloader issue than other distro's, you definitely want to get this right or your looking for troubles, big troubles.
I would accept hd1 or hdb1 because I am asuming your swap is hdb2 ? Correct ? It will not put grub on your swap. Ubuntu and Mint are real good at recognizing other distros, so if you every install another distro some day you can just add it to your Mint Menu.lst.

Sounds like you are good to go.......

Return to “Installation & Boot”